PROTOTYPE - H.M.S. Ontario Cross Section 2.0 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hey Mike!

I hope you don't mind me responding to your PM in this thread. I'm not trying to hijack it!

I put the Ontario on hold because I ran into a problem with the most forward frames "R" and "S". They are too wide to fit between the notches on the jig, so I can't seat them on the keel. I'm not sure if they are the only two frames that have that problem. I think you said you changed the drawings, but I'm not sure if you ever sent them to me. I'd love to take a look, and do a mockup in thin plywood to make sure the frames fit. Anyway, here are a few shots of where Ontario sits today. None of the frames are sanded. They are just sitting in the jig, resting on the keel.View attachment 285368View attachment 285369View attachment 285370View attachment 285371
Hallo Dave,
would be great, if you start also a building log - it is everytime a pleasure to watch your work

I found the source of the problem with the 1:32 prototype Dave is building. I used a gantry type jig and Dave is using a ‘sawtooth jig’, with the gantry there isn’t any slots for the frames to fit into. I still need to check the frames against the original body plan and the jig Dave is using and make the required changes to the drawings. Sorry Dave!

I added the main topsail bits, main rail and rope handrail around the upper deck opening. There are a few more deck items to finish before starting the display stand.
IMG_3705.jpgIMG_3706.jpgIMG_3707.jpgIMG_3708.jpgIMG_3709.jpgIMG_3710.jpgIMG_3711.jpgIMG_3712.jpgIMG_3713.jpgIMG_3714.jpgIMG_3715.jpgIMG_3716.jpgIMG_3717.jpg

The display stand is down to the finishing up part, will be completed tomorrow.
I did not do a step-by-step description of the assembly the photos cover it well. I hope it will support the model.

IMG_3724.jpgIMG_3725.jpgIMG_3726.jpgIMG_3727.jpgIMG_3728.jpg

Thanks Jim, the color scheme did work out well, I almost got by without using paint. I used a little grey paint for the lining in the elm tree pumps.
I will be starting a new project next week, don’t want my tools getting rusty lol.

Thanks Jim, the color scheme did work out well, I almost got by without using paint. I used a little grey paint for the lining in the elm tree pumps.
I will be starting a new project next week, don’t want my tools getting rusty lol.
I do like the color scheme that works for my taste, for sure! What will be your next project, if not a secret?

Thanks Jim, my next project is a secret lol. The fully framed model of the Mathew will be built navel board style with masts and standing rigging. I found some drawings I did 3/20/19, they are not complete but enough to start with. I will start a build log when I get the keel made, lots of little pieces in that thing.

Congratulations also from my side - very well build model
I am looking forward to see your Mathew ..... one more pleassure building log to follow

Congratulations Mike - that is A L O T of work and I am sure you are both proud of it and also being able to finish it. I am sure that many will be in line to get the drawings.

Hi Donnie, I am checking all the drawings to avoid most of the problems we had with the Blandford.

This project is a good follow up from the Blandford with an expanded framing and other enhancements. It will be interesting to see the difference variations of the build by the group members.

Back