H.M.S Granado. Plank on frame 1/48 scale. CAF model.

Hi gang,

I have jumped back into my Granado build with much vigour. Not really much to see in regards to photos, but assembling the frames one at a time.

I am finding this a very enjoyable experience. Its a bit like assembling a jigsaw puzzle.
The frame sections need to be identified and cross referenced from the instruction manual and numbered on the timber. Everything is clearly itemised for ease of assembly. The instructions are in English and very comprehensive.

Anyway this is my assembly workbench.

.View attachment 261058View attachment 261059
A POF model like this is a learning experience for me and I will watch this like a keen student.

Brian, would you recommend this kit as someones first pof model. I have several pob builds under my belt and im currently coming to the end of my 1:48 Winchelsea and I want to delve into pof models.

Dave

Unfortunately you show us very rarely some progress photos of your work, the last one are now already 2 months old.
So maybe it is time for some new update of your model? Please !?!
Its summer overthere Brian is enjoying his fishing and most probably the bbq.

It could be the chores in the garden, the tug of fish on the line, or the liquid in the tankard that is keeping him from posting.

In the middle of our summer, I like working inside in the shop as it get near 100 F, and humidity in high 90 percent.

You can break a sweat just walking out to the car to go somewhere.

Good start on what looks like an excellent kit Bryian.

I have to agree with you, from what I can see of the kits chosen method for the horizontal split, that is not the route I would take.
If it were me I would build the frame, fit as much of the internal boarding to the inside of the hull below the cut line and also add the deck clamps (which should fall above the lower wale) and then cut the hull with a brand new fine kerf razor saw (in an empty house with mobile phone turned offROTFROTF)

It was discussed on the forum a few years back, there is a fully framed model of Fleuron where the top raises by means of two rams, if you really are a gluton for punishment

Regards

Nigel

Ok, so I saw the instructions at CAF and just what I thought they did and I do not really see that much of a problem now. They are inserting the PIN(s) from the side of the frame(s) instead of point up and down which would have been totally difficult to get an alignment. You can see that they are in fact inserting the pins from the sides of the frames and NOT glued in - I assume that you already know this. However, I assume that to keep from having the "Joint teeth" showing after separation, that the joints would need to be sanded down all flat. WIth that technique the model pretty much would need to be confined to being displayed as a split all the time.

1641362527120.png

1641362865265.png

Ok, so I saw the instructions at CAF and just what I thought they did and I do not really see that much of a problem now. They are inserting the PIN(s) from the side of the frame(s) instead of point up and down which would have been totally difficult to get an alignment. You can see that they are in fact inserting the pins from the sides of the frames and NOT glued in - I assume that you already know this. However, I assume that to keep from having the "Joint teeth" showing after separation, that the joints would need to be sanded down all flat. WIth that technique the model pretty much would need to be confined to being displayed as a split all the time.

View attachment 280664

View attachment 280665

Donnie, you are 100% correct on your observation concerning the pin. Andy, used rail model screws for that task. They did a great job keeping the frame in place.

About the "frame joint teeth " I haven't though about that. My personal decision, would be to leave it. I was thinking to build "4 columns" that I can or can't use to have the model split or not. It is just an idea. Most probably it will be always split, but would like to show how it looks when is all together. So they need to be removable and the joint teeth will need to be there. For now "only thoughts".

Cheers
Daniel

I would leave the teeth as well because either Wales for top section will cover them enough and the planking on the bottom section would cover them up as well.
Sorry Brian, I hope I am not hijacking your thread.

Back