HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

There are almost no references to be found on "schapprayken".
This is one I found: "en tot dien einde moet men den muer uytcappen en daer in een schappraeyken voeghen om de h. olie daer in te bewaeren" "therefore one shall make a recess in the the walls to place a cupboard into it to store the sacred oils". From the Parish book of Iseghem

Hi Heinrich,
My apologies, I have no idea why but I have not been receiving updates for this build log for what appears a very long time even though I am following, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi Heinrich,
My apologies, I have no idea why but I have not been receiving updates for this build log for what appears a very long time even though I am following, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Cheers,
Stephen.
No worries my friend - the important thing is you are back! There have been quite a few developments, yes! :) The update issue on SOS is really something that needs to be looked into - the same thing happens to me as well.

There are almost no references to be found on "schapprayken".
This is one I found: "en tot dien einde moet men den muer uytcappen en daer in een schappraeyken voeghen om de h. olie daer in te bewaeren" "therefore one shall make a recess in the the walls to place a cupboard into it to store the sacred oils". From the Parish book of Iseghem
Johan, here are numerous words in the articles and descriptions which I have no clue of. So you can imagine how long it takes to try and find their meaning. But, the upshot of it all is that I am learning an awful lot and more importantly I am really beginning to understand how these ships were built - so it's all good!

Johan, here are numerous words in the articles and descriptions which I have no clue of. So you can imagine how long it takes to try and find their meaning. But, the upshot of it all is that I am learning an awful lot and more importantly I am really beginning to understand how these ships were built - so it's all good!
My stars and stripes!!!!! How did this collection of pages turn into a tomb of such epic proportions???? It will have to evolve into Volumes I, II, III, ,,,, n before the server crashes under a RAM overload. Maybe it will become a encyclopedic best seller garnering commissions along the way. ;) Rich

My stars and stripes!!!!! How did this collection of pages turn into a tomb of such epic proportions???? It will have to evolve into Volumes I, II, III, ,,,, n before the server crashes under a RAM overload. Maybe it will become a encyclopedic best seller garnering commissions along the way. ;) Rich
Heck Rich - who knows? ROTF It's good to see you here again my friend!

Schapprayken:

View attachment 307845

An "etenskast" (sideboard) for storing plates and eating utensils.

I knew this - but as I am excluded from participation I didn't want to answer.
In fact you can split up the word schapprayken (or - as more often spelled as schaprayken) in two:
- schap - which is in fact a shelf to put things up - like the shelfs in your cupboard
- rayken - which is something like a rack - the sides where the schap rests upon.

Hello Dear Friends

Tonight the time has come to gather my own thoughts - so I thought I would share them with you.

For this final build I have adopted the motto of Persequi Veritatem – “Pursue the truth”. As such there will be room only for fact, while function will at all times takes precedence over form. This means that everything I present here is fact. If I am unsure or am speculating, I will say so.

1. Currently there are two possible interpretations as to the ship of Barentsz – that of Ab Hoving and of Gerald de Weerdt. I am happy that both have been
proven as very plausible.

2. Both men believe the ship to be a vlieboot/jacht of approximately 30-50 lasten and 65 feet in length. I use the word “approximately” because carrying a load of wood would result in a different number of lasten compared to when grain is transported.

3. Gerrit van de Veer’s drawings make up the only original and visual clue we have of the outward appearance of Barentsz's ship..

4. Even though Gerrit de Veer’s written journals of the Three Voyages form our primary source of information, it is far from prefect.

5. I have found Jan Hughen van Linschoten’s written narratives of the First and Second Voyages to be considerably more literate and more logical than De Veer’s (my opinion only). He also provides far more actual and detailed information about the ships than De Veer - I am sure that if he had been on the third journey as well, the name of Barentsz’s ship would not be a mystery.

6.There is excellent information available from the Admiralty of Zeeland on their ships used in the First and Second Expeditions (particularly on how the ships were prepared and modified for the second voyage). Van Linschoten presents this in great detail and indicates very clearly where even more detailed
information can be found. If there is one thing that I have learnt from my research, it is that in the late 16th century, the Admiralty Zeeland was heads and shoulders above any other Admiralty insofar as to the comprehensive and accurate records they kept.

7. I am particularly interested in the The Zeeland vlieboot/jacht, De Zwaan. Not only does its size of lasten (40) conform to that of the two proposed designs, but Ab also regularly refers to this ship in his book. The drawing below by De Veer depicts the size of the Zwaan to be a very small ship - in-line with a 65-foot jacht.

We also know that she was a stong performer - particularly during the first expedition. Under the very able captaincy of Cornelis Nay, she was the ship that
reached the Kara sea, a feat that none of the 7 ships could emulate in 1595.

8. As to the name of Willem Barentsz's ship – there is zero information to be found ... nothing ... zilch ... nada. The question still begs: Why would De Veer
mention the names of the ships of during the First and Second voyages, but make no mention of any ship’s name during the Third voyage. Nevertheless, Ab has generously supplied me with Gerald De Weerdt’s e-mail address and I have e-mailed him to ask him how he arrived at the name and what his sources are. Let’s see if I receive an answer.

And that is where I am tonight. From here there are three possible options on the road ahead. The build specifications of ships in the Netherlands were/are called "bestekopnames". Ab has produced the full-sized bestek of his model so we have a lovely guideline against which we can check possible candidates. But that would mean that I would need the names of the candidates and in an ideal world - also their bestekopnames. I have a gut feeling that we might just find something about De Zwaan, but that would call for a visit to the Zeeland Rijks archives.

Last edited:
I knew this - but as I am excluded from participation I didn't want to answer.
In fact you can split up the word schapprayken (or - as more often spelled as schaprayken) in two:
- schap - which is in fact a shelf to put things up - like the shelfs in your cupboard
- rayken - which is something like a rack - the sides where the schap rests upon.
Thank you for the explanation Hans. I did not know the semantics of the word - just knew the meaning. :) Yes, you and Ab are unfortunately excluded. But as a consolation prize I have arranged a day for you in the Zeeuws Archives! ROTF

Hello Dear Friends

Finally ...

THE REAL REASON FOR THE REPLICA BEING CALLED THE WITTE SWAEN

First, I have to give a huge Thank You to @Ab Hoving Ab who contacted Gerald de Weerdt and asked him specifically about the reason for the name. I am going to quote Ab verbatim.

I contacted Gerald.

There is no hard evidence that the ship was named Swan. Gerald chose for a different approach in looking for data, as they do not seem to be in the usual archives, probably because the ship did not return, so there was nothing to deal with. He went to different archives in Haarlem, Edam and to the Waterlandarchives and noticed that at the end of the 16th century there was a big need for loading capacity. Ships of 30 lasts were no longer in use and were sold for a very low price. That was exactly what Amsterdam was looking for, because the third expedition was on the Amsterdam account alone. There was only one 30 lasts ship available at that time and that was the Swan. Solid evidence? No. Probability? Hmmm, yes. It’s better than nothing.

Name the ship as want. Solid proof will probably never be found.
Ab

Back