H.M.S Granado. Plank on frame 1/48 scale. CAF model.

Nice work Bryian,
Your post has just sent me into my workshop to see whether I had got the side frames back to front, but all is well.
My jig and keel are done, but I've only managed half a dozen frames so far - workshop time is currently tight! - but they are fully fitted to keel and jig and rough sanded inside and out. I'm finding there is a lot of fitting required for each frame - you'll need more than a 'few hours' !

Ted

Ted, I can't find your log. Do you have one ?

Daniel

Brian , can you show, from the manual, or on the already made frames, how the frames are assembled that allows you to separate the hull in 2 parts.

Thanks
Daniel

Hello Daniel,
I have decided to not split the frames as its too fiddly a job for me. I will figure out what I am doing further down the track, perhaps an open deck or cutting the frames with a Dremel cutting disc.

Ok... but the plans and the assembling manuals explain how to do it in an understandable way ?

Yes, I know, I can wait until I have my kit here and I will see it by myself.

Well, because I am like that, a disaster :). And because you are a great person and i know you will not be bothered with my question.

Now you scare me. An expert like you consider it difficult.... why ?

Cheers !!!
Daniel

Ok... but the plans and the assembling manuals explain how to do it in an understandable way ?

Yes, I know, I can wait until I have my kit here and I will see it by myself.

Well, because I am like that, a disaster :). And because you are a great person and i know you will not be bothered with my question.

Now you scare me. An expert like you consider it difficult.... why ?

Cheers !!!
Daniel
Hallo Daniel,
Take a look at the @CAFmodel webpage, where you can find some pages of the manual describing parts of this work you are asking for

Unbenannt.JPG

Daniel, I can’t speak for Brian but I had my doubts when I looked at the plans and blog when Brian first posted about this kit (post #52-55) I think the engineering involved is sound in concept but perhaps not in the execution? By just pinning the the (split frame) joint areas with brass treenails I think the frames will not stand up to the amount of char removal, fairing and sanding that is required to produce a great model. Perhaps if you could find a way to glue them temporarily and then remove the glue but I don’t think that’s happening when you have all the frames together. Then again maybe if you build the framework and then cut it in half and finish the decks, interior and armament etc, but again, very painstaking and difficult. I bought the model, haven’t started it yet and waiting on the second session to be delivered right now, but have already decided to build it as a complete admiralty model, like Brian I think trying to split it will just be too difficult to produce the level of quality I like to have in my models.

Hi Lou,
you have certainly hit the nail on the head with those comments. Its fairing the upper frames thats the concern with the split hull.
I can at a later date soak off the upper glued frames with Isopropyl alcohol if I wish to remove those pieces.

I am thinking its better to build the full frames, then carefully run some tape along the outer frames at the separation point and cut with a Dremel cutting disc.

Daniel, I can’t speak for Brian but I had my doubts when I looked at the plans and blog when Brian first posted about this kit (post #52-55) I think the engineering involved is sound in concept but perhaps not in the execution? By just pinning the the (split frame) joint areas with brass treenails I think the frames will not stand up to the amount of char removal, fairing and sanding that is required to produce a great model. Perhaps if you could find a way to glue them temporarily and then remove the glue but I don’t think that’s happening when you have all the frames together. Then again maybe if you build the framework and then cut it in half and finish the decks, interior and armament etc, but again, very painstaking and difficult. I bought the model, haven’t started it yet and waiting on the second session to be delivered right now, but have already decided to build it as a complete admiralty model, like Brian I think trying to split it will just be too difficult to produce the level of quality I like to have in my models.

Thank you Lou and Bryian !!

I will take a look to those points when the kit arrives. It was already shipped.

I will follow these Blogs with real attention.

The idea of cutting the kit with a Dremel sound like I will do a disaster. It will be very difficult for me to keep a straight line.

I have my feelings that if the kit was designed to be split it can be done..... I hope :)

Cheers
Daniel

Hello Daniel,
I have decided to not split the frames as its too fiddly a job for me. I will figure out what I am doing further down the track, perhaps an open deck or cutting the frames with a Dremel cutting disc.
Hi Brian,
Sorry to hear you're not going for the split frames. From everything I've read of the Granado now, that's a very interesting one. But I can understand your choice. Working on the front line with not much to compare.
In the meantime, it's really starting to itch for me to take on the challenge. But for now I'll be happy with my current build for a while.
In any case, I will continue to follow your log. Because I would like to see what other solutions you can come up with for this interesting construction: soaking glue, cutting disk ...
Regards, Peter

Hi Lou,
you have certainly hit the nail on the head with those comments. Its fairing the upper frames thats the concern with the split hull.
I can at a later date soak off the upper glued frames with Isopropyl alcohol if I wish to remove those pieces.

I am thinking its better to build the full frames, then carefully run some tape along the outer frames at the separation point and cut with a Dremel cutting disc.
The separation of the upper and lower parts of the frames looks to me to be fraught with danger, particularly as the components of the frames in many cases overlap, it would be impossible to separate fully glued frames with a Dremel as has been suggested.
I looked long and hard at the method of separation, and eventually decided that I didn't like the method used in the kit - I didn't like the look of it aesthetically with all the 'teeth' hanging down and up and will build the kit in the same way as the original model in the Greenwich Maritime Museum; that is build as a normal hull, and then split the hull straight along the underside of the main wale, so I have a smooth joint.
Interesting to see one or two people have decided to do away with the split hull.

Ted

Hi gang,
very happy to receive my Granado number 2 box today. It was slow travelling through Australian customs but very pleased it arrived.

Heres the box cover and a few quick snaps of the box contents. I am loving the precision CNC and laser cut Cherry wood pieces.

.IMG_2695 copy.jpgIMG_2697 copy.jpgIMG_2698 copy.jpgIMG_2699 copy.jpg

Hi Lou,

Also from me, congratulations on your promotion to Forum Moderator. Well deserved!

Back