Hermione Lafayette by Artesania Latinia 1:89 Scale

It has been a bit, my double vision has been quite a pain when modeling. But, it has gotten better. I cleaned my bench today to get a clear mind and started work again. Putting on rails on both sides, with my phone camera it looks a bit crappy. When trying to work with my bad vision at first I knocked a few things out (cannons) and was not careful. Once rails are done, touch up pain inboard and start on the pin rails.

outz.JPG

Progress on the build, on my eye as well (about 50% improvement every 3 months). Pin rails are on. I was going to make the pins and not use the supplied brass, but at this scale is perhaps the definition of madness. So I just did some prime and painted the supplied brass wire (I like burnt umber for that task).

For the baseboard, I cut to length at an angle. I am ok with the look, a few gaps that will be hidden by deck gear. May do some glue sand to cover the gaps, the FWD part is a but ugly from the curve of the hull.

I am putting in the ladders (the FWD ladder is not in so it looks off) hatch cover. Then, on to cannons. And as always, touch up paint.

IMG_2518.JPG

Working on carriages. Cleaned up barrels with a bit of scraping, and sanding.

I use Legos (bottom right) to square up the carriages.

topckecarrag.jpg

My slop sink (best investment for a few bucks). Casey's on the shelf in a jar, two jars of water (one for dunks between, the other for a final), a brush, and cannon on end of tooth pick..ready to go. Tooth pick in the business end (I treat separate) and makes it easy to blacken.

To blacken I put the cannons in alcohol, then dip in water and repeat once and pat dry. Then use the brush (kinda soft cheap brush) to put on the Casey's, then dip water, shake off and repeat three times. Then dunk in clean water and set out to dry.
slopsink.jpg

Carriage factory has been working, a push before vacation next week:) On the left are finishing touches (sanded down the outboard faces and put a new layer of paint, didn't like the look) before final assembly. Right is repairs, or some I took apart for a redo. The axles are copper, I used 2 part epoxy to join to the bottom and wheels of the carriage. Looking back, I should have just made some wooden dowels--easier to paint and glue. I won't finish up until after vacation. The board I use to hold the toothpicks is from a set of floor samples I had shipped when redoing my floors, never throw any wood away:)

fact.png

Gun carriages all installed (need to put the lines down. Installed some post for the outer railings--not sure actual nautical name, I would have called it the #$%@ thing forward on the rail. I thin kit should be assumed that there will always be some touch up painting.

Ready to blow up something.

83.jpg

Happy with the post, given the scale. I did some where I replicated so looked the same, but I was like meh. Just hope I don't change my mind and rip them out and put in new:)
83a.jpg

Just realized--2 years working on this build. A lot of life happened. But, been busy working. Here are a few updates (I am just about done with both bells, lost assembly pics with a phone crash).

For the bow hand rails, I used some bamboo dowels I made. Not happy with results but w/o phone zoom is ok.

123.jpg

The capstan seemed off scale to me so I tried to turn down (base plate broke off, not a big deal).
456.jpg

Turned down a bit (top part), but wan't too happy with results.

4156.jpg

So, using the kits supplied whelps I just turned another, pic below has original on bottom and others I was trying out above.

4589976.jpg

I believe the capstan's size in the kit its ok. Not sure about the 1779 ship but sure for the replicaScreenshot_20190923-075626_Google.jpg the crew of the ship sold from Artesania separately has a figure to turn the capstan which I have used in my build and as you see it corresponds to the size of the capstan as the picture of the replica showing the sailors turning it.20190819_115848.jpg

Last edited:
Well--it has been a bit. Have been focused on other parts of life, and just got back to the bench, which has remained a mess over the past few months. Progress topside and on the port side. Looking ahead and making some cuts in the ribbing in the bow.

top.jpgside.jpg

Here is today picture of the starboard side. I just put on a coat of yellow, with my eyes I really need the colors to see how things look. The gunports will need minor tweaks as I put in the trim (it is red). I will do a few more coats of yellow and then work on the port side, I will have pics of that progress.

Thanks for all your comments--wish I would have just done the log here in the first place:)

View attachment 42107
Hi, started on this kit recently…. What kind of yellow are U using on the hull?

I started this build in August of 2017 and had a build log on Blogger, but the app I used no longer works so I am transferring the log here--plus seems like a nice community:). I have a few post to catch up with, so I will add a post or two a day until I catch up. I lost some pics of my phone of some of the work, so there will be jumps.

I chose this kit for a few reasons. First, I like the French ships. Second (and perhaps most important) my wife like how it looks. Third, I was on the Lafayette class of boats, so that was part of the decision, sea stories of use-ta-fish are always fun. Even though the original Hermione meet her fate grounding, she did participate in some naval battles and did bring Lafayette to the colonies during the revolution.

I am a bit particular with inventory and sorting, so I spent the better part of the weekend going though the kit. Right off the bat--I am no fan of anything on a DVD, Blue-Ray, Thumb Drive, and so on that requires me to make it--I want paper to spill coffee on, write on, lose and have to find, and so on. The kit did come with the full size plans only (on the wall, pic below), but all other documents are on the DVD. Back to my inventory habit, the inventory was not a list, but pictures on a blue background. While it was only 17 pages, I would have preferred a printed inventory with a list and pictures. I am ok with no paper build manual, I don't keep my computer at my work bench, and I would not say that I follow the build directions 100%. The paint colors are on the website, and I do plan on painting. Sail quality are like my my last kit, but I am going though my mind if I want to furl, or just no sails.

A few quirks in the inventory. The capstan or support ribs are wrong size, no big deal to make new ribs. Real picky is that 2 rolls of the black thread is listed at 0.75 but supplied at 0.80--perhaps I should mention that I worked in QA to help pay for my drinking habit while going through college. There was no quantity for the decking (part 17, 110 was my count) and part 167 (3 pieces).

Box Ready to be Unpacked

Packaged quite well

Said Capstan and Ribs

Clean Workbench ready to start
Hallo @bikepunk
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I started this build in August of 2017 and had a build log on Blogger, but the app I used no longer works so I am transferring the log here--plus seems like a nice community:). I have a few post to catch up with, so I will add a post or two a day until I catch up. I lost some pics of my phone of some of the work, so there will be jumps.

I chose this kit for a few reasons. First, I like the French ships. Second (and perhaps most important) my wife like how it looks. Third, I was on the Lafayette class of boats, so that was part of the decision, sea stories of use-ta-fish are always fun. Even though the original Hermione meet her fate grounding, she did participate in some naval battles and did bring Lafayette to the colonies during the revolution.

I am a bit particular with inventory and sorting, so I spent the better part of the weekend going though the kit. Right off the bat--I am no fan of anything on a DVD, Blue-Ray, Thumb Drive, and so on that requires me to make it--I want paper to spill coffee on, write on, lose and have to find, and so on. The kit did come with the full size plans only (on the wall, pic below), but all other documents are on the DVD. Back to my inventory habit, the inventory was not a list, but pictures on a blue background. While it was only 17 pages, I would have preferred a printed inventory with a list and pictures. I am ok with no paper build manual, I don't keep my computer at my work bench, and I would not say that I follow the build directions 100%. The paint colors are on the website, and I do plan on painting. Sail quality are like my my last kit, but I am going though my mind if I want to furl, or just no sails.

A few quirks in the inventory. The capstan or support ribs are wrong size, no big deal to make new ribs. Real picky is that 2 rolls of the black thread is listed at 0.75 but supplied at 0.80--perhaps I should mention that I worked in QA to help pay for my drinking habit while going through college. There was no quantity for the decking (part 17, 110 was my count) and part 167 (3 pieces).

Box Ready to be Unpacked

View attachment 41914

Packaged quite well
View attachment 41927

Said Capstan and Ribs
View attachment 41928

Clean Workbench ready to start
View attachment 41930

Hallo @bikepunk
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back