Hermione Lafayette by Artesania Latinia 1:89 Scale

bikepunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
53
Points
103

Location
Fairfax, VA
It has been a bit, my double vision has been quite a pain when modeling. But, it has gotten better. I cleaned my bench today to get a clear mind and started work again. Putting on rails on both sides, with my phone camera it looks a bit crappy. When trying to work with my bad vision at first I knocked a few things out (cannons) and was not careful. Once rails are done, touch up pain inboard and start on the pin rails.

outz.JPG
 

carp

Active Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2017
Messages
5
Points
43

Location
waterlooville
Have been looking at all hermione builds and following as many as i can, i am a little ahead of you but am now waiting for a missing part but l have plenty to get on with. yours is looking very good. I am not really happy with my eyes and chainplates but will now have to live with them

P1030256.JPG
P1030307.JPG
P1030309.JPG
 

bikepunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
53
Points
103

Location
Fairfax, VA
Progress on the build, on my eye as well (about 50% improvement every 3 months). Pin rails are on. I was going to make the pins and not use the supplied brass, but at this scale is perhaps the definition of madness. So I just did some prime and painted the supplied brass wire (I like burnt umber for that task).

For the baseboard, I cut to length at an angle. I am ok with the look, a few gaps that will be hidden by deck gear. May do some glue sand to cover the gaps, the FWD part is a but ugly from the curve of the hull.

I am putting in the ladders (the FWD ladder is not in so it looks off) hatch cover. Then, on to cannons. And as always, touch up paint.


IMG_2518.JPG
 

bikepunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
53
Points
103

Location
Fairfax, VA
Working on carriages. Cleaned up barrels with a bit of scraping, and sanding.

I use Legos (bottom right) to square up the carriages.

topckecarrag.jpg

My slop sink (best investment for a few bucks). Casey's on the shelf in a jar, two jars of water (one for dunks between, the other for a final), a brush, and cannon on end of tooth pick..ready to go. Tooth pick in the business end (I treat separate) and makes it easy to blacken.

To blacken I put the cannons in alcohol, then dip in water and repeat once and pat dry. Then use the brush (kinda soft cheap brush) to put on the Casey's, then dip water, shake off and repeat three times. Then dunk in clean water and set out to dry.
slopsink.jpg
 

bikepunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
53
Points
103

Location
Fairfax, VA
Carriage factory has been working, a push before vacation next week:) On the left are finishing touches (sanded down the outboard faces and put a new layer of paint, didn't like the look) before final assembly. Right is repairs, or some I took apart for a redo. The axles are copper, I used 2 part epoxy to join to the bottom and wheels of the carriage. Looking back, I should have just made some wooden dowels--easier to paint and glue. I won't finish up until after vacation. The board I use to hold the toothpicks is from a set of floor samples I had shipped when redoing my floors, never throw any wood away:)

fact.png
 

bikepunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
53
Points
103

Location
Fairfax, VA
Gun carriages all installed (need to put the lines down. Installed some post for the outer railings--not sure actual nautical name, I would have called it the #$%@ thing forward on the rail. I thin kit should be assumed that there will always be some touch up painting.

Ready to blow up something.

83.jpg


Happy with the post, given the scale. I did some where I replicated so looked the same, but I was like meh. Just hope I don't change my mind and rip them out and put in new:)
83a.jpg
 

bikepunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
53
Points
103

Location
Fairfax, VA
Just realized--2 years working on this build. A lot of life happened. But, been busy working. Here are a few updates (I am just about done with both bells, lost assembly pics with a phone crash).

For the bow hand rails, I used some bamboo dowels I made. Not happy with results but w/o phone zoom is ok.

123.jpg


The capstan seemed off scale to me so I tried to turn down (base plate broke off, not a big deal).
456.jpg

Turned down a bit (top part), but wan't too happy with results.

4156.jpg

So, using the kits supplied whelps I just turned another, pic below has original on bottom and others I was trying out above.

4589976.jpg
 

Messis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
123
Points
103

Location
Cyprus
I believe the capstan's size in the kit its ok. Not sure about the 1779 ship but sure for the replica
Screenshot_20190923-075626_Google.jpg
the crew of the ship sold from Artesania separately has a figure to turn the capstan which I have used in my build and as you see it corresponds to the size of the capstan as the picture of the replica showing the sailors turning it.
20190819_115848.jpg
 
Last edited:

bikepunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
53
Points
103

Location
Fairfax, VA
Top