HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

You SA’s are a tricky bunch. I see how you multiply your fleet. You take photos in front of a mirror.
All kidding aside your fleet looks superb.
Ron
Ron, secretly I am actually working on the second expedition that had 7 ships! ROTF Thank you for the kind words my friend, I am well pleased with this weekend's efforts.

Don't be ashamed Heinrich my friend, that is a commonly made mistake i believe. but you now made them correct, ( and carefull ) and it looks excellent.

Your WB2 is already looking great bye the way, the tone of the wood with the walnut on it is looking great.
Have fun building it .
Thank you for the very kind words my friend, I really appreciate it. No, I am not ashamed at all - I believe a build log should show both success and failure. That is how I learn and if I can point the way to others who may make the same mistake, then I am happy! :)

Heinrich,
Kudos, you have put a shift in this weekend, good luck sir.
Thank you, Jack. I did and I feel really good about it! This coming week all my students start their last exams so time will be at a premium. I had to use this opportunity now! :)

Oak, walnut, and pearwood.... the holy trinity of model shipbuilding!
I'm going to love this Heinrich!
I am glad that you are enjoying it, Daniel. The idea is to have the wales in walnut to accentuate them and have them stand out from the oak by virtue of them being darker. I have also ordered enough walnut that I can use that on the stanchions as well. At this stage, I don't envisage Pear, because of it very fine texture (which will be out of character with the rest of the wood used) and its color. The Pear that I have is reddish which in color works well with the walnut which, at times, almost have a purple tint to it. The oak though, when treated, looks to have a honey-tint.

Both WB’s look great. Are you going to fill the WB #2‘s hull with balsa to aid in the planking?
Thank you very much Jan. That is the idea - especially with the oak. I cannot get balsa in China, but I will be using Pauwlownia, which is basically the same thing. I have stacked up in advance, but looking at it again, today, I might need some more.

Thank you very much Jan. That is the idea - especially with the oak. I cannot get balsa in China, but I will be using Pauwlownia, which is basically the same thing. I have stacked up in advance, but looking at it again, today, I might need some more.
Excellent, I’m toying with that process for my WB and also for my Duyfken build. I’m realizing that the small hulls are just little more fiddly when planking than my big Chaperon hull. BTW how many planks for the hatch on the WB#2? :oops:

One of the male species multi-tasking, very impressive. I have to commit myself to one build at the time in order to maintain some notion of quality.
Now I'm looking at two WB models in totally different build stages and both get the attention they need, kudos, Heinrich.

Excellent, I’m toying with that process for my WB and also for my Duyfken build. I’m realizing that the small hulls are just little more fiddly when planking than my big Chaperon hull. BTW how many planks for the hatch on the WB#2? :oops:
7 Planks which equals 42mm. A border of 3mm x 2mm which when measured across gives you a 48mm square. When you look at the close-up pic of the hatch, you will see there is a very slight margin to the 50mm square indicated on the deck. I have done this because 48mm is dividable by 4 meaning that 12 x 4mm Abachi deck planks will give me my 48mm. That way I don't have to cut custom-borders in planks to go around the hatch - I can just plank straight along the edges of the hatch! :)

One of the male species multi-tasking, very impressive. I have to commit myself to one build at the time in order to maintain some notion of quality.
Now I'm looking at two WB models in totally different build stages and both get the attention they need, kudos, Heinrich.
Thank you very much Johan. Oh yes, they will both get their deserved attention. This way I can still remember what I did on #1 and I still remember my mental notes on how to improve things - which can now be incorporated into #2. That said we all know that two builds are different - even if it is of the same ship. And ... honestly ... the oak adds another dimension, because it is very different to work with. Just cutting two planks cross-grain destroyed 4 blades of my X-Acto.

And this then is what sets this WB apart from its siblings - the Oak wood.

And that dear friends; is what #2 looks like. I did not attempt to do an unboxing or a kit review. I did not touch on the bulkheads, false keel, plans, ropes and the like as they will all be featured when I get to them during the build.

All that is left is to say a huge thank you to Hans and Kolderstok - I hope I can do this wonderful model justice!
Your new kit looks top notch Heinrich. Not much can beat oak wood when it comes down to it, and it has all the makings of a very fine model indeed. Enjoy the build, and we will enjoy it with you. Good luck Thumbsup

Thank you very much Johan. Oh yes, they will both get their deserved attention. This way I can still remember what I did on #1 and I still remember my mental notes on how to improve things - which can now be incorporated into #2. That said we all know that two builds are different - even if it is of the same ship. And ... honestly ... the oak adds another dimension, because it is very different to work with. Just cutting two planks cross-grain destroyed 4 blades of my X-Acto.
Eish.

Your new kit looks top notch Heinrich. Not much can beat oak wood when it comes down to it, and it has all the makings of a very fine model indeed. Enjoy the build, and we will enjoy it with you. Good luck Thumbsup
Thank you very much Mark. I will try my best to do justice the kit - which as you say - is indeed top notch.

My thoughts exactly. :)
Good morning Heinrich- May be time to invest in some of those fancy cutting tools etc. Oak and Xacto blades replacement will probably cost you the same. I really love the oak Walnut contrasts. It is the first model I have seen in oak and the grain looks brilliant. Going to be a stunning WB- and a first. Cheers Grant

Good morning Heinrich- May be time to invest in some of those fancy cutting tools etc. Oak and Xacto blades replacement will probably cost you the same. I really love the oak Walnut contrasts. It is the first model I have seen in oak and the grain looks brilliant. Going to be a stunning WB- and a first. Cheers Grant
I have also thought of one of those "fancy" cutting devices. Apparently this one from Ultimation - a Canadian company - is the bee's knees.

Ult.png
It's very pricey but apparently it offers extreme precision. I was told about this by Mike Shanks who, in turn, was told about it by @Dematosdg Daniel.

Here is their website: https://ultimation.ca/

BUT and this is the big BUT: Apart from the price, it means something else that has to be left behind. To justify its costs to the Admiral will be difficult - even for me. :)

Back