Hannah by DocBlake. 1:32 Scale - Scratch Built, Plank-on-Frame, Admiralty Style

Hi Dave,

really nice start. If you built a piece like the after deadwood, you have to look that the grainage of timber goes in the right direction. You cut it by on piece and did the rest with a mill, with the grainage 90° in the wrong direction. I suggest to build it in the correct way. It's not a really complicated task and is a good practice for the later much more complicated pieces.

Thanks! I toyed with that Christian, but opted against it. After the frames are installed, not much of the deadwood shows at the stern. The bearding line is fairly far aft on this model. I would be a big job to remove the deadwood...I used TiteBond!

Thanks, everyone!

This model is based on Hahn's plans, but uses an upright jig, unlike Hahn's method. As drawn, the plans leave little extra length in the top timbers to ensure that they can be trimmed to the right height. After fitting the feet of the cant frames to the deadwood, the first three frames came out dangerously close to too short. I weighed my options and decided to remake frames #32, #33, and #34, leaving the top timbers 1/4" longer than the plans.

cant33.jpgcant34.jpg

Great progress Dave.Looking at the picture,are the cant frames low because there should be a gap between their base due to the angle the planks fall into the Rabbet?The hull form in this area is similar to my Saint Philippe and the frames end well short of the bottom edge of the Rabbet

Kind Regards

Nigel

first three frames came out dangerously close to too short.

Hi Dave!! I was noticing on your first picture that it looked like the forward frames were getting kinda short. It is looking good!! Question, since you are making good progress on those cant frames is it ok if I shelve making those edits for the "cant twist" on the drawings for now? My plate runs over!!! LOL.

Dave,

I would remove the paper templates before glueing the frames on the hull. Make a small pencil line to mark the line for fairing the hull.
I think, to remove the templates and clean the frames will later be much more difficult.

Your frameing is looking really nice. Such a second layer for the jig, I need for my Triton project.

maybe its late to ask this question, but why did you decide the "upright" rather than Hahn. I built oneida upright and hanna upside down and not sure which is better.

Back