H.M.S Granado. Plank on frame 1/48 scale. CAF model.

Ahoy Shipmates,

I have commenced assembly of the keel, stem and stern deadwood areas. The laser cut pieces are superb with a minimal amount of clean up required.
Everything slots together like a jigsaw puzzle.
I have used the graphite black powder mixed with white carpenters wood glue to highlight the joins in the timber. Still needs a final sandpaper to clean up a few edges and joins, but the Cherry timber looks nice.

.IMG_2691 copy.jpgIMG_2689 copy.jpg

Going together very nicely Bryian! - I trust you haven't yet glued the keelson in place, and it's just in the pictures to demonstrate what it will look like when finished. For any who don't know what I'm talking about, you need the wing transoms and ribs in first.
I've started my Granado, but still constructing stem and stern, so will follow yours with great interest.

Ted

Going together very nicely Bryian! - I trust you haven't yet glued the keelson in place, and it's just in the pictures to demonstrate what it will look like when finished. For any who don't know what I'm talking about, you need the wing transoms and ribs in first.
I've started my Granado, but still constructing stem and stern, so will follow yours with great interest.

Ted

Hi Ted,

thank you for your comment, and I went back to check the instructions. Perhaps you are correct about the keelson and its easy to remove the glue.

I am building the model as a split hull version, so these are the separation points for the stem and stern pieces. Still need some cleaning up with sandpaper.

.IMG_0118 copy.jpgIMG_0117 copy.jpg

Bryian, do you think it would be possible to build the split hull version but instead of displaying it split and on risers, could it be assembled together and “pulled apart” when you want to show the interior? Wonder if it would align without having to use 4 hands to put it back together?
I just looked at the NMM model on CAF’s website and it doesn’t have the interlocking framing - it looks more like it was cut in half? Also shows the port side fully planked, do you know if the model will have the planking included?

Last edited:
Hi Stargazer,
yes indeed the model is designed for the top and bottom split sections to lock together. I only have the fist stage of the kit but would assume planking would be provided in the 3rd stage to allow the modeller the option of planking one side.

Hmmm, I really like the Granado, but I have been looking at the prototype and I am wondering how the upper section of all the framing is going to be faired inside and out, seems like those upper frame pieces are just floating in the jig and ups the difficulty of an already difficult POF build ? I am contemplating not building it as a split model and just leaving some upper deck framing and planking open to see the detail below decks…. That is an option right?

Hi Lou,
the instructions show the upper and lower frames are temporarily pinned together with thin brass rod. It allows for faring the frames and the brass can be pulled out with pliers at a later date.
Hope you follow what I am saying. ;)

And to answer your other question...
you have a choice of gluing all the frame assembly or having the split frames. The instructions show you both versions of building it.
Well that is good to know and also pinning with the brass seems like a viable solution, I would think the frame joints are going to need the utmost care and precision to accomplish the building and fairing and stay nice and tight, then still have to look great when the model is split. But I like the engineering…..

Back