HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Hello Everyone

Well I suppose you can say that 50% of the work set out for today was completed. I am still struggling my ... off with the masthead of the main mast.

First up was the gammoning:

微信图片_20220612192637.jpg

Starboard side

微信图片_20220612192737.jpg

微信图片_20220612194723.jpg

These three pictures were taken with some serious magnification. Below is a normal picture focusing on the gammoning.

微信图片_20220612194058.jpg

Then the mast cheeks were fitted to the main mast with their sheaves.

微信图片_20220612192804.jpg

And then just a few overall pics.

微信图片_20220612192811.jpg

The cross trees are just lying loose on the mast cheeks at this stage.

微信图片_20220612192744.jpg

Very happy with the alignment of the masts.

微信图片_20220612192817.jpg

微信图片_20220612192758.jpg

微信图片_20220612200338.jpg

And after playing around with camera settings I have found that the "Food" setting works particularly well on the WB. ROTF

Thank you so much for following my build log and for the support that I receive from you all. Hopefully WB #2 will arrive this week so that I can share some pictures with you.

She looks terrific Heinrich with great photography. I especially enjoy the close-ups, each photo becomes a form of instructional technique in itself.
Thank you very much Roger. With the pics I go for as much magnification so that I can to see what still needs to be reworked or finished better. The pics of the gammoning should be useful to future WB builders.

The simple fact that your camera has a 'food' setting speaks powerfully to the age we live in: plates of food posted on Instagram and wherever... We have officially left the reservation for uncharted lands.

Then again, when that polar bear climbed on the WB perhaps he too was using his 'food' filter so it really does make sense in the end!

The simple fact that your camera has a 'food' setting speaks powerfully to the age we live in: plates of food posted on Instagram and wherever... We have officially left the reservation for uncharted lands.

Then again, when that polar bear climbed on the WB perhaps he too was using his 'food' filter so it really does make sense in the end!
:D I am sure the bear was zoomed in on food. You are so right about the age we live in Paul - in China, WeChat is more often than not dominated by food dishes and visits to restaurants, so it all figures.

Whew, you’re getting too deep for my feeble mind Paul

Hello Everyone

Well I suppose you can say that 50% of the work set out for today was completed. I am still struggling my ... off with the masthead of the main mast.

First up was the gammoning:

View attachment 313437

Starboard side

View attachment 313438

View attachment 313439

These three pictures were taken with some serious magnification. Below is a normal picture focusing on the gammoning.

View attachment 313445

Then the mast cheeks were fitted to the main mast with their sheaves.

View attachment 313440

And then just a few overall pics.

View attachment 313441

The cross trees are just lying loose on the mast cheeks at this stage.

View attachment 313443

Very happy with the alignment of the masts.

View attachment 313442

View attachment 313444

View attachment 313448

And after playing around with camera settings I have found that the "Food" setting works particularly well on the WB. ROTF

Thank you so much for following my build log and for the support that I receive from you all. Hopefully WB #2 will arrive this week so that I can share some pictures with you.
No hiding when magnified, if it passes that test the overall will be beautiful which it is.

No hiding when magnified, if it passes that test the overall will be beautiful which it is.
Thank you Richie. I decided early on to use the macro-close-ups to evaluate my work. With the kit-supplied rope the severe magnification will always show a little fuzziness, but I have to be realistic. If I had reduced the magnification by half, it would be impossible to see. Of course, the only "solution" would be to import aftermarket rope - something which is just not feasible at the moment with the Covid restrictions.

Thank you Richie. I decided early on to use the macro-close-ups to evaluate my work. With the kit-supplied rope the severe magnification will always show a little fuzziness, but I have to be realistic. If I had reduced the magnification by half, it would be impossible to see. Of course, the only "solution" would be to import aftermarket rope - something which is just not feasible at the moment with the Covid restrictions.
Hi Heinrich,
I would add that too much of the macro work can tend to skew the overall perception, that is beyond what it is possible to see any way, mind you it is a good tool to critique the work. It always pays to step back from time to time.
Your gammoning along with the rest of your build looks great.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Fuzzy or not, the result is great. The close up photos show the attention you pay to detail.

Jan

(BTW, I've researched the photo app on my iPhone, no "Photo setting for food", I do have a compass and altitude app. So I'll know how high I am when I use the compass because I'm lost in the house.)

Hi Heinrich,
I would add that too much of the macro work can tend to skew the overall perception, that is beyond what it is possible to see any way, mind you it is a good tool to critique the work. It always pays to step back from time to time.
Your gammoning along with the rest of your build looks great.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you very much for the kind words Stephen. I agree 100% - the macro close-ups should be regarded as a tool - for either instructional purposes or self-critique. At the same time it is equally important to move back and present an overall perspective.

Fuzzy or not, the result is great. The close up photos show the attention you pay to detail.

Jan

(BTW, I've researched the photo app on my iPhone, no "Photo setting for food", I do have a compass and altitude app. So I'll know how high I am when I use the compass because I'm lost in the house.)
Thank you Jan. The close-up of the gammoning was done to show a possible way of how it could be done. It is quite tricky because there is not a lot of space for it and it has to be weaved in between the pillars of the galleon.

Jan

I may add that in retrospect I should have moved the clamps slightly further up the bowsprit to create more of a straight line for the gammoning.

I am sure Willem Barentsz would have appreciated such a phone! :D

I am sure Willem Barentsz would have appreciated such a phone
Not only the phone but this gadget would have been top on his list.

80EC0AB9-EAB3-4280-BC8A-1CEFBA2FD000.jpeg

It’s got more information than the Sunday edition of the New York times. (Activity, Heart rate, Tides, UV index, temperature, local weather, etc.)

Complete and absolute overkill for an Octogenarian like me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not only the phone but this gadget would have been top on his list.

View attachment 313586

It’s got more information than the Sunday edition of the New York times. (Activity, Heart rate, Tides, UV index, temperature, local weather, etc.)

Complete and absolute overkill for an Octogenarian like me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Jan in 99% of the cases, all these gadgets are overkill - but it's a still a very nice toy to play with! :D

Give me back the days when you took photos on film or slide and could use filters to adjust contrast or polarization to reduce glare or make clouds stand out in sky.

I enjoyed taking lots of photos back then, and have boxes of equipment in storage from the good old days.

I still have my old 40's era Graflex 4'x5' film camera, with front that folds down and lens that slides out, and you could use black hood to focus on back glass.

Back