H.M.A.V Bounty, Constructo 1:50

I should have started this build log some time ago, here goes anyway.

I got this ship from a friend who started the build but got frustrated and gave up. When I got this ship it was partly under way and I was concentrating on building Endeavour. I put Bounty away for a while and then started back on the Bounty.

Hello Mike, that's a fine looking hull, will look impressive when fully complete. Does it have sails? or will it be rigged without.
Regarding shaky hands, there is a green colored masking tape, from Lowes most likely, that comes in varying widths and when put ontop of pre painted surfaces will not lift the underlying paint. The narrower widths can be laid to follow a curve and does not leave the paint with the raggedy edges like the white masking tape does, great for doing pinstriping.
My college semester finishes in a few weeks time so I will have six months building to do two months (yeah right!!)
Every day when I sit at my desk doing homework the Endeavour hull is within scratching distance begging me to work on it! most of the time it is in the way but it remains there as a stark reminder.
Look forward to your build log.
Regards
Eric

Thanks Eric,
This model does have sails and yes I am planning on using them. I also have two falconets left over from Endeavour I thinking of using. I know that bounty only had 10 Culverins but I had to add a brace on the hand rails. It looks like a gun mount.
Are you going to school or are you teaching.

Hi Mike, no I'm just a student, at 63 the oldest student in the class and the college and older than my teachers!
I am doing a Diploma of Software Development learning two computer languages Java and C#(sharp) which is above C++.
My last foray into computer languages was in the '80's doing BASIC on a Commodore 64, although the intention is the same the syntax is somewhat different.

Regards
Eric

Hi Eric,
I thought I was a late bloomer when I got my BSN, RN at age 56. Bravo my friend. it is never to late.

Many of the accessories for this build are missing so I am having to fabricate or substitute several of the fittings. I just finished with the windlass. I bought a windlass kit from Syren Ships and adapted it to fit the Bounty. I am also substituting a custom ships wheel, aand rigging blocks I got from Syen Ships.
Eric, I used the tape you recommended and it works great.

Thanks Gary, :
I think it was you who told me about the Syen Ship Co. They have a lot of real nice stuff and even have some projects for scratch builders. They are a little pricey but nice stuff.

Very nice platform to start off with.

Donnie

Thanks Donnie,
The deck is really starting to come together. The ships wheel I built didn't turn out all that nice due to my lack of expertise. I used it any way even though I was less than happy with it. I think it goes better with the ship than the metal one that came with the kit.

I've taken some liberties with a few of the deck parts. I used a different ships bell. and I made The windlass from parts of another ship.

Thank you Gary and Eric. I am a bit anxious to see her finished. However that only makes me put more hours per day in my work-shop. SoMe big drawbacks to this hobby are:
1. Lots of tools and special tools
2. Lots of spare parts
3. Large warehouse of assorted wood

AND THE BIGEST DRAW BACK OF ALL IS

NOT ENOUGH ROOM!

All seriousness aside, I did read an article on the interesting net about Bounty. It seams that Captain Bligh was no more cruel than any other sea Captain of the time. Marlon Brando was simply a mutineer.

Thing is, his cruelty is more documented than others and it seems that 'Mr. Christian' was just a "wuss*"

* wimp, sissy
Australian Slang
coward; nervous person or animal
exceedingly pathetic - perhaps this is a bit harsh.

The former Queensland State Premier Anna Bligh is a direct decendant of Captain Bligh, thank goodness she did not have any of her ancestors traits.

Regards
Eric

Hi Eric,
Bligh was the real sailor though. Imagine sailing a Jolly Boat over crowded, with 18 of his loyal men and very little almost no food and water. They sailed 3500 miles over open ocean to Coupang in Timor. Losing only one man on the journey.
I was on board an LPD The USS Dubuque (LPD8) during a Typhon in 30 foot seas. I can't imagine doing that in a dingy.

Back