Hello from a new member...

Ro

Hello,

I am pleased to have been accepted for membership.

I am interested in learning the craft of model ship building. I spent about 8 years as a conservator of metals for a large privately-owned museum before moving onto a career as a freelance writer and, eventually, a brief stint of five years as an editor with Reuters.

I still collect and conserve early colonial-era Spanish artifacts from the settlement sites in Florida, and I have a keen interest in the Spanish settlement of the Americas.

I am new to modelling, so I am completely starting from scratch with this hobby.

To this point, I have purchased a few how-to books on model ship building and most of the basic tools. I still need a plank bender and some type of miter/angle saw.

I have also purchased two apprentice (beginner level I and II) kits from Midwest Products: The Dinghy, and the Grand Banks Dory, both of which are billed as teaching the basic skills necessary for model ship building.

I do not have a workshop, per se, but I have set up a space in my office. This means that any cutting, shaving of wood parts, sanding, etc., will need to be done by hand (which I am fine with), as I do not have the space for power tools – and I do not want that mess!

My goals will be to complete the two kits referenced above in order to build my skill set and only then to progress to more difficult kits. I have in mind building the Pinta, Nina, and Santa Maria kits and then, as my ultimate goal, I would like to build a Spanish Galleon. I hope it is clear; I do understand that I must learn to crawl before I run. I am autistic, so I have boundless patience and focus.

I’m looking forward to interacting here and learning all about what seems a wonderful hobby.

RM

Welcome aboard Robert!! As your skills and enthusiasm grows, you will find that wooden ship modeling is a very messy hobby. You will no doubt at some point be making sawdust (either by hand or power) and will want a vacuum, brush, broom handy. While it is possible to do this hobby in an office, you will find most use a spare bedroom, garage, basement, etc to do the messy work. Another idea would be to try plastic ship model building. Somewhat different skills but also less messy in the beginning.

It is kinda cool that you joined SoS on Columbus Day!!! :)

Welcome aboard Robert!! You will no doubt at some point be making sawdust (either by hand or power) and will want a vacuum, brush, broom handy. While it is possible to do this hobby in an office, you will find most use a spare bedroom, garage, basement, etc to do the messy work. Another idea would be to try plastic ship model building. Somewhat different skills but also less messy in the beginning.

Good morning,

I do not have a garage or basement in which to work. We are in a townhouse-style condo. Honestly, I’m lucky my Wife has given me the small office. :)

The mess had occurred to me. I don’t mind cleaning it up. I worry most about sawdust getting onto (and into) my computer. As a plan B, I have researched the best plastic galleon models. I have secured two, and I am in the process of getting the third.

Plan A is to build the two smaller beginner kits I mentioned in my original post. If I can control the mess - and I think I can if I stick to hand tools and take my time - then I will keep right on with the wood models. Everything I have read indicates that wood models of the subjects in which I am interested are far more detailed than their plastic counterparts. I will have the two galleons and the Santa Maria (in plastic) on deck should the wood models prove too messy.

I am really hoping it all works out.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

RM

Welcome to the forum Robert.I was not always blessed with a workshop.I remember planning my work so I could take messy jobs outside on a fine day and doing jobs like sanding the hull on a collapsible workbench,I even took a build to work one weekend and sanded in the workshop there!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Welcome to the forum Robert.I was not always blessed with a workshop.I remember planning my work so I could take messy jobs outside on a fine day and doing jobs like sanding the hull on a collapsible workbench,I even took a build to work one weekend and sanded in the workshop there!

Hello, Nigel...

I may have to do this for certain things. Last summer, I found and restored an old walking stick. I did all the sanding out on the deck on a sunny day; the rest I was able to do inside.

This is certainly going to be a learning experience. I‘ve only ever read about model building - for many years. This will be my first hands-on attempt.

RM

Welcome! Something to consider for a novice builder is one of a Bob Hunt’s College of Model Shipbuilding practicums. The “Swift” is an inexpensive kit, and the practicum will let you build it without difficulty. It would be a great introductory project Others here will attest to the value of Bob’s practicums. Here’s a link: https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/home

Robert,
you mentioned that you had two kits on order. Have they arrived? Both of these should get you off to a good start. The main point is to not get frustrated. You will see that you will have an abundance of help. What will help us to help you is Pictures. So, I hope that you have either a smart phone or camera to take pictures to assist us in answering your questions.

One thing you will discover is a whole new terminology (nautical terms). Don't worry about over loading yourself on this. As time goes by, you will pick up the terminology. You can start out with the most basics such as Bow, Stern, fore, aft, Port side, Starboard side.

Lastly, practice making image attachments at the "Test your Post here" at near the bottom of the Board (Forum). I made some videos on how to post images plus other video tutorials here: (If you watch the videos, then you will be well set in how to post).

Feel Free to send me a Private Message (click on the tiny envelope to the right of your name/avatar top right to start a new conversation.) if you need help with anything.

Donnie

Hi Robert,
My workshop is 1m x 500mm desk.
Yep I do the bigger sanding outside, but most is done by hand on the desk.
I keep a small wet dry vac under the desk to clean up.

You will be suprised by how much you can do with the minimum of tools especially from a kit point of view.
I bought lots of tools over time, but funilly go back to a handful for most of the work.

Welcome! Something to consider for a novice builder is one of a Bob Hunt’s College of Model Shipbuilding practicums. The “Swift” is an inexpensive kit, and the practicum will let you build it without difficulty. It would be a great introductory project Others here will attest to the value of Bob’s practicums. Here’s a link: https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/home

Good morning,

Thank you for this. I will certainly take a look at the site. I am eager to learn.

RM

Robert,
you mentioned that you had two kits on order. Have they arrived? Both of these should get you off to a good start. The main point is to not get frustrated. You will see that you will have an abundance of help. What will help us to help you is Pictures. So, I hope that you have either a smart phone or camera to take pictures to assist us in answering your questions.

One thing you will discover is a whole new terminology (nautical terms). Don't worry about over loading yourself on this. As time goes by, you will pick up the terminology. You can start out with the most basics such as Bow, Stern, fore, aft, Port side, Starboard side.

Lastly, practice making image attachments at the "Test your Post here" at near the bottom of the Board (Forum). I made some videos on how to post images plus other video tutorials here: (If you watch the videos, then you will be well set in how to post).

Feel Free to send me a Private Message (click on the tiny envelope to the right of your name/avatar top right to start a new conversation.) if you need help with anything.

Donnie

Good morning,

Thank you. I am actively looking around the site, and I have been reading a lot of threads. You are right; it is overwhelming, but it is satisfying to see all the beautiful models.

I believe one of the two kits is due to arrive today. I’m eager to get a look inside the box. One is a skill level 1 kit, the other a level 2. This morning, I purchased another of the Midwest kits (a level 2), the Seabright Dory Lifeboat. I believe it is a foot long once completed; it looks like a very nice kit.

I do plan start a build log, and I will appreciate the advice and guidance of those willing to share. It’s exciting to have finally taken the leap into modeling after having only read about it for so many years. As you noted, I know only rudimentary terminology, and I’m looking forward to learning this also.

Thanks again for the help, encouragement, and future guidance.

RM

Hi Robert,
My workshop is 1m x 500mm desk.
Yep I do the bigger sanding outside, but most is done by hand on the desk.
I keep a small wet dry vac under the desk to clean up.

You will be suprised by how much you can do with the minimum of tools especially from a kit point of view.
I bought lots of tools over time, but funilly go back to a handful for most of the work.

Good morning,

It sounds like we have the same basic space allotment, and it is encouraging to hear that you have found a way to make the space work for you.

As a bit of a joke, my wife just bought me a small, hand-held vacuum to use when I start. She commentEd also that, “It will also be needed to suck up any spiders along the way.”

Like you, I plan to keep the tools simple and to do all the work by hand. I expect to make plenty of mistakes, but I feel there is a certain pride in taking ones time with a project and working through the difficulties (and frustrations).

RM

If you need help with starting your log, let me know. You will need to start your log in the SOS ship kits - wood section. When you start a post, all you do is reply to your own post. You can name your thread like Midwest Dinghy by Robert M.
Usualy modelers will take a few pics of the box and its contents to show us what all is involved. Then go from there.

Back