Hayling Hoy of 1759

All cant frames have been installed as well as the first square frame. LOT of wood had to be removed, small amount left for final fairing (pencil marks are still visible). I was pleasantly surprised that square frame is true and centered. Now the more difficult job is ahead - first fore cant frame and hose pieces. Initially I was sceptical about Antscherl's right up method of construction, but after this experience, I wouldn't bother with complex jigs - two machinist squares is all you need. Another amazing thing to me is how sturdy the whole structure is - not a single frame popped out while fairing. Anyway, here are few pics of the current status of the model. Many thanks for all your kind comments and likes. Very much appreciated. Happy modelling!

IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG

Each time you post something I am just amazed at the accuracy and cleanliness of your work. I zoomed in on your keel notches (just as an example) and they are not good, nor very good - they are PERFECT. It obviously goes without saying that goes for the rest of the construction as well!

Thank you friends for your kind words and likes. It means a lot.
@Steef66 No jigs using Antscherl's method - two machinist squares to position frames - one ensures that frame is vertical, the other one is basically a tangent on the frame to ensure that the point is on or slightly out of the breath line on the building board. Here is the picture where first fore cant frame is being setup (dry fit):

IMG_0492.JPG

Thanks @Gennaro .
In which book by David Antscherl he describes this method
Method is described in The Fully Framed Model HMN Swan Class Sloops 1767-1780 Volume 1. There are couple of pictures of setting up transom and cant frame in Hayling Hoy. In the previous post I mentioned "breath" line - should be "breadth" line. My apologies.

Productive Saturday in the shipyard. Fore cant frames have been installed. It involved some juggling, spot gluing ... Unlike aft cant frames being notched into transom, fore ones are (almost) levitating in the air. Hopefully I got it right. Hose pieces next. Thanks for stopping buy.

IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG

After almost a month of work and 6ft of boxwood I managed to install bollard timbers and hawse pieces. Considered changing my name to Sisyphus. Far from ideal, but it will do. Thanks for stopping by. Merry Christmas and all the best in New year!

IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG

Breathtakingly beautiful Gennaro. If that is not as close to perfect as "dammit" is to a swear word, then I do not know what "perfect" is! A very blessed Christmas and healthy 2022 to you and your loved ones.

Back