HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

I think I get it. It is an early version of tensioning the "Stay" to the Foremast???? I'm not up to snuff with all this rigging terminology yet, still very confusing for a novice builder like me!!!:rolleyes:

Hello Everyone

Well I suppose you can say that 50% of the work set out for today was completed. I am still struggling my ... off with the masthead of the main mast.

First up was the gammoning:

View attachment 313437

Starboard side

View attachment 313438

View attachment 313439

These three pictures were taken with some serious magnification. Below is a normal picture focusing on the gammoning.

View attachment 313445

Then the mast cheeks were fitted to the main mast with their sheaves.

View attachment 313440

And then just a few overall pics.

View attachment 313441

The cross trees are just lying loose on the mast cheeks at this stage.

View attachment 313443

Very happy with the alignment of the masts.

View attachment 313442

View attachment 313444

View attachment 313448

And after playing around with camera settings I have found that the "Food" setting works particularly well on the WB. ROTF

Thank you so much for following my build log and for the support that I receive from you all. Hopefully WB #2 will arrive this week so that I can share some pictures with you.

Very nice work indeed Heinrich, a pleasure to watch Thumbsup

When you want to do it on the correct way, you need to put wooldings aroud the bowsprit and the "scheerhout". Like in the picture of me.
I also have my doubts about the "scheerhout" on this ship and era. It looks good and tidy.

When you want to do it on the correct way, you need to put wooldings aroud the bowsprit and the "scheerhout". Like in the picture of me.
I also have my doubts about the "scheerhout" on this ship and era. It looks good and tidy.
Hoi Stephan As far as all the interpretations that I have on the WB go, the scheerhout was definitely part of the rigging.

Sc.png
From the drawings of Cor Emke and the plans by Ab Hoving.

Barents-12.jpg
@Ab Hoving Ab's own model.

I looked it up, yes it is something what was normal on 16th and 17th century ships. So it's okay when attached.
About the wouldings You have to think about. The scheerhout must be very well tighten to the mast, because the stay is attached to it. What I found when making them to mine ship was that they where attached like I did. I need to search in my documents to find it back.

@Steef66 Hi Stephan. In his book "Het Schip van Willem Barents", @Ab Hoving Ab writes:

The high thin bowsprit seems to be set up exclusively to pull the bow lines of the front and foretop sails (voormarszeil) as far forward as possible. It thus fulfils the same function as the high-drawn straight bow of the kogge of two centuries earlier. However, there are strong indications that a blind sail, which was normally stored in the galleon or hold, could also be hoisted to this bowsprit. The sail would have functioned exclusively as a steering sail - a kind of counterpart for the still small mizzen.

Hi Heinrich,
I'm playing a two-day catch up. Your gammoning looks nice and tight as does the mast woolding, and those macro shots excellent.
Thank you very much Johan. Here is a sobering thought though. Once the masts go in permanently, there is a very good chance she is not leaving China.
Not sure I understand this, I certainly hope your ships can stay with you when time comes to depart.

Hi Heinrich,
I'm playing a two-day catch up. Your gammoning looks nice and tight as does the mast woolding, and those macro shots excellent.

Not sure I understand this, I certainly hope your ships can stay with you when time comes to depart.
Thank you for the kind words my friend. I simply meant that if and when the time comes for me to leave China, the logistics of taking a model with masts or a fully-rigged one with me on a plane would be very difficult and costly. Added to that, is the risk of damage which is also a very real possibility.

Thank you for the kind words my friend. I simply meant that if and when the time comes for me to leave China, the logistics of taking a model with masts or a fully-rigged one with me on a plane would be very difficult and costly. Added to that, is the risk of damage which is also a very real possibility.
Hmm, for protection ship in a big bottle springs to mind. ROTF ROTF

Well ok I see what you mean.

Back