Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

Good morning. Every once in a while I visit the big boys playground- the scratch build logs. I do this to see how things should be done and to face the realisation of what a “noob” I am. It’s worth spending an hour or two reading through these guys logs. Cheers Grant
I've come to appreciate a lot of build logs, those being of various level. Every build log has something to learn from and some logs leave you behind with a bewildered feeling of incompetence.

Like the profile you cut into the wood! It's not standard as well, so nice job. The stem isn't an easy part of the build, looks like you are doing it with ease!
Good morning Peter. Thank you. I did struggle a lot with the stem and symmetry of the bowsprit. With my changes to the hull shape I got it marginally wrong- like less than a mm. I can’t see it the the eye but when reshaping the cheeks they did not match exactly. As you add parts the error gets bigger…… Still I’m happy so far:D

Grant, your Xebec is turning out to be a delicate, spoiled little lady :)cool:), especially when considering your interpretation of the bowsprit. Lovely work.Thumbsup
Good morning Johan. Thank you. When I started with my ideas for changing this Xebec, I had many doubts…..I still do but now they are only a fewROTF….I’m pretty chuffed how things are evolving right now. Jury still out though. Cheers Grant

Good morning
The stern….Grants scratch building attempt:

The entire stern from extending the hull and structures, to the bulkheads, transom, rudder stem, false keel etc has been scratch build…..well a lot of parts from kit modified more than scratch.

Time to add the “hanging stern” (I have no idea what this is called). Sorry guys no construction photos- just went full throttle. ;) .
Parts:
030D5012-F3E5-407A-99A4-2690757EFBCD.jpeg
1. Made the grating- I had to glue two together as the kit gratings are too short and wanted an open look without joins. I framed it with lime wood
2. The overhang extensions are longer than the kit so I made these from scrap wood and planked with 0.7mm lime veneer. Painted black. 3 Nails were inserted into the ends and holes drilled into transom for strength
3. Bent 2 left over Victory planks (walnut) for the upper bulkwark to fit onto later.
4. Made the upper stern bulwarks 8mm planked the outer Sapele and inner lime veneer. Drilled holes for the small cannon. Will be fitted later.

Outcome:
Full throttle wipe out: I put the grating on upside downRedface so the grating pattern is not what ships of this period reflect. Swear jar full……Speechless. Too much strengthen nails etc, so I’m not going to redo this. I will break the transom and planking if I undid this.

Here we go : WIP.
56AA5574-7680-46F7-9316-BD6FB4772E95.jpeg8559A7AD-9D03-4ED8-85AD-6F54C2EDE010.jpeg67BE4809-3C62-4F02-BC86-94967E78B932.jpeg
32721F19-04EC-4B31-ABEB-FB923918144B.jpeg

Once I have cleaned up, finished sanding and poly’ed the hull and the work I have done I will present the hull shape and look of Grants Xebec. I’m chuffed and she has SEXY lines. :D:D. Cheers Grant

06894014-6F7A-4D01-9AF9-F6E1F827D20E.jpeg

Good morning
The stern….Grants scratch building attempt:

The entire stern from extending the hull and structures, to the bulkheads, transom, rudder stem, false keel etc has been scratch build…..well a lot of parts from kit modified more than scratch.

Time to add the “hanging stern” (I have no idea what this is called). Sorry guys no construction photos- just went full throttle. ;) .
Parts:
View attachment 376607
1. Made the grating- I had to glue two together as the kit gratings are too short and wanted an open look without joins. I framed it with lime wood
2. The overhang extensions are longer than the kit so I made these from scrap wood and planked with 0.7mm lime veneer. Painted black. 3 Nails were inserted into the ends and holes drilled into transom for strength
3. Bent 2 left over Victory planks (walnut) for the upper bulkwark to fit onto later.
4. Made the upper stern bulwarks 8mm planked the outer Sapele and inner lime veneer. Drilled holes for the small cannon. Will be fitted later.

Outcome:
Full throttle wipe out: I put the grating on upside downRedface so the grating pattern is not what ships of this period reflect. Swear jar full……Speechless. Too much strengthen nails etc, so I’m not going to redo this. I will break the transom and planking if I undid this.

Here we go : WIP.
View attachment 376602View attachment 376603View attachment 376604
View attachment 376608

Once I have cleaned up, finished sanding and poly’ed the hull and the work I have done I will present the hull shape and look of Grants Xebec. I’m chuffed and she has SEXY lines. :D:D. Cheers Grant

View attachment 376605
Good looking stern, Grant.
I am kind of surprised though, to see a rectangular extension. I guess I was totally pre-sorted for a trapezoidal extension. Is there any rationale behind your rectangular sun deck? Garden furniture perhaps?

Very neat work, Grant. Wonderful deck planking, it comes into its own in the picture.
Yet she's looking great Grant.
Fabulous work, I'm waiting for your next update
Awesome work Grant!!
Wonderful clean and tidy work Grant. I agree with Tobias that planking looks great.
Good morning and thank you guys. The likes and comments from SOS guys always keeps me motivated to try to better. It is appreciated. Cheers Grant

Good looking stern, Grant.
I am kind of surprised though, to see a rectangular extension. I guess I was totally pre-sorted for a trapezoidal extension. Is there any rationale behind your rectangular sun deck? Garden furniture perhaps?
That is certainly a different looking stern, Grant. Never seen anything quite like it. But it's a tribute to your creativity and precision.
Good morning Johan and Vic. Thanks for the compliments. Johan I will make a nice bench for you ;) ….
Vic I wish I could claim creative license but I have modelled my ship on a simplified version of the Le Requin with some Grants creativity.
I have detailed diagrams of the Le Requin and the stern was built around these. I have tried to keep all my changes realistic of a 18th Century Xebec. The Le Requin diagrams angle more obtuse than mine. (Blue Arrow).A member on this forum earlier explained to me the Le Requin diagrams were wrong and this is a rectangular deck (Red arrow) which I made- was also easier so suited my skills:D.
00624F36-4114-4A48-8972-47215C43D39A.jpeg
Most of my changes have been based on these diagrams and others I have- note my bowsprit is very similar to this as well. My hull dimensions, deck shape and base structure is in proportion to these diagrams.
I don’t want to make a bastardised version of the Le Requin so I attempt the fittings and aesthetics to be more Arabic for my Corsairs Xebec. Cheers Grant

Good morning Johan and Vic. Thanks for the compliments. Johan I will make a nice bench for you ;) ….
Vic I wish I could claim creative license but I have modelled my ship on a simplified version of the Le Requin with some Grants creativity.
I have detailed diagrams of the Le Requin and the stern was built around these. I have tried to keep all my changes realistic of a 18th Century Xebec. The Le Requin diagrams angle more obtuse than mine. (Blue Arrow).A member on this forum earlier explained to me the Le Requin diagrams were wrong and this is a rectangular deck (Red arrow) which I made- was also easier so suited my skills:D.
View attachment 376736
Most of my changes have been based on these diagrams and others I have- note my bowsprit is very similar to this as well. My hull dimensions, deck shape and base structure is in proportion to these diagrams.
I don’t want to make a bastardised version of the Le Requin so I attempt the fittings and aesthetics to be more Arabic for my Corsairs Xebec. Cheers Grant

You know that the stern of Requin is actualy wrong? They never corrected it on the drawings tho, but the lines of the stern should actually follow the lines of the bulwarks. I believe this was discussed many times over on a French forum. Le Requin and Indiscret were sisterships and part of a total of 4 Chebecs commisioned to be build.

1685343918188.png

Below a picture of Indiscret and you see the similarities with Le Requin.

1685344577648.png

0jpck3m-jpg.114473

Sorry to be the one to burst the bubble. I see that there is a kit from China who copied the mistake in the plans to their model. I believe they copied the plans of Ancre 1:1.
However, can you live with the mistake or correct it, that's the 1000 USD question.....
I do love you try to recreate Le Requin from the Cazador kit. :)

Last edited:
You know that the stern of Requin is actualy wrong? They never corrected it on the drawings tho, but the lines of the stern should actually follow the lines of the bulwarks. I believe this was discussed many times over on a French forum. Le Requin and Indiscret were sisterships and part of a total of 4 Chebecs commisioned to be build.

View attachment 376764

Below a picture of Indiscret and you see the similarities with Le Requin.

View attachment 376765

0jpck3m-jpg.114473

Sorry to be the one to burst the bubble. I see that there is a kit from China who copied the mistake in the plans to their model. I believe they copied the plans of Ancre 1:1.
However, can you live with the mistake or correct it, that's the 1000 USD question.....
I do love you try to recreate Le Requin from the Cazador kit. :)
Good morning Peter.Thank you for all this. Luckily I’m not making the Le Requin or Le Indiscret.;). I based a lot of what I have changed on the Le Requin design just to keep a degree of authenticity but it is very different. I have looked at the debate on the Le Requin stern design and I am happy to find some more info on its correctness. I also looked at some Indiscret models and did notice the difference to the Requin models. It would be interesting to find some more references (so little on these Xebecs) as I do enjoy doing some research. I miss it as on the Victory there is loads of info and discussions.

From Grant Xebec point of view I like rectangle design as if I followed the curve the backend would be narrow on my ship and I want a nice coat of arms on it. Thanks again- PS I am missing your build log. Cheers Grant

From Grant Xebec point of view I like rectangle design as if I followed the curve the backend would be narrow on my ship and I want a nice coat of arms on it. Thanks again- PS I am missing your build log. Cheers Grant
Well than, rectangle shape it is on Grant's Xebec. :)
I'm struggeling on my sails and especially how to make these. I have no sewing service found yet. :rolleyes:
Then I'm still puzzeling on the running rigging part of the build. I have studied the plans of the Ancre Monograph, but the rigging part isn't the best I've seen.
The Parrel part of each yard is the biggest mistery of all. But, I'm sure I've figuered it all out before you get to it and so you can decide it to use it as a guide. :cool:

Back