Hannah by DocBlake. 1:32 Scale - Scratch Built, Plank-on-Frame, Admiralty Style

Thanks, guys!

Getting ready to make a little more sawdust. Templates for various parts rubber cemented to their boxwood blanks. Shown are the rudder, wing transom, 2 part rising wood, 4 part keelson, stem and stern deadwood and the sternpost. I'm trying to align edges where straightness is critical to the straight edge of the blanks.

keelpieces.jpg

Thanks guys!

Stuglo: Do you have a build log? If so, re-posting would be very cool! I might have a few questions, also.

I'm already facing some problems associated with up scaling plans. These plans were originally drawn in 1:48 scale, and we enlarged them to 1:32. The result was some thickening of the part outlines, and the problem will be "tolerance creep" unless I'm very careful. I've already had to remake the stern post! Oh well, these are the challenges of scratch building.

Thanks guys!

Stuglo: Do you have a build log? If so, re-posting would be very cool! I might have a few questions, also.

I'm already facing some problems associated with up scaling plans. These plans were originally drawn in 1:48 scale, and we enlarged them to 1:32. The result was some thickening of the part outlines, and the problem will be "tolerance creep" unless I'm very careful. I've already had to remake the stern post! Oh well, these are the challenges of scratch building.
Sorry, no. Pretty much followed the Hunt Practicum and the H.Hahn "Colonial Schooner" ( plus several dozen other books). My finished product pales compared to others and my process is rather embarrassing. More luck than judgement. Given the limitations of memory, I would be very happy to add my "tuppenceworth"/ PS why 1:32 not 1:36 (if it makes any practical difference)?

We'll probably be talking! Can you post some photos of the finished model??

A lot of modelers get confused about scale. Here's something I posted a few years back:

I'm not sure where to post this but I wanted to clear up a misconception I've seen in several posts concerning ship's scale. I've seen this post:
"If plans are 1/48 scale (1/4"), enlarge by 200% to get 1/24 scale (1/2") . Enlarge by 150% to get 1/36 scale (3/8")."
While this seems logical, it is actually mathematically incorrect! 3/8" = 1' is actually 1/32 scale, not 1/36!
There is a formula to calculate scale:

Equation: X x Y = 12
scale = 1 / X, where Y = fraction of an inch equal to one foot.

Example: If 3/8" = 1', then Y = 3/8
3/8 X = 12
X = 32, Scale = 1/32

This works for integers too. 3" = 1' is 1/4 scale.

2" = 1' is 1/6 scale.

What can I say...I'm a nerd!

We'll probably be talking! Can you post some photos of the finished model??

A lot of modelers get confused about scale. Here's something I posted a few years back:

I'm not sure where to post this but I wanted to clear up a misconception I've seen in several posts concerning ship's scale. I've seen this post:
"If plans are 1/48 scale (1/4"), enlarge by 200% to get 1/24 scale (1/2") . Enlarge by 150% to get 1/36 scale (3/8")."
While this seems logical, it is actually mathematically incorrect! 3/8" = 1' is actually 1/32 scale, not 1/36!
There is a formula to calculate scale:

Equation: X x Y = 12
scale = 1 / X, where Y = fraction of an inch equal to one foot.

Example: If 3/8" = 1', then Y = 3/8
3/8 X = 12
X = 32, Scale = 1/32

This works for integers too. 3" = 1' is 1/4 scale.

2" = 1' is 1/6 scale.

What can I say...I'm a nerd!
It would be time to switch to the metric system on the other side of the pond, makes scale a lot easier :)

As a physician, I used the metric system extensively in clinical practice (never mind that everyone’s weight was recorded in pounds!). Getting the US to switch is probably doomed to fail. Since commerce is based on which system is employed, there is no benefit to switch to the metric system before the nation does.

Decimals or fractions of inches !!! Us (ex) brits changed years ago. In medicine, at least 40 years ago, but I still visualize body size in feet&inches and stones. But mm/cms are easier. Luckily my measuring tools have brains and do the math!

Hello Stuglo, Great job on you little ship the Hannah. Just love all of the details and workmanship she sure looks great, well done. I do how ever believe that you varnish is a bit to heavy, I like to use Acrylic paints as much as possible. Just my 2 cents worth, not complaining that's for sure.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Stuglo, Great job on you little ship the Hannah. Just love all of the details and workmanship she sure looks great, well done. I do how ever believe that you varnish is a bit to heavy, I like to use Acrylic paints as much as possible. Just my 2 cents worth, not complaining that's for sure.
Regards Lawrence
Yes your quite correct. Suggestion of Bob Hunt. Probably my fault as I found difficulty with wiping on wipe-on poly. Applied by brush, even diluted, is too much. Prefer teak oil or similar as it brings out the colour,grain, and emphasis difference between woods such that on decking, for example, the caulking is highlighted without resorting to black paper or lead pencil.

Pretty model of Hannah, Stuglo, totally without carvings, convenient for those who are not so good at it, like me for example.
Thank you for showing.
Dave, nice to see what your model will look like, but just a lot bigger, exciting.
Regards-

Wipe on poly is just diluted polyurethane. Use a light touch, and remove excess with a brush to eliminate sags and runs..

One thing I don’like about the Hahn conception of “Hannah” is the BORING transom! A few lights back there would really dress up that part of the ship. Do we know, for sure, there were none?

Hi Dave, I remember you posting that equation and I wish you would make it an annual practice as I keep forgetting it! :p
I thought to mention that once you have the scales and if you wish to change from one scale to another it may be good to also show how that is done.

The equation for this would be: the scale you have/ the scale you want = percent to be changed so in Your example the scale is 1/48 and you want 1/36 then it would be

48 divided by 36 = 1.33(x 100=%) or 133%, you would then need to increase your drawings by this factor, and to go smaller you would just change them around
36 divided by 48 = .75(x 100=%) or 75%

Sorry for intruding

Last edited:
Wipe on poly is just diluted polyurethane. Use a light touch, and remove excess with a brush to eliminate sags and runs..

One thing I don’like about the Hahn conception of “Hannah” is the BORING transom! A few lights back there would really dress up that part of the ship. Do we know, for sure, there were none?
In my defense (excuse)this was a learning exercise using a practicum. Never used lights ? really appropriate for this type of minimalist model, but Victory bow is up next and this will lend itself to illumination- so I'll certainly begin to study (check out blogs on this site). ALL comments are appreciated .

Back