Harriet Lane Model Shipways Solid hull build log by Peter Gutterman [COMPLETED BUILD]

@Jnewey, Thanks for the encouraging words. So colloquially British!:)
That looks like a pretty cool( colloquial American) sidewheeler on your ID picture. Do you have a full sized post of her on SOS ? If not would you post some? I'd like to see!

Thanks, Pete

Actually it's a Hobbys LADY paddle steamer which I bought the kit for on Ebay.
The kit was a pile of wood, so *had to carve and sand everything.
A fun job! Not my best work but it turned out OK.

It's also got R/C control for the motor controller and rudder. An extra I added.
It floats and sails too.

I've got a couple of pics for you.IMG_20230723_220743_0.jpgIMG_20230625_122922_4.jpgIMG_20230326_125133_9.jpg

Vic, Yes, actually, now that I think about it. All of the Baltimore Clippers on this forum, save the "Chasseur" A miniature schooner yacht "America" The hull of the "John. W. Cannon", the Model Shipways " Sultana" and the "Young America" Maybe some others. I like the sculpting aspect. If the model is small enough I can sight down the hull and shape it pretty accurately without using templates. (This in Eastern Shore boatyards is called the "Winchum Squinchum" method) I check the conformity of the shape side to side periodically with one of those shape transfer devises with all the little rods that slide up and down between two plate faces.(Contour Guage?) Again, you can only get away with this at the smaller scales. Another freehand boat building term I use as an excuse to duck a lot of work is "If it looks right, It probably is..." ( a variation, I believe, of Occam's Razor).

" Lazy bones,.. sittin' the sun,.. How ya gonna get yore days' work done?.. How ya gonna get it done?.. Sittin' in the noon day sun?... :cool:

Pete ( with apologies to Hoagy Charmichael)

Last edited:
(that was quick.) Not your best work!?
Too cool for school, dude!Thumbs-UpOkay:)
I love everything about her, plus your creative enginuity! I'd love to see her sailing (paddling).

Pete

Vic, Yes, actually, now that I think about it. All of the Baltimore Clippers on this forum, save the "Chasseur" A miniature schooner yacht "America" The hull of the "John. W. Cannon", the Model Shipways " Sultana" and the "Young America" Maybe some others. I like the sculpting aspect. If the model is small enough I can sight down the hull and shape it pretty accurately without using templates. (This in Eastern Shore boatyards is called the "Winchum Squinchum" method) I check the conformity of the shape side to side periodically with one of those shape transfer devises with all the little rods that slide up and down between two plate faces.(Contour Guage?) Again, you can only get away with this at the smaller scales. Another freehand boat building term I use as an excuse to duck a lot of work is "If it looks right, It probably is..." ( a variation, I believe, of Occam's Razor).

" Lazy bones,.. sittin' the sun,.. How ya gonna get yore days' work done?.. How ya gonna get it done?.. Sittin' in the noon day sun?... :cool:

Pete ( with apologies to Hoagy Charmichael)
I have to say, my patience was stretched carving the hull, and having to build everything up from scratch. The paddles were the worst. Just a sheet of plastic to work with!
I gave up on trying to cut out the paddle bits with my limited tools and skills, and managed to find someone who coul make the bits for me.

Cheating? I didn't care in the end!

I don't know how people like yourself manage the patience and skill.

I found one more pic or two of the build.

IMG_20230326_125126_0.jpgIMG_20230321_124740_8.jpgIMG_20230323_161747_1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't sell yourself short.
The models look great! (More than one in the picture.) I have patience for what I patience for. The paddle wheel parts that came with the Harriet Lane kit worked pretty well, but were frustratingly difficult to assemble. If you look closely, the actual paddle wheel diameters were too small. I used them anyway. I declared victory and moved on, figuring who'd notice in the end? For the framing for the cabin and other parts I had a friend re-design them in his CAD program put on a zip file, and cut out by the laser wizard at the Naval Academy. You can tell because if you look closely there is a tiny zig-zag pattern along the edges of the laser cut parts left by the slight oscillation of the laser beam itself. Proving once again there is no free lunch! Perfection is in the pervue of the gods. And if you read your "Bullfinches" ( AND the Bible) THEY f***ed up as often as not, falling far short of perfection! ( So, like Blanche Du Bois, I too "depayend upon the khandness of strainjuhs") A lot of the original parts I swapped out with after-market replacements. As for carving, It's a whole lot less like work if you like doing it. So,...In the end "whatever gets you through the night...";)

Pete

Last edited:
Dear Pete,

What a wonderful representation of the Harriet Lane! I have the POB kit and, inspired by your work, I'm planning to arm her as you have. If you have time, I have a question or two. How did you determine the height of the bulwarks for the fore deck? How did you determine the anchor stowage? I'm thinking that the bulwarks need to be low enough to allow the Parrot Gun to traverse and fire without gunports. As to the overall height, I'm thinking about 5 - 6 foot clearance below so that the sailors can work standing up at full height.

Thank you for your wonderful rendition of the Harriet Lane!

Blessings. Peace. Gratitude.
Chuck

Dear Pete,

What a wonderful representation of the Harriet Lane! I have the POB kit and, inspired by your work, I'm planning to arm her as you have. If you have time, I have a question or two. How did you determine the height of the bulwarks for the fore deck? How did you determine the anchor stowage? I'm thinking that the bulwarks need to be low enough to allow the Parrot Gun to traverse and fire without gunports. As to the overall height, I'm thinking about 5 - 6 foot clearance below so that the sailors can work standing up at full height.

Thank you for your wonderful rendition of the Harriet Lane!

Chuck
Thanks very much! You made my day!
As for your questions: mostly " winchum-squinchum (eyeball) and information online ("Dead Confederates") was very helpful in determining the look of the ship at this stage. I just searched everything "Harriet Lane". There were some old period photos and contemporary descriptions. Also, the theory "If it looks right ,it probably is." Nothing very scientific or mathematical, I'm afraid. I ordered an aftermarket kit for Dahlgren guns for a larger scale Kearsarge model and cut them down. I made the pivot tracks out of card stock and pivot carriages from scratch. Other pieces I got from a friend's stash: The metal gratings on top of the deck house, the boat howitzers 3D printed by another friend (members of the Washington Ship Model Society). The stanchions were brass from Blue Jacket Ship crafters. As for the anchors, it seemed logical' as close as I could make out, cobbling together various references or comparables. Sometimes you just have to go with "What would I do under those given circumstances??" Your ideas are probably just as good guesstimates as mine.
Good luck with the new POB Model Shipways iteration. I must have gotten one of the last solid hull- 3/32" scale models in stock before they changed over. I like the old, smaller scale, "pre-carved" hull kits. A modeling method of an earlier epoch. Very40s, 50s, and 60s. Like me.:rolleyes:
I'm afraid that you'll just have to scrounge around and do some head scratching, but hey, that's half the fun! ;)
I just left the gunports on the counter "closed" as there were no references to specific armament there. It made working on that fragile section a lot easier.
Your thinking on the bulwark height, etc. seems about right.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Feel free to contact me through the private mail option, if you have any more questions.

Pete
The Blessings, Peace (God willing) and Gratitude back atcha!

Excellent! Looks like I came across the same reference material as to armament. I completely agree with you about the look. There is a lot of art in making these lovely representations of historical ships. My sense of the counter s the same as yours! I'll comment more about that once I've got my log up.

Pete, I really appreciate the detailed response! That an affirmative on your invitation to visit through the private mail with additional questions about your build.

Chuck

Please post a build log.
She's one of my favorite models since I began taking her to shows. She's always one of the most, if not the most popular of my offerings, always sparking a lot of curiosity and conversation. She has a heroic and cinematically dramatic history!
(Responding in real time!:D)

Same to you! Pete

Back