HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Good grief, I go outside and mow the lawn come back in and find there’s five pages of posts on Heinrich’s thread.……
…… ok, so I am now caught up, a lot to read but now the lawn needs mowing again :D.

But as usual fascinating and informative reading, especially the purpose, means and methods of double planking. The information about the worms I will enjoy reading to my young grandson especially this part (I am sure he will sleep well tonight, thanks ROTF ):

“In the gap pokes a muscular foot that acts like a suction cup, holding the shell in place while its razor-sharp edges scrape the wood ahead of it. At the top, 2 flesh-toned siphons swish water over massive gills. At the bottom, a slimy, eyeless head resembles a mix of wet lips & diseased intestines. In between, a glistening gunpowder-blue body stretches up to 4 feet long.”

That hull planking looks terrific.

This is a job well done Heinrich, she looks beautifull and exremely symmetrical.
As Daniel said, i am also looking forward to see her sanded and finished of.
Thank you, my friend - I appreciate your most kind words. I am very happy that you like the look of the ship. Yes, I am very pleased with the symmetry of the hull. Closing the hull at the stern was very tricky, but in the end, all is good that ends well. :) I don't think there will be a big difference once the second layer of shellac has been applied and the 1000-grit sanding done. The shellac is pretty much colorless, and the hull is already very smooth.

Good grief, I go outside and mow the lawn come back in and find there’s five pages of posts on Heinrich’s thread.……
…… ok, so I am now caught up, a lot to read but now the lawn needs mowing again :D.

But as usual fascinating and informative reading, especially the purpose, means and methods of double planking. The information about the worms I will enjoy reading to my young grandson especially this part (I am sure he will sleep well tonight, thanks ROTF ):

“In the gap pokes a muscular foot that acts like a suction cup, holding the shell in place while its razor-sharp edges scrape the wood ahead of it. At the top, 2 flesh-toned siphons swish water over massive gills. At the bottom, a slimy, eyeless head resembles a mix of wet lips & diseased intestines. In between, a glistening gunpowder-blue body stretches up to 4 feet long.”

That hull planking looks terrific.
Hi Roger. I have to keep you guys on your toes, goodness knows, the little ship has kept me on mine. I am very happy that you like the way the hull turned out. I am now waiting with bated breath on the Admiral to arrive and for the final Quality Check to be done. :eek:Her support is tremendous and if I have done well, she will not hesitate to tell me so, but oh boy, when something is not perfect in her eyes, she will also tell me that ... pronto! ROTF

Hi Heinrich,
I don't usually question what any other one does but please think long and hard before you try fuming your lovely little hull with ammonia, believe me more can go wrong than right, especially if you have already applied another coating such as shellac. JJ.

While we all agree upon a job well done by our South African Chinese Dutchman, there's something bugging me for quite a while now and that's the grain of the oak.
To me it appears as if the grain is way too coarse for this little beauty and I just keep asking myself how she will look once the finish has been applied. Will the grain appearance be softened, or will it be high lighted? I sincerely hope it is not the latter, but that is a very personal and subjective opinion. To me it would negatively effect the esthetics of this model.
By the way, this does not say anything about the quality of the kit or the capabilities of the builder in question.

Hi Heinrich,
I don't usually question what any other one does but please think long and hard before you try fuming your lovely little hull with ammonia, believe me more can go wrong than right, especially if you have already applied another coating such as shellac. JJ.
Hi Jack. Thank you so much for your comment expressing your concern - I will never see it as questioning of what I have done or intend to do - merely as sound advice which all adds up to my final decision-making. The reason I mentioned the fuming is just as another alternative and is by no means a decision I have taken. The shellac that I have applied up to this point was not done as a finish, but merely as a sanding sealer. The hull below the waterline gets painted white next, so there will only be a small portion of oak visible. Above the wales, I have not applied any finish whatsoever, as there is still a substantial amount of planking that needs to take place.

I still need to experiment with the German Clou stain that Hans sent me and which is a finish that is very highly regarded by some of the top modelers, my 100% pure and natural Tung Oil and lkastly just a clear, matte Polyurethane finish. I can assure you that extensive testing will take place before any final decision gets made.

Once more, thank you so much for your valued input.!

Oh Wow. That hull looks fantastic. I just spent some time catching up on your log. Incredible work my friend.
Thank you very much Jan. The hull did come out very well. I am particularly pleased with how it closed up at the stern with razor-sharp lines and a very nice shape. The fact that it is virtually impossible to spot the stealers and lost strakes all add to the fluid lines of the hull. However, having said all that, Admiral Anna failed me on three, minute spots where her nail caught! That's right - she examines the smoothness of the hull by running her nails cross-grain across the planking. :eek: so, still more sanding, filling up with sawdust and shellac and more sanding in store for me tomorrow!

Thank you very much Jan. The hull did come out very well. I am particularly pleased with how it closed up at the stern with razor-sharp lines and a very nice shape. The fact that it is virtually impossible to spot the stealers and lost strakes all add to the fluid lines of the hull. However, having said all that, Admiral Anna failed me on three, minute spots where her nail caught! That's right - she examines the smoothness of the hull by running her nails cross-grain across the planking. :eek: so, still more sanding, filling up with sawdust and shellac and more sanding in store for me tomorrow!
You've gotten excellent on site Quality Control expert. :D I don't dare to send my hull to be checked.:D

While we all agree upon a job well done by our South African Chinese Dutchman, there's something bugging me for quite a while now and that's the grain of the oak.
To me it appears as if the grain is way too coarse for this little beauty and I just keep asking myself how she will look once the finish has been applied. Will the grain appearance be softened, or will it be high lighted? I sincerely hope it is not the latter, but that is a very personal and subjective opinion. To me it would negatively effect the esthetics of this model.
By the way, this does not say anything about the quality of the kit or the capabilities of the builder in question.
Johan, first, thank you once more for your very generous and kind comments. About the grain of the oak - the shellac that I applied (two coats now) did not seem to alter the look of the grain in any way - i.e., it did not soften or mad the grain appear harsher. As I mentioned to Jack, the whole hull gets painted white below the waterline so there will only be a relatively small portion of oak visible below the wales. The big question will thus be how it looks above the wales, because there is still a lot of planking that needs to be done as I move upwards on the hull. The only thing I can do, is to sand/polish that part to as smooth a level as possible and then apply whatever finish I choose. I think the Clou beits (stain) is going to provide the definitive answer in that regard.

On the plus side, I can say I built the model from the exact same wood as the 1:1 - that has quite a nice ring to it! :)

You've gotten excellent on site Quality Control expert. :D I don't dare to send my hull to be checked.:D
She is an incredible woman, but she is very strict. I am dead serious when I say that if she passes it, I can be happy. Also, I dare not question her verdict or say anything in my defense. I once tried telling her how difficult the oak is to plank with - her immediate question was: "Who chose to plank the ship in oak?" :eek:Exclamation-Mark

She is an incredible woman, but she is very strict. I am dead serious when I say that if she passes it, I can be happy. Also, I dare not question her verdict or say anything in my defense. I once tried telling her how difficult the oak is to plank with - her immediate question was: "Who chose to plank the ship in oak?" :eek:Exclamation-Mark
Heinrich...if you challenge Anna’s verdict another visit to that fine Japanese restaurant will be required ROTF. BTW, I personally think once the hull below the waterline is painted and with the walnut wales as contrasts the oak hull is going to be outstanding....time will tell, however you are a pioneer in this quest and that in itself says everything. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant. Yes, a verdict-challenge my just prove to be an expensive exercise in more ways than one. Anna is fully involved in the build in the sense that I keep her in the loop - even about the smallest little progress, and also when things do not go to plan. Therefore, whenever I hear "What happened here?", I make sure to pay very close attention and act upon it.

Your comment about the combination of the oak, a painted under-hull ship and the walnut strakes, is a very observant one and spot on - I fully agree. After I have just seen @Uwe's use of the CLOU stain, I am really excited to give it a go. With Uwe's permission, I would like to show you guys what I mean.

@Uwek Uwe's build log of the HMS Granado by CAF in Pear Wood.

IMG_0274.jpg
With the CLOU
IMG_0276.jpg

Now that, in my book is, IMPRESSIVE! (Great work Uwe!).

Also, I am indeed excited about building (what I think) is the first model on SOS to be built in oak. If my facts are incorrect about this one, I apologize beforehand.

I still need to experiment with the German Clou stain that Hans sent me and which is a finish that is very highly regarded by some of the top modelers, my 100% pure and natural Tung Oil and lkastly just a clear, matte Polyurethane finish. I can assure you that extensive testing will take place before any final decision gets made.

Once more, thank you so much for your valued input.!

Are you using the tung oil at 100% or diluting with mineral spirits? I remember in a post some time back you used a 40% tung to 60% mineral spirit?

Last edited:
Are you using the tung oil at 100% or diluting with mineral spirits? I remember in a post some time back you used a 40% tung to 60% mineral spirit?
Roger, if I decide to go for the Tung Oil option, I will do so in my usual 40/60 split - exactly like you mentioned - i.e., 40% Tung and 60% mineral turpentine for the first two layers, then a 50/50 split and then a 60/40 split. The problem with the Tung Oil though, is that I can only apply it right at the end as I cannot glue anything to the hull once the tung oil mixture has been applied. The glue simply will not adhere to anything over the Tung-oil finished parts. During the course of today, I will mix the CLOU stain, test it on a sample and do the same with the Tung Oil.

Hi Heinrich,

Looks beautiful, I bet you are very happy with the resalt and the fact you have finished planking the hull.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you very much for the generous comments my friend. I am very happy that you like the finished hull and ... yes ... I am very relieved that this part is done and dusted. :D

Roger, if I decide to go for the Tung Oil option, I will do so in my usual 40/60 split - exactly like you mentioned - i.e., 40% Tung and 60% mineral turpentine for the first two layers, then a 50/50 split and then a 60/40 split. The problem with the Tung Oil though, is that I can only apply it right at the end as I cannot glue anything to the hull once the tung oil mixture has been applied. The glue simply will not adhere to anything over the Tung-oil finished parts. During the course of today, I will mix the CLOU stain, test it on a sample and do the same with the Tung Oil.

Thank you Heinrich. I can get polymerized tung oil locally that is already mixed 50% mineral spirit. The mineral spirit is to dilute it to a workable consistency. The problem is that polymerization gives a high lustre finish, something I do not want. I assume you mix small proportions of the 100% tung with the spirits just for the job in hand and measure accordingly?

Thank you Heinrich. I can get polymerized tung oil locally that is already mixed 50% mineral spirit. The mineral spirit is to dilute it to a workable consistency. The problem is that polymerization gives a high lustre finish, something I do not want. I assume you mix small proportions of the 100% tung with the spirits just for the job in hand and measure accordingly?
Exactly Roger. I mix in 250 ml total quantity at a time as this seems to be the size of most measuring cups that I can find here. That does mean that I unfortunately "waste" a lot of tung oil and turpentine, but since my supply of Tung Oil is virtually limitless, that's no problem. I wish I could send you some of my Tung Oil - that is the real thing!

Dear Friends.

If you want to know more about the CLOU that I have been mentioning, please have a look at the following - both links kindly supplied by @Uwek Uwe.

This is a link to the CLOU website: https://www.clou-shop.eu/clou-heimwerker/holzlacke/g1-schnellschleif-grundierung.html

@Kolderstok Hans has very kindly included two satchels of water-based CLOU - one in Medium Oak and one in Dark Oak.

Pulverbeize_164_eiche-mittel_D.jpgpulverbeize_164-eichemittel_17471_0_47737_0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-wroLdhtMW.jpg
Pulverbeize_165_eiche-dkl_D.jpgpulverbeize_165-eichedunkel_17472_0_47738_0.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Q1cSfXxdSP.jpg

In my book, I think the Medium Oak is the one to try first!

Pulverbeize_165_eiche-dkl_D.jpg

Back