HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

The first picture from the instruction manual shows a clamp over which rope will be wound. Because I couldn't make satisfactory clamps I used cleats instead but seeing that they both serve the same purpose, it will be fine.

Hello Dear Friends

Some time ago, when @Kolderstok Hans replied to the ongoing debate about whether both lifeboats or only one was stored on deck, he referred to an ancient Dutch publication “Sinnepoppen” by Roemer Visscher. Imagine my absolute surprise and delight when @Frank48 Frank sent me this publication in PDF format. Thank you Frank!

Why was I delighted? Because this book - even though it is completely unrelated to historical Dutch shipbuilding and naval archaeology - can be used to throw light on the whole lifeboat issue.

First though, I have to explain the genre of the book and why the book type was instrumental in providing the relevant guidance. The really important parts are marked in bold.

Sinnepoppen.gif

This is the title page of the original 1614 edition. The words "Elck wat wils" was Roemer Visscher's personal motto and means "Something for everyone".

Roem.png

This is the title page of the 1669 edition and is the edition that @Frank48 Frank sent me.

Sinnepoppen, first published in 1614, is perhaps the most popular emblem book of the Dutch Golden Age. Emblems were generally made up of three components: a title or motto (referred to by the Latin term inscriptio), an illustration (pictura) and an explanatory text in prose or, more often, in verse (subscriptio). True to the Renaissance-period, myths and legends from ancient Greek and Roman literature and Biblical and Christian motifs influenced the emblem genre in a significant way.

The emblematic book referred directly to daily life, resulting in highly recognizable and therefore extremely popular emblem books. These emblems were the perfect vehicle for moralistic lessons, as can be observed in Roemer Visscher`s Sinnepoppen.

The emblematic book as genre was introduced to the Low Countries (Netherlands) in the 1550s and by the 1570s an increasing number of poets wrote in this vernacular. In 1601, Daniel Heinsius published the first emblem book with subscriptions in Dutch, and other prominent poets such as Hooft, Vondel and Roemer Visscher soon followed his example. Nowhere else was the genre to flourish as richly as in the (Northern) Netherlands.

The work contains 183 emblems, divided into three sections, so-called 'schocken'. The word 'schock', meaning 'a set of sixty', refers to the number of emblems in each part of the book.

1ste schock.png

The first Schock.

Initially Visscher only wanted to publish the picturae. Only after the requests of his dearest friends and the commands ("gebeden en geboden") of the publisher Willem Iansz., did Roemer Visscher eventually decide to add short explanatory subscriptions in prose. Still, he asked his readers to pay more attention to the images, made by the unrelated artist Claes Jansz. Visscher.

As such he was a true believer in "a picture paints a thousand words". And herein lies an important clue. The pictures that he had chosen to convey a certain moral lesson, had to be one that was extremely well-known by all and which had to be generally accepted as the truth - in other words, it had to be common knowledge. And with that as background, look at the picture that he chose.

Roemer Visser.png

The Latin text (the inscriptio) above the picture reads “Sit oneri erit usui” which translates into Dutch as "moge tot last zijn, het zal van nut zijn.” and into English as: “it may be a burden now, but it will be of use.”

So if we now examine the picture (pictura), we see a lifeboat suspended from the side of a Dutch oceangoing vessel. (We know it is a Dutch vessel because of the Dutch Tricolor flags which are clearly depicted). What is important though is that the picture does not indicate a way of transporting the lifeboat, because that would not have been a "burden". No - the word "burden" indicates that he is referring to the process of hoisting the lifeboat onboard the ship, which would have been a burden.

The short verse at the bottom of the picture concludes this page. In Dutch it reads:

"Vedraeght geduldelijck, wat last en ongerief, Van Dat u in de noodt, kan dienstigh zijn an lief.

Translated into English, it reads:

Patiently endure the burden and discomfort; when you need it, it will be useful and kind to you.

The prose part of the emblem is as follows:

Geschrif.png

In Dutch: Als een Schip in de Zee gaet, soo set men het Boot (NOT THE SLOOP!!!) in het groote Schip, het welckaldaer een groote ruymte neemt, ende de Bootgesellen seer in de wech is; dan moet nochtans mee varen, niet tegenstaende alle ongerijf ende ongemaeck datmer af lijdt, om dat men daer mede noodigh moet aen het landt gaen, als men in de Haven komt: daerom dat men met reden zeydt:

Die wat spaert / die wat heest.

In English:

If a ship goes out to sea, the boat is put onboard the big ship where it takes up a lot of space and is in the way of the crew. Despite all the inconvenience and discomfort, they may suffer, the crew has to accept this, because they have to go to land in it when they reach the harbour. That is why he who saves, has.”

Therefore dear friends, like @Kolderstok Hans concluded in his posting, it was vitally important to have both boats onboard – in an emergency, it could mean the difference between life and death.

Thank you so much Hans for pointing me in the right direction, and thank you Frank for the book. Slowly, but surely my Willem Barentsz puzzle is falling into place.

Heinrich, don't get stuck in the thick pack ice of your own thoughts :)
To make it worse for you (or better), sometimes you have to think outside the box.
No one has ever told us a boat on deck should be facing straight forward. We all presume it was done so - maybe because all the kit makers (me inclusive) do so on their models. But was this really so? I don't know.
So I made a print in 1:1 of the deck drawing and put the boat on it. And you know? It fits perfectly - even wit a windlass behind the canopy. Lots of space to roam around on the deck (well... almost).

See my solution here:
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-21 at 1.34.44 PM.jpeg

Hans

Hello Dear Friends

Some time ago, when @Kolderstok Hans replied to the ongoing debate about whether both lifeboats or only one was stored on deck, he referred to an ancient Dutch publication “Sinnepoppen” by Roemer Visscher. Imagine my absolute surprise and delight when @Frank48 Frank sent me this publication in PDF format. Thank you Frank!

Why was I delighted? Because this book - even though it is completely unrelated to historical Dutch shipbuilding and naval archaeology - can be used to throw light on the whole lifeboat issue.

First though, I have to explain the genre of the book and why the book type was instrumental in providing the relevant guidance. The really important parts are marked in bold.

View attachment 304410

This is the title page of the original 1614 edition. The words "Elck wat wils" was Roemer Visscher's personal motto and means "Something for everyone".

View attachment 304411

This is the title page of the 1669 edition and is the edition that @Frank48 Frank sent me.

Sinnepoppen, first published in 1614, is perhaps the most popular emblem book of the Dutch Golden Age. Emblems were generally made up of three components: a title or motto (referred to by the Latin term inscriptio), an illustration (pictura) and an explanatory text in prose or, more often, in verse (subscriptio). True to the Renaissance-period, myths and legends from ancient Greek and Roman literature and Biblical and Christian motifs influenced the emblem genre in a significant way.

The emblematic book referred directly to daily life, resulting in highly recognizable and therefore extremely popular emblem books. These emblems were the perfect vehicle for moralistic lessons, as can be observed in Roemer Visscher`s Sinnepoppen.

The emblematic book as genre was introduced to the Low Countries (Netherlands) in the 1550s and by the 1570s an increasing number of poets wrote in this vernacular. In 1601, Daniel Heinsius published the first emblem book with subscriptions in Dutch, and other prominent poets such as Hooft, Vondel and Roemer Visscher soon followed his example. Nowhere else was the genre to flourish as richly as in the (Northern) Netherlands.

The work contains 183 emblems, divided into three sections, so-called 'schocken'. The word 'schock', meaning 'a set of sixty', refers to the number of emblems in each part of the book.

View attachment 304412

The first Schock.

Initially Visscher only wanted to publish the picturae. Only after the requests of his dearest friends and the commands ("gebeden en geboden") of the publisher Willem Iansz., did Roemer Visscher eventually decide to add short explanatory subscriptions in prose. Still, he asked his readers to pay more attention to the images, made by the unrelated artist Claes Jansz. Visscher.

As such he was a true believer in "a picture paints a thousand words". And herein lies an important clue. The pictures that he had chosen to convey a certain moral lesson, had to be one that was extremely well-known by all and which had to be generally accepted as the truth - in other words, it had to be common knowledge. And with that as background, look at the picture that he chose.

View attachment 304414

The Latin text (the inscriptio) above the picture reads “Sit oneri erit usui” which translates into Dutch as "moge tot last zijn, het zal van nut zijn.” and into English as: “it may be a burden now, but it will be of use.”

So if we now examine the picture (pictura), we see a lifeboat suspended from the side of a Dutch oceangoing vessel. (We know it is a Dutch vessel because of the Dutch Tricolor flags which are clearly depicted). What is important though is that the picture does not indicate a way of transporting the lifeboat, because that would not have been a "burden". No - the word "burden" indicates that he is referring to the process of hoisting the lifeboat onboard the ship, which would have been a burden.

The short verse at the bottom of the picture concludes this page. In Dutch it reads:

"Vedraeght geduldelijck, wat last en ongerief, Van Dat u in de noodt, kan dienstigh zijn an lief.

Patiently endure the burden and discomfort; when you need it, it will be useful and kind to you.

View attachment 304415

In Dutch: Als een Schip in de Zee gaet, soo set men het Boot (NOT THE SLOOP!!!) in het groote Schip, het welckaldaer een groote ruymte neemt, ende de Bootgesellen seer in de wech is; dan moet nochtans mee varen, niet tegenstaende alle ongerijf ende ongemaeck datmer af lijdt, om dat men daer mede noodigh moet aen het landt gaen, als men in de Haven komt: daerom dat men met reden zeydt:

In English:

If a ship goes out to sea, the boat is put onboard the big ship where it takes up a lot of space and is in the way of the crew. Despite all the inconvenience and discomfort, they may suffer, the crew has to accept this, because they have to go to land in it when they reach the harbour. That is why he who saves, has.”

Therefore dear friends, like @Kolderstok Hans concluded in his posting, it was vitally important to have both boats onboard – in an emergency, it could mean the difference between life and death.

Thank you so much Hans for pointing me in the right direction, and thank you Frank for the book. Slowly, but surely my Willem Barentsz puzzle is falling into place.
Good morning Hein, from the very beginning I noticed Your persevering in seeking the real truth of the Jewel you are building, it stimulated me to help you in my little way, you don't have to thank me for anything. See you soon

To make it worse for you (or better), sometimes you have to think outside the box.
No one has ever told us a boat on deck should be facing straight forward. We all presume it was done so - maybe because all the kit makers (me inclusive) do so on their models. But was this really so? I don't know.
So I made a print in 1:1 of the deck drawing and put the boat on it. And you know? It fits perfectly - even wit a windlass behind the canopy. Lots of space to roam around on the deck (well... almost).

See my solution here:
View attachment 304422

Hans
Hello Kold, is there also a reason that the lifeboats at the moment that go into the water always bow or not? Sorry that I invaded your yard

See my solution here:
View attachment 304422

Hans

"Heinrich, don't get stuck in the thick pack ice of your own thoughts :)"ROTF I love it Hans! You are right - I was stuck indeed, but no longer. To me things are starting to make sense; now it's just a case of putting it into practice! And like you have suggested in your picture (thank you very much for that!) who is to say that the boat wasn't stored like that or in another configuration. Like you say, now there is all of a sudden a lot of space.

And there is another thing. In your picture you showed the large lifeboat with the square stern. The one with the rounded stern (even though it is going to be a bas.... uhmmm ... "challenge" to build, takes up less space at the stern. So, where there is a will, I will make a way!

Good morning Hein, from the very beginning I noticed Your persevering in seeking the real truth of the Jewel you are building, it stimulated me to help you in my little way, you don't have to thank me for anything. See you soon
You are right Frank. Even though the real truth may never be fully known, I do not want it to be known that I haven't tried. Thank you for the kind words on my build - it is much appreciated!

Hello Kold, is there also a reason that the lifeboats at the moment that go into the water always bow or not? Sorry that I invaded your yard
I don't want to answer on behalf of Hans, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly Frank. Are you asking if the lifeboat was always stored with its bow pointing towards the bow of the ship?

See my solution here:
View attachment 304422

Hans
Lots of space to roam around and a lot of reason to curse that little “sta-in-de-weg” (obstacle) on deck… ROTF

Hello Dear Friends

View attachment 304410

View attachment 304411

View attachment 304412

The first Schock.

View attachment 304414

View attachment 304415

In English:

Interesting!

That's going to look a lot like the "dichtste bolstapeling"... (Densest spherical stacking)
It will in all likelihood not be possible, Johan, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

With the practice build of the bigger boat going very well (there are only two planks left to close the hull), three days ago, I started work on the one with the rounded stern which is the one that is actually intended for the Willem Barentsz. And let me tell you, it ain't easy. It took me three days to match the first plank to the dolboord (railing). Both the railing and the first plank had to be laid down in segments and when the glue was dry, adjustments were made for the next section.

微信图片_20220421221115.jpg
It is almost impossible to discern which side is the bow and which is the stern.

微信图片_20220421221059.jpg

Just like the real ship, the lifeboat has its own sway (zeeg).

And then the really tricky part.

微信图片_20220421221107.jpg

Look how much the railing slopes downwards and outwards. This means that the top of the bulkheads have to be faired at an angle as well to allow the railing to sit properly.

Had to chuckle regarding the “boat”. In one of my orders Hans included the 120x35x25mm square stern Bijboot for “practice” this looks to be a challenge for thumbs Ron
Yes Ron :) , the square stern 120x35x25mm boat is the one that I showed in the last picture. That is actually a nice build - not easy, because of the size - but because it has a conventional hull shape, you can follow the normal planking route. It is great practice!

Back