Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Yes, Le Requin is a great example of inspiration. For my ship as well. However, the Cazador kit is different in many ways so you really have to bash a lot of things to get in the same area as Le Requin. I really like your approach on the Fore and it will be a great addition to your model and other builders will follow for sure.
It's almost tempting to build another Xebec after this one and follow your lead on this on, maybe I'll get to it in the future. Who knows. :)
Good morning Peter. The temptation to build another Xebec is certainly there for me as well. If I did I would buy the POF Le Requin model from ZHL in boxwood. Don’t know if I would do that kit justice tho….maybe a kit for another time Thumbsup

Ah! Do I see a sewing machine and sails in your future as well? :D
Good morning Daniel. Sails or no sails. My decision will be made by default. I am going to make them - will make Arlene (the Admiral) very happy and then nicely “beg” to use her sewing machine ROTF. If they come out well I will have sails- if not…no sails . Cheers Grant

Good morning. It has been a hectic few days. It has been holidays here in SA however my extra long week end was spent finalising some business arrangements. Ah well these thing happen.

Some more of the same. The railing support, the small wale under the gun ports and treenails (not complete) done on the portside.
Of course I scratch the paint on the main wale but that is expected from Grant. Plenty clean up to be done.
F745D64C-462D-4027-952F-0CD6B3F35408.jpeg

Cheers Grant

Good morning Daniel. Sails or no sails. My decision will be made by default. I am going to make them - will make Arlene (the Admiral) very happy and then nicely “beg” to use her sewing machine ROTF. If they come out well I will have sails- if not…no sails . Cheers Grant
Sandy made mine, and they turned out well. I think you’ll like this baby with her brilliant lateens.

With this close-up shot the painting of the wales looks pretty good to perfect to me. I do dig the green on the top! Thumbs-Up I'm looking forward on your ship with sails from Arlene's the Admirals sewing machine. :cool:
Good afternoon Peter. Thanks. Hopefully you will be doing sails as well so maybe I will have some reference material to refer toThumbsup . Cheers Grant

I can’t even see the problem close up. Maybe I need more powerful glasses.
Good afternoon Vic. Thanks. It just those chips in the veneer I tend to make. I’m not the most gentle model builder.
Sandy made mine, and they turned out well. I think you’ll like this baby with her brilliant lateens.
Maybe I should up the negotiation to follow your example and see if Arlene will also make some sails for my Xebec- definitely will be better than what I will do one day. Cheers Grant

Good morning Peter. The temptation to build another Xebec is certainly there for me as well. If I did I would buy the POF Le Requin model from ZHL in boxwood. Don’t know if I would do that kit justice tho….maybe a kit for another time Thumbsup
For what I've seen of your work I'm 100% sure you'd make justice to Le Requin kit. Great work as usual Grant!

Good afternoon. Ricochet rabbit - nickname curtesy of Paul ( @dockattner ) , at it again.

In a previous post I showed the triangle scuppers on the out side of the hull. Diagram :
E4D10A3E-E271-4B75-84B4-7B236ED578AA.png
I “stole” this from Sasha’s incredible Victory log (@Alexander74 ). Side note : this probably the best Victory I have seen being built and as I built one it is of particular interest.

One can see for each scupper a lead scupper has to be on the deck by the waterway. At my scale I could not get all the detail so a Simple hole was drilled into the deck keeping symmetry with the scupper hull holes.

44D9488B-A431-4C45-9ECA-D4C4E833985C.jpeg
I also jumped around again and added some bulkwark supports to my lower bulwarks ( so many to make on this xebec) on the poop deck .
2256F87A-BB4D-4DE2-AB6C-026C87358DF9.jpeg
Finally I some overall pics of progress thus far. I do think the “treenails” on the lower hull below the wale was a waste of effort as they can hardly be seen. (Only on portside- I’m not sure I will do these on the starboard side - a lot of effort for naught)

3F82202A-6C50-4A08-AE81-4E578B8660F6.jpegF9E52AA0-3F5C-48CC-B733-C914C8358090.jpeg
Still not sexy Paul but getting there ;) .

A load of fettling and clean up and some poly to do so I think she will be good.

Cheers Grant

Back