Hayling Hoy of 1759

First cant frames have been erected. It took couple of attempts. Frames themselves are easy to build, but in order to fit them properly against wing transom, mortises need to be cut into top timbers, which turned out to be problematic. Vast amount of wood will need to be removed when fairing - Grober rifflers are on the way. Many, many thanks for your interest.

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

Looking good! Lots to remove for sure, is the plan to tape the keel when fairing the base of those cants? Will tape be enough?

Slow progress. Four aft cant frames have been erected, Grobet rifflers have arrived. Now it's time to install temporary spacers between frames and start preliminary fairing. Sooo much wood to remove. Ouch! I suppose David Antscherl intentionally did not provide bevel lines in order to resist temptation to fair frames before installing. We'll see how it unfolds. Many thanks for all your likes and comments. Happy modelling.

IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG

Wow Gennaro - I do not think your progress is slow at all. With a scratch build it is not as if you simply pull the semi-assembled frames from a box, slap them together and mount them to the keel. And talking about frames - your carpentry skills on those frames are top notch - the joints are seamless! Okay

Very fine and accurate workmanship - looking very good.
Maybe you mentioned it already, but which wood are you using? Is it pear?

Very nice indeed, that does seem like a lot of "meat" on the bones to grind off and fair, but better to do it now while you have plenty of access. Keep up the awesome work.

Uwe, It's Castello Boxwood from Sergey.
Many Thanks for the information and also that you directly mentioned the source
-> Sergey alias @bibigon is really a very good source for high quality timber
and I love this Castello Boxwood very much - it is maybe really an alternative to pear wood - many thanks for the hint

Managed to do some preliminary fairing on the starboard. It took 5-6 hours. Particularly problematic is the aftmost cant frame. I was pleasantly surprised how rigid the whole structure is. Hopefully this will work on port side as well. Many thanks for all the likes and comments.

IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG

Back