Hannah by DocBlake. 1:32 Scale - Scratch Built, Plank-on-Frame, Admiralty Style

I finished the building jig. The last photo shows the keel blank with the scarf cut into the forward end held in place by the wooden "clamps". Once the keel is placed in the jig, I'll hold it down to the base by drilling some holes on either side of the keel at a couple of locations and fixing it in place with a couple of nylon cable ties.

jig7.jpgjig8.jpgjig9.jpg

I finished the building jig. The last photo shows the keel blank with the scarf cut into the forward end held in place by the wooden "clamps". Once the keel is placed in the jig, I'll hold it down to the base by drilling some holes on either side of the keel at a couple of locations and fixing it in place with a couple of nylon cable ties.

View attachment 141345View attachment 141346View attachment 141347
Hello Dave, Great job you are doing on your build jig, this is very impressive and also very interesting,
Regards Lawrence

Hello Dave, Just checked out a set of those Perma-Grit files at Micro-Mark, they are 23.95 USD with free shipping. However with duty and the exchange rate it would cost me 55.71 Canadian to have a set shipped her, some rip off our Canadian Gov., This is a nice set but this cost is not at all that good. Thanks for your information.
Regards Lawrence

That's too bad, Lawrence. They are great files.

I began work on assembling the keel. The most important part is getting the stem glued to the keel, and setting the sternpost and the deadwood. I fiddled with the sternpost angle for about an hour before I was satisfied. The first photo shows the relationship between the keel blank, the stern post and the stern deadwood.

Before I do any gluing, I need to decide what to do with the deadwood. Bothe Bob Hunt's plans and Hahn's plans call for this to be one single piece. Given the size and shape I'm sure in real life it was made up of component parts. Any thoughts on a design? I enclosed a photo of the part outline as well as what the deadwood looks like with the stern half frames in place.

image0.jpgImage1.jpgImage2.jpg

Could you use the last image in this link: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-ship-built-from-plans.4602/page-2#post-94579
as inspiration.
Keeping the size of the ship and the scale of the timbers in mind, you may be able to work it out: at least you can get an idea of a possible logical layout of the parts: a knee in the corner + vertical extension + somewhat horizontally built up deadwood (with a couple timbers, everything tied with scarf-joints like connections.
Probably not historically correct for your ship but feasible if you want to built this area with several timbers.
G

Dave, I'm thinking of doing deadwood on my Rattlesnake as Gilles points out, at least somewhat roughly the same.
It's nice that you mention it, the Hahn plans show nothing about this.

I taped a copy of the plans to a piece of melamine shelving, then put down some double sided tape. After blackening the edges of the scarf joint, I taped the stem to the plans. I put some glue in the scarf, the glued the stem to the scarf, holding it with an office clip and weighing the keel assembly down with weights. Next is the sternpost and the fore and aft deadwood. SCARFKEEL.jpg

Back