Kit review Hayling (1760) - POF in scale 1:48 by Modelship Dockyard

Excellent review Jim, you did a great job, thanks.
I ordered the kit this evening Thumbsup .

I also ordered the Hayling Hoy book from Seawatch. Looks like a great combined project.
You will not regret it, Roger! Please let us know your personal experience, once you receive your kit. Oh...do you plan for a build log? That would be even better, though. ;)

Hey Jim, I will certainly give my personal experience of the kit once I receive it. I’m interested in seeing if the wood quality is the same as your excellent review. I need to get ahead on my Syren build first but you mentioned before about a group build? I’d be interested in that.

Hey Jim, I will certainly give my personal experience of the kit once I receive it. I’m interested in seeing if the wood quality is the same as your excellent review. I need to get ahead on my Syren build first but you mentioned before about a group build? I’d be interested in that.
Umm, the Group build, sounds like a great idea, Roger. It shouldn't be a problem in terms of creating one. But...we need members in this group, the ones who will build this kit and show it in the log. At least 7 ~ 10 active build logs and the group will be created in no time!
We don't know how many members will purchase this kit unless they told us. But I agree with you, it should be a very nice project for a group build. :)

Umm, the Group build, sounds like a great idea, Roger. It shouldn't be a problem in terms of creating one. But...we need members in this group, the ones who will build this kit and show it in the log. At least 7 ~ 10 active build logs and the group will be created in no time!
We don't know how many members will purchase this kit unless they told us. But I agree with you, it should be a very nice project for a group build. :)
Hi, I ordered mine as soon as I saw it had been released. Think I am the target builder, totally no idea. So, whatever a group build is, sounds like it could help. I was planning on doing a builds log on here any way, I will need the assistance.
Victor reckons delivery is within 10 days to the UK, so......... watching out for yet another delivery driver haring up our lane.

Colin

Nice, Dimi and Zoly! Would this be a good beginning pof build for folks like me who have only done pob?
The kit was designed with the introduction of POF models in mind, perhaps as the first POF model. If you have some POB models built under your belt and would like some challenges of the POF, this kit is for you. You will be dealing with the assembly of the frames, this is the most difficult and challenging task as accuracy and precision will require. But the reward is - a POF model, simple and elegant.

Hi, I ordered mine as soon as I saw it had been released. Think I am the target builder, totally no idea. So, whatever a group build is, sounds like it could help. I was planning on doing a builds log on here any way, I will need the assistance.
Victor reckons delivery is within 10 days to the UK, so......... watching out for yet another delivery driver haring up our lane.

Colin
Hi Colin, if we will have enough members building this model in active logs, we may create a Group Build. We should have at least 7-10 members. But if there is no Group build, this doesn't mean you are alone. We have members with advanced skills who can help you in case you need it. Also, @Modelship Dockyard (Victor) is here, and also offered his help in case someone needed it. Good luck, we would love to see your Hayling model progress in the build log. :cool:

I love the blocks. I wish I could have replaced ALL of the blocks on my SR with ones like these. Most of the sail rigging blocks were changed out.
Hi Vic, those blocks can be obtained using Zolly's store. He has a variety of sizes and materials: Pearwood and Boxwood. Also, he has other small fittings like cleats, nails, etc. But all of this is around the corner and will take less than a week from door to door. Have you checked it?

Hi Vic, those blocks can be obtained using Zolly's store. He has a variety of sizes and materials: Pearwood and Boxwood. Also, he has other small fittings like cleats, nails, etc. But all of this is around the corner and will take less than a week from door to door. Have you checked it?

I actually used his blocks on half my SR. I was very pleased with them. If I had had enough time and money, would have used them throughout.

You will not regret it, Roger! Please let us know your personal experience, once you receive your kit. Oh...do you plan for a build log? That would be even better, though. ;)
The Hayling kit I ordered from Modelship Dockyard @Modelship Dockyard arrived this afternoon and as requested by Jim @Jimsky I’ll write a few lines on my personal experience.

I ordered the kit on August 16th, the order was despatched to me from Chongqing, China on the 19th August and was received by me on the East Coast of Canada today, 23rd August. Shipping was included in the price quoted $298 US and was sent by FedEx. This is very impressive indeed.

The plain cardboard box was very well protected with two layers of plastic sheeting and an outer clear plastic covering overall.

I do not intend repeating what Jim said in his excellent review but a few points are worthy of mention. All the parts are very well packaged and well secured in the box. I have not opened all the clear sealed wood packages yet, but the pear wood looks to be excellent as do all the other parts including the box of fittings. The single photoetch parts sheet is flat, was well protected and without damage. The MDF is flat and without warpage. At first look I would say my kit is the same quality as that reviewed by Jim. The kit also includes a number of sheets of frames patterns and a thumb drive.

I took a few “kit arrival“ and opening photos, which I’ll add below. When I check everything I’ll note any discrepancies but first impressions are really good. Now I have seen the kit first hand it appears to be excellent value for the price with shipping included and fast, efficient courier delivery.

97310980-2B05-4202-BEF2-B644075B8948.jpeg

2F5C419F-3AF3-4DD5-8225-CBB36C068F2E.jpeg

2A530DAE-9AE2-49C2-A167-FB68E2CC823F.jpeg

36C841E0-9245-4C14-B95E-8690FE7C9C19.jpeg

11B72A12-15A7-4EAC-9E4C-CDBE65D26922.jpeg

Back