HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Hello Everyone.

I am sure that you are getting tired of all this research and technical talk - but I promise - tonight is the second-last research posting. After this all that remains is the final conclusion and decision.

You know how one sometimes looks at something without actually comprehending what it is that you are seeing? Well that is what happened to me. For goodness knows how long, I have been comparing Hoving and De Weerdt's plans to that of Kolderstok and to my model and never picked up on a glaring difference. Until it finally struck home!

View attachment 305706

Notice the three "steps" or "levels" that my rear bulwarks follow in their build-up towards the stern.

Now look at this:

View attachment 305709

De Weerdt

View attachment 305708
Hoving

So - what is amiss here? I delved back into the books and there De Weerdt very clearly stipulated: The high build-up at the stern probably housed a cabin of sorts.” He subsequently goes on to say that in all likelihood it would have been the cabin of Willem Barentsz and/or Jacob Heemskerck.

All good, but how does the presence of the cabin influence the number of steps in the rear bulwarks? Easy - the cabin has to have a floor and a roof - the latter determined by the lower (overloop or orlop) deck and the roof by one of the upper-decks. If the model does not have the captain's cabin, its deck layout and the subsequent bulwark heights will be different from one which has to make provision for a cabin. So why then did Hans not include the cabin? For the simple reason that the cabin will virtually be invisible.

So let me show you what the cabin looks like: (By the way, Hoving and De Weerdt are 100% in agreement with regards to its location and existence.)

View attachment 305710

Cabin marked in orange on the De Weerdt plans. Note the helmsman in front of the cabin in his helmsman's hut. You can also clearly see the whipstaff-idea that De Weerdt and Kolderstok subscribe to.

View attachment 305711

Cabin marked in orange on Hoving's plan. Notice the absence of helmsman's hut due to the fact that Hoving believed the Willem Barentsz used a tiller and not a whipstaff to steer the rudder.

The following pictures show the construction of the cabin according to Hoving's plans. The model builder was Constant Willems on Modelbouwforum.

View attachment 305712
The captain’s cabin – right behind the mizzen mast.

View attachment 305713

With the build-up of the bulwarks completed at the stern, that is what it looks like.

View attachment 305714
And that is the position that the helmsman will assume behind the rear canopy - exposed to all the elements. (Wild Men of Steel)

View attachment 305715
On the completed model that is what will be visible of the captain's cabin. Also note the complete absence of any front or rear walls on the canopy.

The next two pictures show the De Weerdt configuration.

View attachment 305716

Captain's Cabin. The roof beams that are just visible in the picture are those of the rear canopy.

View attachment 305717

Final configuration of De Weerdt on the Koos Weestra model. As you will see there is almost nothing of the cabin visible, but with the open rear canopy and possible addition of LED Lighting to the model, it should create a nice display - not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as my model is with its closed front wall and doors - but correct.

So, just as I laid my thoughts on the table for you guys, just so I laid them on the table for Hans - plus a few other suggestions that I will still get to at a later stage. And within 24-hours I had an amended line drawing of the @Kolderstok plans! This is not even a case of service anymore - it is a case of friendship!

View attachment 305718

Now it's just a question of thrashing out a few details with Hans and hopefully I can make an announcement to the final configuration soon!

That is all for now - until the next instalment.
Oh wow. To date i’ve struggled to conform and place the first plank on my WB build. Your build log and Kolderstok’s plans and instructions are my “textbook“. Your research and comparison to the known, the interpreted and assumed facts is amazing. Regardless of the historical differences you’ve noted in your incredible post, your build can be classified as an extraordinarily crafted model.
Thank you very much my dear friend for those beautiful sentiments. To me, one of the interpretations now makes perfect sense and I understand every nook and cranny of its lay-out. You are in the wonderful position that it is early enough in the build to decide which way you want to go. Hoving or De Weerdt or keep it standard! My research came too late for my own good! :)

Thank you very much my dear friend for those beautiful sentiments. To me, one of the interpretations now makes perfect sense and I understand every nook and cranny of its lay-out. You are in the wonderful position that it is early enough in the build to decide which way you want to go. Hoving or De Weerdt or keep it standard! My research came too late for my own good
Considering the time it takes me to accomplish a build step and to get to the deck area of the build, you’ll be finishing a revised WB planked in Oak.

Very interesting! I too want to try a scratch built ship but I am not there yet. Clearly, research is necessary! I am thinking that since my last an current build are POB, my next build probably should be a plank-on-frame ship. So, during your research you find differences, do you modify or incorporate model, or just decide to go with your original design?

Very interesting! I too want to try a scratch built ship but I am not there yet. Clearly, research is necessary! I am thinking that since my last an current build are POB, my next build probably should be a plank-on-frame ship. So, during your research you find differences, do you modify or incorporate model, or just decide to go with your original design?
I will not be doing a scratch-build Phil - I just do not have the means for that. I will still use the Kolderstok kit (it's that accurate) but I will work closely with Hans van Nieuwkoop (the Kolderstok owner), to incorporate the few changes that are needed. If I had not been so far along in the build, I could have done it on my current build, but to do it now would just be too much of a risk.

Normally with a scratch-build you will buy a planset either from Ancre or a similar organization and then base your build on that. However, my advice would be to do as much of your own research as you possibly can - provided of course that historical accuracy is your goal.

Pretty obvious what was stored there ROTF.
one would be tempted to think so Roger :) but apparently both Barentsz and Heemskerck were very studious and religious men. Mornings were started off with a prayer and in the evenings it was time for devotions. Various analyses detailing the outcome of the journey and ultimately the survival of the 12 men in the end, speak of a very disciplined crew.

What a research Heinrich. Guess you are ready for a scratch shell first build of your second willem barentz ship. :cool:
Yes Maarten - the research took a lot of time, but it was worth every minute. Maarten, as dearly as I would love to do a scratch shell-first build, I have to be realistic about my own abilities and my lack of tools. With future uncertainty a constant threat in the background, I cannot justify spending the money on tools for a build which I may have to abandon in two years' time when it would be impossible for me to get a work permit. So, the scratch-build part I leave in your more than capable hands. I am very excited about your Fluyt project and I will be rooting for you all the way.

Good morning Heinrich. Wow! A lesson for us all on how to research, question, challenge various options and build an uncompromising authentic ship.....yes I do think you need to be certified ROTF.
What amazes me is how different De Weert and Hovings drawings are - how to make those decisions?? As you have reinforced during this build, no one knows 100% and while some may find this frustrating you have embraced this challenge with aplomb.

I am waiting with bated breath for the final configuration. Sounds like you had fun doing this. Nice one Heinrich. Cheers Grant

Good morning Heinrich. Wow! A lesson for us all on how to research, question, challenge various options and build an uncompromising authentic ship.....yes I do think you need to be certified ROTF.
What amazes me is how different De Weert and Hovings drawings are - how to make those decisions?? As you have reinforced during this build, no one knows 100% and while some may find this frustrating you have embraced this challenge with aplomb.

I am waiting with bated breath for the final configuration. Sounds like you had fun doing this. Nice one Heinrich. Cheers Grant
Thank you for the very kind comments Grant! I have to agree - I enjoyed it thoroughly and to me it added a tremendous amount to the build. And with the wonderful help and support of Hans who will help me along the way, the new model will gain a personal identity. Yes the differences in interpretation are frustrating at times, but are also be expected. We are, after all, all individuals with our own ideas and solutions.

Yes Maarten - the research took a lot of time, but it was worth every minute. Maarten, as dearly as I would love to do a scratch shell-first build, I have to be realistic about my own abilities and my lack of tools. With future uncertainty a constant threat in the background, I cannot justify spending the money on tools for a build which I may have to abandon in two years' time when it would be impossible for me to get a work permit. So, the scratch-build part I leave in your more than capable hands. I am very excited about your Fluyt project and I will be rooting for you all the way.
Haha also better for the relationship with your neighbours with your working hours :)

PS The willem barentz gin is Brittish not Dutch.

Haha also better for the relationship with your neighbours with your working hours :)

PS The willem barentz gin is Brittish not Dutch.
Oh heck yes, Maarten - I will be out on street before I know it. You are right - it is a British gin - but I see the owner, Micael Claessens? is originally from the Netherlands. With a surname like that he has to be Dutch! :)

Back