H.M.S Enterprise plank on frame CAF Models 1/48.

Good-day, John. I doubt it would be possible to improve on D Antscherl. Firstly, he has been a ship-modeller since he was a boy. Secondly he reveals the details of each stage of building in very considerable detail with excellent diagrams and photographs. This would be a fascinating topic in its own right - but the book will save you many hours of puzzlement and frustration. It will cover any ship for the period 1760 - 1800 for reasons I take the liberty to explain below.
You will know, I have no doubt, that the Royal Dockyards were the largest industrial enterprise in Europe in this period.The Admiralty insisted on precise standards of construction, materials and dimensions. This was partly in an attempt to control corruption, the scale of which was notorious - government work.
Combined with the conservative nature of the Master Shipwrights it is fair to say that construction methods were largely similar for a long period of time and also across several classes of ship by Rate. Furthermore, there were no power tools/production machinery in this era so a standard construction process was essential for building precision and, consequently, seaworthiness. To say nothing of absorbing the shock of recoil on firing a broadside when 'doing the business'.

Volume II commences with Chapter 7 and deals with the counter-timbers. Thereafter the framing of the decks, the ship's fittings ... it's a masterpiece.

I hope this helps - and I that I do not hear the sound of sucking eggs!

Aye,
Hamish.

Hi guys,
been busy in my workshop the last few weeks and have an update on my Enterprise build.

Photos below are the deck fittings, all assembled and painted. Ready for installation. The second photo is the considerable amount of cast metal fittings. They have been given the Casey black solution to blacken the brass. I'm very pleased with the result.

A very enjoyable read Brian and excellent work my friendThumbsupDespite the kits shortcomings regarding instructions,you get an awful lot for your money,I wouldn't relish the thought of cutting all that timber myself,far too much monotony to be enjoyable.Never mind the fact if I was to buy enough Pear in the UK to produce that we are talking four figures!
I am envious of your workshop,what a lovely space to work in.Lastly,I have never seen one of those tumblers,something to consider,it looks like it saves lots of remedial work by hand.

Kind Regards

Nigel

A very enjoyable read Brian and excellent work my friendThumbsupDespite the kits shortcomings regarding instructions,you get an awful lot for your money,I wouldn't relish the thought of cutting all that timber myself,far too much monotony to be enjoyable.
Nigel

Hi Nigel, not much timber cutting involved at all. Its all laser cut and you pop out the parts from a timber sheet.

Brian, Birchwood Casey Black Blackening Solution blandet 25-1,
It's the same chemical I bought, didn't show that you should mix it with water.
I have not yet come to the brass work yet.
Right now I'm making three nails, something I've never tried before.
The drawing board is from Modelexpo.

Been busy today, and glued up a few more parts.

This is the stern deadwood assembly under construction with black paper caulking between the joints. i will sandpaper and clean it up when the glue dries.

These small pincher clamps from Micro Mark are wonderful for holding odd shaped parts in place until it dries.

.View attachment 28870
Neato clamps!! Im new can ya tell.. lol

This is interesting, and I have not encountered this before with any timber ship kit. The model came with decal/ transfers of the decorative fretwork for the exterior trims of the model. First photo is the transfers, and the second photo is the instruction booklet showing where they are to be applied.
IMG_0424.jpgIMG_0431.jpg

One issue that's disappointing, is theres a lot of small parts missing in the kit. And some items are not included at all.

For example, the kit comes with beautiful cast brass anchors, but no timber anchor stocks are supplied with the kit. I am currently making my own anchor stocks from scrap timber I had in my workshop.

IMG_0432.jpg

Back