HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

@pingu57 Peter, it was a money unit. The costs for outfitting the ships were expressed in Ponden, schellingen and grooten vlaamsch. The Griffioen, for instance cost: 716 ponden, 13 schellingen and 4 grooten vlaamsch. This is Zeeuwse Old-Dutch.

Jan, right now I am busy with the question paper. How will you guys fare with Old-Dutch, pounds, shillings and grooten Vlaamsch?

View attachment 307772
I’m absolutely positive with you lecturing to your SOS international students in time all this data will be fully understood. ROTF

My vote is for a simple multiple choice quiz. But then again my short term memory is terrible, so maybe I should just get credit for attending the class. :rolleyes:

Grooten Vlaamsch??? Coins, paper note??Gold Bars??

No chance of that Johan. This is not a kit that Hans can simply take from the shelf and send to me. There are many things that he first has to design, draw and then manufacture. It has to be seen as a true once-off or custom kit that will take some time to come to fruition.
Okay, that immediately jumps up the complexity to NITB, near impossible to build.
I wish you all the luck you can lay your hands on, you're going to need it... ;)

You know Heinrich, my hat is off to all those early explorers in wooden sailing ships that decided to navigate anywhere North of the arctic circle. From my reading the window of sailing time anywhere close to land (shallow waters) must have been very narrow before freezing occurred. The need for trade routes seems to be the leading cause for early explorations. To do it in wooden boats, without modern clothing or heating, well they just did not know any better.
Sometimes I wish for some of that drive to explore other worlds (in the broadest sense) our ancestors posessed, in our contemporary society...

I’m absolutely positive with you lecturing to your SOS international students in time all this data will be fully understood. ROTF

My vote is for a simple multiple choice quiz. But then again my short term memory is terrible, so maybe I should just get credit for attending the class. :rolleyes:

Grooten Vlaamsch??? Coins, paper note??Gold Bars??
Jan just remember. Much of this is just data to me as well - I have gathered it, but I have yet to understand large parts of it, However, I am working on it and slowly it seems as if there are two options that are beginning to emerge.

Okay, that immediately jumps up the complexity to NITB, near impossible to build.
I wish you all the luck you can lay your hands on, you're going to need it... ;)
I have a lot of faith in Hans that he will create something doable Johan. He knows his customer's limitations. :)

Sometimes I wish for some of that drive to explore other worlds (in the broadest sense) our ancestors posessed, in our contemporary society...
I once read that the human does what is required of him to do at a given time. On the list of developed countries in the world, the Netherlands are enjoying a firm position in the top 10 - something which they were very far from achieving in 1595. I suppose we can argue that necessity breeds excellence.

Back