H.M.S. PEGASUS - Swan Class by David Antscherl & Greg Herbert Scale 1:36

Great results on your guns G. A few questions if you don't mind. I see you're using Mold Max 60. Did you degas it or use it straight after mixing? Also, can you tell me which low temp metal you used? Was is a Bismuth/Tin mix. Did your barrels come out of the mold that smooth or did you treat polish them?

Thanks very much for sharing your methods and skills with us all.

I used this product for the mould which I used immediately after mixing:

for the metal, I used old printing fonts that a printer friend gave me as a gift because they were worn out; they are an alloy of lead, tin and antimony.
the gans came out as in picture, I have not yet treated or cleaned them: next step!
Thankk you for your appreciation!

Very good work on the gun muzzles
May I ask, how many pieces you can cast until such a silicon-form is getting damaged or the quality of the cast is getting worse?

Very good work on the gun muzzles
May I ask, how many pieces you can cast until such a silicon-form is getting damaged or the quality of the cast is getting worse?
Theoretically, this type of mould withstands the time it takes for the molten metal to solidify and should not become unusably damaged. So far, from a single mould I have cast over 30 guns without any problems and I could make more....

Hi Ricci!

The lead alloy consists of 67% lead (low melting point), 28% tin (for clean contours) and 5% antimony (for alloy hardness). I learned the profession of typesetter many decades ago, so I know this. In hand typesetting, many kilograms of these letters were processed and for the furnaces of the typesetting machine, I melted tons of this alloy in bar form.
Always wash your hands thoroughly and breathe in the fumes as little as possible when casting. We had vapor extraction. Typesetters were sometimes careless with their health. But lead in the body never decomposes.
Casting on a small scale like you do does not cause any harm. ;)

PC150470.JPG
A memory from my profession with metal letters and wood/rubber letters.

Best regards
Thomas

Back