Hayling Hoy of 1759

I just discovered this build, being an infrequent visitor to this site. Your work is beautiful, crisp and clean. I am especially interested in following your work as I am also building the Hayling Hoy but am slightly ahead of you (not in quality I assure you). I am hoping you pass me so I can learn from you. :)

I just discovered this build, being an infrequent visitor to this site. Your work is beautiful, crisp and clean. I am especially interested in following your work as I am also building the Hayling Hoy but am slightly ahead of you (not in quality I assure you). I am hoping you pass me so I can learn from you. :)
Thank you for your kind words. I'd love to see your work. I'm sure I would learn a lot. Build log, possibly?

It's been a month since the last update. Rough month. My wife fell and broke her hip, but she is slowly getting better. I managed to reach the milestone - framing is completed. I glad that it did not turn into sausage, but rather into something that resembles ship. Few more days of fairing and it will be the time to stabilize the whole structure, although it's quite sturdy already. I'm really not looking forward to installing deck clamps. It's going to be difficult to bend 3/32" boxwood into shape. What are your thoughts on this? I've seen at least one build where fore part of deck clamps were carved rather than bent (Oliver's La Belle). Another thing that bothers me is that plans lack complete lines of main deck and lower platforms - they show only the part where beams are installed. If somebody is familiar with the subject, I would more than appreciate your advice and guidance. Thanks so much for stopping by, all the likes and comments. Here are few latest pics. I took her out of the basement for inspection.

IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG

Best wishes for your wife, get well soon
Best wishes to your wife; may she have a speedy recovery. I’ll take a crack at your questions but as long as you appreciate this is my first full scratch build. On your question of the platform clamps, you need to accept that they must be spiled at the bow and stern. Perhaps that is what you meant by carved. As you are aware boxwood of that thickness doesn’t like to be edge bent although I did bend some of it in two planes as well as twisting. Very difficult. Also take your time locating the exact height of these at all locations. I had to de-glue and reinstall most of them. Part of my problem was finding adequate means of clamping them in place while they dried. On your observation that there are limited indications of where to measure the platform clamp locations: I simply concluded this is the punishment that first time scratch builders must endure. Get out your ship or French curves and pencil the lines in using the bottom of the platform beams as a guide but also noting that the beams at the side are let down by some amount (sorry I can’t remember how much and David discusses two scenarios of let down). I hope that helps. A picture of my marked up plan and another of where I am right now.

88C88BE8-0919-40DB-9DFB-6613FEBE68A4.jpeg

32860B12-3E7C-4104-AF0F-019880B4A431.jpeg

Best wishes to your wife; may she have a speedy recovery. I’ll take a crack at your questions but as long as you appreciate this is my first full scratch build. On your question of the platform clamps, you need to accept that they must be spiled at the bow and stern. Perhaps that is what you meant by carved. As you are aware boxwood of that thickness doesn’t like to be edge bent although I did bend some of it in two planes as well as twisting. Very difficult. Also take your time locating the exact height of these at all locations. I had to de-glue and reinstall most of them. Part of my problem was finding adequate means of clamping them in place while they dried. On your observation that there are limited indications of where to measure the platform clamp locations: I simply concluded this is the punishment that first time scratch builders must endure. Get out your ship or French curves and pencil the lines in using the bottom of the platform beams as a guide but also noting that the beams at the side are let down by some amount (sorry I can’t remember how much and David discusses two scenarios of let down). I hope that helps. A picture of my marked up plan and another of where I am right now.

View attachment 290662

View attachment 290663
This is absolutely stunning build! Looks sooo good. Thanks so much for your wishes regarding my wife and the explanation. "Carving" in my previous post refers to what our member Oliver did with La Belle's deck clamp - here is the post: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/la-belle-1-36-plan-by-jean-boudriot-myself.3009/page-11

Oh wow, that 3D carving is very sophisticated and well beyond my capabilities. But spiling achieves almost the same result I suppose And is easy to do. Thanks for the praise although I assure you it is not that good.

WoW. it is a real milestone completing all the framing! She looks gorgeous without deck clamps why bother... (just kidding). Costello (not real boxwood) can be bent using hot water and/or steam.

Best wishes to your wife's recovery...

Hi Gennaro!

Get well soon for your wife!

SANY1626.JPG
The height of the deck clamps is measured from the plan and marked on the outside of the frames. If they are not drawn in the plan, they need to be found as "ibmack" did. He has drawn the deck line into the plan himself. From the top edge of the deck, the height of the deck planks and deck beams (full or half height) must be reduced.

SANY1628.JPG
The horizontal dashed line is the upper edge of the deck clamp. Its position depends on whether the deck beams rest on the deck clamp or are recessed.

The only thing left to do is to measure and draw for the correct position of the deck clamps. Hopefully, the position of the deck beams is included in one of the drawings.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Your hull is a small piece of art - especially with this light ...... looking very good. Also the inner planking - you are on a good way
And I cross all the fingers for a fast recovery of your wife.......

My dear friends - thank you so much for your support - it means a lot, both regarding my wife and my question regarding deck clamps. No easy way seems to be.

@Dematosdg - when it came to plank bending issue you were the first one to cross my mind. Still wondering how you managed to bend planks on both - Pegasus and Bounty.

@ibmack Sorry to bother you, but here is another issue with plans. There are two platforms (circled) which obviously require clamps.

IMG_0534.JPG
On the other hand, the monograph shows continuous clamp:
IMG_0536.JPG

Am I interpreting this right? I guess joints (hook scarph?) are up to builder (3 segments?). Also, platform beams seem to lack curvature?

Thanks again everybody!

Back