HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Nice. that would look good as is also.
Holy moly - no, Jan! There are till the side pieces, the holes, the handpaken, the knecht and the pal that need to be do done. Then cleaning up, sanding, and treating the whole assembly with shellac and then finding a way of installing it underneath the canopy! :)

Good morning Heinrich (you have skills)...must be a South African thing. I think we like the hard and challenging way;).....others may have different interpretationsROTF. Cheers Grant
Grant - very hard, very difficult, very challenging. @RDN1954 Johan said earlier he is counting the attempts ... well 7 to be precise.

The octagonal windlass just would not work. I actually got two attempts done that weren't bad looking, but it didn't wow me.

And again, @Frank48 Frank was the one who put me on the right path,

Frank.png

1650732682239.png

The man is a wealth of information and with a period-correct windlass, I could do further research. And indeed.

upload_2019-1-18_11-18-14.jpg

upload_2019-1-23_14-3-12.jpg

So onwards I went.

微信图片_20220424113946.jpg

Traced the outline of the side pieces on some stash of Pearwood spares.

微信图片_20220424114019.jpg

Then cut out the shape with an X-Acto knife (yes @dockattner Paul), and repeating the exercise because the thickness of the plywood, necessitated me to double up. Glue is applied to the one side.

微信图片_20220424113938.jpg

Clamped

微信图片_20220424114010.jpg

And emerging from the clamp, is this rather sad-looking piece of hogwash. Or is it? Next step - filing.

微信图片_20220424113954.jpg

Just filed, I only sandpaper right at the before I apply the shellac, the three main components are glued. Note the ratchets in the center which allow the windlass to be stopped and locked in any given position, But more on that later.

微信图片_20220424114027.jpg

Test-fit to make sure that everything fits under the canopy like it should and is in scale.

微信图片_20220424141358.jpg

And here is the knecht (Knighthead) added which carries the pal (no idea of the English name) which locks the windlass by fitting in between the ratchets.

Now when the glue is dry, the holes still need to be drilled for the windlass Levers (handpaken), then everything sanded and then one coat of shellac applied.

Grant - very hard, very difficult, very challenging. @RDN1954 Johan said earlier he is counting the attempts ... well 7 to be precise.

The octagonal windlass just would not work. I actually got two attempts done that weren't bad looking, but it didn't wow me.

And again, @Frank48 Frank was the one who put me on the right path,

View attachment 304841

View attachment 304842

The man is a wealth of information and with a period-correct windlass, I could do further research. And indeed.

View attachment 304843

View attachment 304844

So onwards I went.

View attachment 304845

Traced the outline of the side pieces on some stash of Pearwood spares.

View attachment 304846

Then cut out the shape with an X-Acto knife (yes @dockattner Paul), and repeating the exercise because the thickness of the plywood, necessitated me to double up. Glue is applied to the one side.

View attachment 304847

Clamped

View attachment 304848

And emerging from the clamp, is this rather sad-looking piece of hogwash. Or is it? Next step - filing.

View attachment 304849

Just filed, I only sandpaper right at the before I apply the shellac, the three main components are glued. Note the ratchets in the center which allow the windlass to be stopped and locked in any given position, But more on that later.

View attachment 304850

Test-fit to make sure that everything fits under the canopy like it should and is in scale.

View attachment 304851

And here is the knecht (Knighthead) added which carries the pal (no idea of the English name) which locks the windlass by fitting in between the ratchets.

Now when the glue is dry, the holes still need to be drilled for the windlass Levers (handpaken), then everything sanded and then one coat of shellac applied.
Brilliant Heinrich. A very clever way of making the ratchets for the Pal. Cheers Grant

Continued:

微信图片_20220424181042.jpg

After the shellac had been applied.

微信图片_20220424181036.jpg

Holes drilled (I have no intention of making my windlass look like it has been shot with a shotgun - the functional holes are there) and handpaken (windlass levers/spikes/poles what have you) are installed. Now the tips need to be nicely sanded.

Installed on the ship.

微信图片_20220424181059.jpg

Here I still needed to dab the tips of the handpaken with shellac.

微信图片_20220424181107.jpg

And done!

微信图片_20220424181028.jpg

Without affecting the bigger of the two boats at all.

Hi Heinrich!

SANY0011.JPG
Please do not push the windlass too much under the canopy? To operate are usually two handspikes (39) in the engagement of the windlass sockets (38). Before a handspike touches the ship's deck, the next one is adjusted from above . This is not possible under the canopy (but just before).
This is just an idea. Perhaps the handspike sockets were offset but also differently?

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Heinrich!

View attachment 304883
Please do not push the windlass too much under the canopy? To operate are usually two handspikes (39) in the engagement of the windlass sockets (38). Before a handspike touches the ship's deck, the next one is adjusted from above . This is not possible under the canopy (but just before).
This is just an idea. Perhaps the handspike sockets were offset but also differently?

Best regards
Thomas
Thank you very much Thomas. The length of the handpaken (spikes) on the smaller Dutch ships were between 0.90 - 1,20 meter. Taking a length of 1.0meter and then working that back to scale, the spikes actually clear the canopy - during rotation they fit underneath the roof of the canopy. The height of the canopy was 1.70 m.

@Thomas Marocke Hi Thomas. NOW I understand what you mean. My apologies - I have been so focused on this part of the build, that I can't even read properly. I even managed quite successfully to destroy my mobile phone in the laundry yesterday! :eek:

You are right - you would not be able to change the handspikes below the canopy's roof. I do think I am good though as they almost reach a 90 degree rotation.

微信图片_20220424192113.jpg

On the handspike on the port side, that would be the exact point at which they would change holes.

微信图片_20220424192057.jpg

@Thomas Marocke Hi Thomas. NOW I understand what you mean. My apologies - I have been so focused on this part of the build, that I can't even read properly. I even managed quite successfully to destroy my mobile phone in the laundry yesterday! :eek:

You are right - you would not be able to change the handspikes below the canopy's roof. I do think I am good though as they almost reach a 90 degree rotation.

View attachment 304904

On the handspike on the port side, that would be the exact point at which they would change holes.

View attachment 304909
While I admire your handiwork, which I could not dream of being able to replicate, I'm not convinced about the location of your windlass. You need to be an acrobat to go from the main deck to the deck fwd of the canopy and back under the best of circumstances, let alone in the middle of the night with a nice, force 10 northwestern blowing.
But fortunately I'm not in charge of your build! ;)

While I admire your handiwork, which I could not dream of being able to replicate, I'm not convinced about the location of your windlass. You need to be an acrobat to go from the main deck to the deck fwd of the canopy and back under the best of circumstances, let alone in the middle of the night with a nice, force 10 northwestern blowing.
But fortunately I'm not in charge of your build! ;)
My position of the windlass is spot on Johan.

Maarten8.jpg

As you can see on the replica ...

MK-kaapstander.png

And on Koos Weestra's model that served as the blueprint for the replica.

My observation is that while the Kolderstok canopy has been partially closed both at the front and the back, it is completely open on this model. Had it been left open, it would not be a problem to get to the foredeck.

However, to rectify that, I will have to build another Willem Barentsz.

Back