Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

That is a very specific percentage, 82%….did you code an algorithm to achieve thatROTF
It was higher than 82 to begin with, of course. But as reality set in I had to start adjusting the goalposts, modifying the targets as the actuals came in you might say. I fully expect to settle on about 65% as the mark of ship-modelling perfection at some point in the not too distant future...

It was higher than 82 to begin with, of course. But as reality set in I had to start adjusting the goalposts, modifying the targets as the actuals came in you might say. I fully expect to settle on about 65% as the mark of ship-modelling perfection at some point in the not too distant future...
I would be quite happy with a 66,67% rating...

I would be quite happy with a 66,67% rating...
That’s only 2/3rds rating… and an evil number! ROTF
Mark, Dean and Johan attempt to mathematically define the relative term “ good enough” ROTF . I will take some pics now and show Grants good enough.……been a couple of those laborious cut, glue and repeat processes.Sleep. Cheers Grant

Good morning. The past few days have been o_OSleep I.E. repetitive and enough to institutionalise.

Added the PS fake frames (most POB kits do it this way)which run up the bulkheads on the stern (by the tennis court;)) and continued framing gun ports on SB side. Still WIP- this never seems to endROTF

0C51E081-6B26-4296-BD9D-0670A3B8F6FF.jpeg
ECCF6466-8237-44FB-A697-0BBABB50389D.jpeg
The fun part was making the base for the small hand cannons. This is African walnut and has a different shade. I quite like it. I redesigned this, as how my cannons are fitted will be different to the Cazador kit. The kit had these so low the crew would have to be on their knees to operate these. On Grants Xebec these will also be removable for alternative placement facing forward on another part of the ship depending on battle strategy.
87F6723A-97A1-4ED6-8DB5-F2A70AE55C30.jpeg
Now to get my dremel and sand the tops down so rails fit.
Cheers Grant.
PS apologies, I did not show how I made and redesigned the upper stern bulkhead and cannon ports - I will post later - Admiral wants morning teaROTF.

Hi Grant,
I love the idea to change the positions of the swivel guns. They should be placed on top of the railing wich is the correct position. With Cazador, the kitmaker had another idea what you so colorfuly described. ROTF
Your work is looking very very good and you've mastered this build! Thumbs-Up

A lot of talking about "good enough "or " 82 %", and such things, are not worthy of a ship looking as good as this Grant.
Of course there will be some flaws, but most of these flaws will only be seen by the builder, and not by someone who is admiring "Grants Cazador "

My compliments for this lovely ship

Hi Grant,
I love the idea to change the positions of the swivel guns. They should be placed on top of the railing wich is the correct position. With Cazador, the kitmaker had another idea what you so colorfuly described. ROTF
Your work is looking very very good and you've mastered this build! Thumbs-Up
Good afternoon Peter. Coming from you this compliment means a lot. Thanks. I’ve had a lot of fun doing things differently (as you are :D ) and I did consider doing the hand cannons like yours (so awesome) but I had to try something different. Went for 4 ports each side, heightened and made smaller. Needed to be a little real and look reasonable and this is what came out:D. What I am going to do for decorations I have no idea….…ROTF. And no I cannot carve as stunning as yourself;).
Cheers Grant

A lot of talking about "good enough "or " 82 %", and such things, are not worthy of a ship looking as good as this Grant.
Of course there will be some flaws, but most of these flaws will only be seen by the builder, and not by someone who is admiring "Grants Cazador "

Good afternoon. Thank you. This is seriously appreciated. Cheers Grant

Mostly fun is had but as we all know those cut glue repeat ….repeat….repeat…processes can drive us mad. When done we “kind of feel good” about the outcome though. Cheers Grant
…. and so we are back to Paul’s rehab/therapy post and don’t forget he also said he has no fingerprints left from sanding ROTF

Good afternoon Paul. Thank you. My thoughts exactly when viewing your frame by frame, sanding and more sanding process. ;).Cheers Grant

Now on a more serious note, I’m really enjoying you build, interpretation, adaptability and a few other complimentary words :).

I agree, well over 82% Grant! :)

Back