Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit)

Your sails and rigging look fantastic Grant!!!
Good afternoon Daniel. Thanks. I am battling with this rigging. The old British ships like the Victory and your Fly had very “lateral “ rigging. It made sense and once understood everything just worked. With these large lateen sails and rigging, while it all works, it is a mission to keep scale and symmetry. The rope work is way more difficult for myself than the Victory, although 100 time less in volume.
Cheers Grant

Good afternoon
I bunked the office today- sometimes it is nice owning your own company…..and then sometimes notROTF.

Similar to Mizzen for the main mast :
63FE740B-2AC3-41B2-B158-439603DD9B9A.jpegF2ECE30C-D88D-44F0-83DC-189BE0CB1DFA.jpegB7BB06EC-E0D5-40C1-809F-656D280274AA.jpeg
Installing the additional cleat and tying off the parrel halyard in that tiny space between the mast and bell tower was a mission…. Plenty *^%#! #%^!…..

OH.. I am running out of single sheave ebony 5mm blocks so I used a double sheave block rather than making a violin block for the parrel block and tackle (the brown rope) I’m not buying anything more for this ship.

Cheers Grant

Good afternoon
I bunked the office today- sometimes it is nice owning your own company…..and then sometimes notROTF.

Similar to Mizzen for the main mast :
View attachment 437626View attachment 437625View attachment 437627
Installing the additional cleat and tying off the parrel halyard in that tiny space between the mast and bell tower was a mission…. Plenty *^%#! #%^!…..

OH.. I am running out of single sheave ebony 5mm blocks so I used a double sheave block rather than making a violin block for the parrel block and tackle (the brown rope) I’m not buying anything more for this ship.

Cheers Grant
A lot of pages, pictures and progress during my 6 days offline. It’s looking better and better by every step, Grant.
Regards, Peter

Dear Grant
the sails and rigging work look fantastic Okay:)
A lot of pages, pictures and progress during my 6 days offline. It’s looking better and better by every step, Grant.
Regards, Peter
Shota and Peter I thank you guys. I do appreciate you checking my Xebecs progress.
Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Sasha. I recall your post however I had already made the Mizzen. To make all the sails uniform I am continuing with this fault, although all the Xebec models I have viewed have the reef lines up by the yard. (See pic)
View attachment 437624

It is probably incorrect as I am not familiar with the historical accuracy of these sails. I have done the monkey see monkey do approach. The actual “clew lines” or reefing running rigging I am going to change as Vladimir’s picture shows, although most builds have it as mine currently shows. My reef line colour is the same as my running rigging although the photo does make them look darker.

Thanks for your input, I always enjoy learning from you.
Cheers Grant

As I came to understand is that the top reef lines are to tie off the sails to the yards when fully reefed. Keep in mind that most theoretical sources are “modern” and there are not many hostorical sources that tell us how it really was on this ship.
Then ofcourse, Occre and Ancre and others copied modern literature and also copied each others mistakes. So, when building a ship like this, you have to make many choises to proceed, accept and go on!

I love your work Grant, the sails are really impressive and so is your rigging work!

As I came to understand is that the top reef lines are to tie off the sails to the yards when fully reefed. Keep in mind that most theoretical sources are “modern” and there are not many hostorical sources that tell us how it really was on this ship.
Then ofcourse, Occre and Ancre and others copied modern literature and also copied each others mistakes. So, when building a ship like this, you have to make many choises to proceed, accept and go on!

I love your work Grant, the sails are really impressive and so is your rigging work!
Good morning Peter. Thank you for the compliment. Im have been struggling with the rigging and sails on this ship. Sails I understand being my first attempt, however I can’t get my rigging to work for me. I sort of understand how it all works now, however just can’t seem to get things tied off nicely. Ha my own lack of skill issue ROTF. Running out of blocks and cleats doesn’t help much either. Still having loads of fun. I agree with your reef line synopsis. I am going to change the clew lines a little to match more like the picture Vladimir sent tho- I just like the angled look more. Cheers Grant

Good morning. I forgot to show you Grants design to keep the oversize kit parrel fitting nicely.

I started to accurate way, however had to add a second strop and toggle to keep everything pulling up nicely. Logically the yard would still be able to be hoisted and lowered with this….hmmmm;). I have written on the photo as I can’t get a good one showing each individual aspect.2F5873EC-082A-4551-A3BC-3CA544B83446.jpeg3C7F4DD5-1DD9-4888-8F87-06DB2DBEBC20.jpeg
Cheers Grant

Good afternoon.
The admiral is on a hike for the WE, Justin went waterskiing with his mates and Ashtyn in Canada. I am left all alone….shipyard timeROTF.

Rigging the main sail. Boy, oh boy this ships rigging was more difficult than the Victory. Just way less. Every rope tension changes the yard angle both vertically and horizontally. The ships bell tower had a Grant attack…. (permanently in my way - TIP : leave this off until after you have rigged the main sail).

Today the reef lines, main yard stays (these run on top of the yard through the sheaves on top of the mast. They are used to pull the yard forward or aft). They also take a fair amount of the weight of the yard supporting the main halyard . The back stay and two side stays also completed.

Pics :
Grant attack…Bell destroyed:
673A2790-6C3E-4038-A4FF-4D8CC604D81B.jpeg
The “main yard stays” from the top of the yard, fore and aft. (no idea what these are called)
EE873E06-295D-4BD1-9EA0-68747122FE78.jpeg7F94D4EC-621D-4229-8280-6C1A2F2D1C5E.jpegAD306D06-A695-459F-92A4-D8008F448A9A.jpeg
These are tied off via violin block and tackle with hooks. Falls run to rope coils. Still need to finish the coils.
0F9B2B21-5831-4358-9BA1-11A8B87610FC.jpeg
CB8D2265-EDD4-4A1D-A697-4DC6F55D3577.jpeg
99706FE6-9AEE-46B8-8492-3BCDBD915D97.jpeg
Here we go…..I decided to have the sails roughly semi furled. Tied the reef/clew lines to the cleats at the base of the mast with some scrappy hanks.
898C1672-6503-44DC-B32A-08695787C845.jpeg
Pics of whole ship look and feel so far:
CB4ECC77-9EA1-4F78-A90F-DDA88698B716.jpegFEAA9EA4-8A72-4CB1-8CC2-D01E11F9FB08.jpeg95427FD9-C4A5-4B0D-BD8F-048B8DDDB8C8.jpeg
This is what happens when I am left at home alone….
Cheers Grant

Hi Grant. I can't comment too much on the rigging (the Xebec's special configuration is completely foreign to me) other than to say it looks exceptionally neat. However, I can say a lot about the hull. I cannot believe the massive impact that the very subtle green line that runs underneath the top bulwark has on the erest of the ship. The way you have repeated that on your longboat is a masterclass in subtlety - yet it is remarkably visible. I just love it!

Very nice work! It’s a “simple” rigging design, but not easy to make. It is what you described, when pulling on one rope, everything changes and needs some adjustments. The scale doesn’t help either, lol!

You just set a great example for others to follow!

Peter

Hi Grant. I can't comment too much on the rigging (the Xebec's special configuration is completely foreign to me) other than to say it looks exceptionally neat. However, I can say a lot about the hull. I cannot believe the massive impact that the very subtle green line that runs underneath the top bulwark has on the erest of the ship. The way you have repeated that on your longboat is a masterclass in subtlety - yet it is remarkably visible. I just love it!
Good morning Heinrich. I used that green, a moss green, on my Victory Pinnace. I really like the colour however never thought I would use it again. I had to break the lime and Sapele wood so the moss green came out again:). Thanks for the compliment and having a look at my Xebec. Cheers Grant

Back