HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Hello Everyone

Well I suppose you can say that 50% of the work set out for today was completed. I am still struggling my ... off with the masthead of the main mast.

First up was the gammoning:

View attachment 313437

Starboard side

View attachment 313438

View attachment 313439

These three pictures were taken with some serious magnification. Below is a normal picture focusing on the gammoning.

View attachment 313445

Then the mast cheeks were fitted to the main mast with their sheaves.

View attachment 313440

And then just a few overall pics.

View attachment 313441

The cross trees are just lying loose on the mast cheeks at this stage.

View attachment 313443

Very happy with the alignment of the masts.

View attachment 313442

View attachment 313444

View attachment 313448

And after playing around with camera settings I have found that the "Food" setting works particularly well on the WB. ROTF

Thank you so much for following my build log and for the support that I receive from you all. Hopefully WB #2 will arrive this week so that I can share some pictures with you.
Brilliant.

Dearest Friends

As I have promised earlier today, I picked up Kolderstok Willem Barentsz #2 today.

微信图片_20220616193307.jpg
As I have become used to by now, packaging was superb - safe and secure.

微信图片_20220616193314.jpg
微信图片_20220616193254.jpg

And this then is what sets this WB apart from its siblings - the Oak wood.

It quickly became clear to me that this is no ordinary WB. Of course, this is a very special kit to me as I suppose you can say that it is a custom-kit created for me. But the first thing that struck me on opening the box - and I must say I was not expecting this - was the huge impact of the oak wood. No matter at how many pictures of the 7P I have looked, (99% of those are ordered in oak), nothing could prepare me for just how beautiful the wood tone is.

微信图片_20220616193151.jpg

Just look at this 8mm-thick laser sheet containing the keel, rudder and assorted items.

微信图片_20220616193202.jpg
The oak just dominates the box.

微信图片_20220616193216.jpg
Close-up of the 1.5mm x 6mm planking strips.

微信图片_20220616193210.jpg

In total, there will be different wood types utilized for this build. From the top is the 1mm/1.5mm x 3mm/4mm strips, the1.5mm x 6mm strips, walnut strips in 1.5mm x 3mm/4mm and the 0.7mm x 4mm Abachi strips for the decks.

微信图片_20220616193156.jpg
Close-up of solid oak wood strips in three different thicknesses in case something additional has to be formed or cut-out.

微信图片_20220616193047.jpg
The selection of dowels that will make up the masts and spars.

微信图片_20220616193146.jpg
Such quality triplex I have yet to see on a model. It is extremely finely grained.

微信图片_20220616192936.jpg

On my request Hans has custom-made the windlass and mooring bitt for me out of solid 4mm oak and turned the octagonal windlass as well. I did make these on my current model so to make things a little easier for myself, I asked Hans to prefabricate these for me. This he did free of charge.

微信图片_20220616192929.jpg
The 3-D printed swan (De Zwaan) - a superb piece of very delicate work.

微信图片_20220616192915.jpg
The lifeboats - I do not even know how many there are, but I suspect three at least. The two @Kolderstok writing pads are incredibly useful.

微信图片_20220616193053.jpg
微信图片_20220616193106.jpg
微信图片_20220616193059.jpg
Sails and Flags

微信图片_20220616193042.jpg
Instruction Manuals - one for the hull and one dedicated to the rigging. This is in addition to the full-sized rigging plans.

微信图片_20220616192948.jpg

Ever wondered exactly how thick the rope must be that you use on your ratlines? Here is your answer and is the perfect example of the kind of detail that the manuals contain.

微信图片_20220616192942.jpg
The Japanese saw and handsaw I ordered; the hand drill was a surprise.

微信图片_20220616193036.jpg
As was the Clou water-based stain and two mixing bottles. Speak to guys like @Maarten and they will tell you - this stuff is the best. Unfortunately, Hans could not ship the alcohol-based product to me because of flight restrictions, but he remembered ... unbelievable ...

And then ... there is the clincher. When I saw this, I just went quiet. As a gift, Hans included this:

微信图片_20220616193300.jpg
To such a sentimental old fart as myself, this type of gesture is priceless. I have no words to thank him for this.

And that dear friends; is what #2 looks like. I did not attempt to do an unboxing or a kit review. I did not touch on the bulkheads, false keel, plans, ropes and the like as they will all be featured when I get to them during the build.

All that is left is to say a huge thank you to Hans and Kolderstok - I hope I can do this wonderful model justice!

What an exceptional looking kit of such high quality. Your excitment comes through your photos and description. Very pleased for you my friend.
Thank you so much Roger. You are right - I am very excited and nervous at the same time to have such a kit at my disposal. I have to put a hold on myself not to start tonight :).

Heinrich, that kit looks amazing, love the OAK material. Another fantastic product from Kolderstok.
Jan, I fully agree. As I have said, I have seen many 7P's build in oak as well as the odd Duyfken, but pictures do not do the effect justice. It is definitely much coarser-grained than the walnut and from what I have read, I expect it to be more difficult to work with. Let's see ... for now, I am just enjoying looking at and smelling the wood! :)

Let's see ... for now, I am just enjoying looking at and smelling the wood! :)
I’ve heard the term “smell the roses” :)
I agree there’s nothing like the smell of wood.
Best wishes with the oak. As you pointed out it is very coarse grained, probably why it’s my least favorite wood.

Best wishes with the oak. As you pointed out it is very coarse grained, probably why it’s my least favorite wood.
That is such an interesting point Ron. I will see how it pans out - I have never worked with oak before (I actually wonder whether someone has built a model in oak on SOS before) and that is where part of the attraction and challenge lies for me.

That is such an interesting point Ron. I will see how it pans out - I have never worked with oak before (I actually wonder whether someone has built a model in oak on SOS before) and that is where part of the attraction and challe
Dear Heinrich!

I am very happy to see you so happy. You know that a coin was placed on the keel and the main mast was placed on it. ;)

Have fun building!

Best regards
Thomas
Thank you for the kind words and the well wishes Thomas. I actually do know about the coin underneath the mast, but in this case, I think that the coin should be part of the display! :)

Back