HM Cutter Lady Nelson scale 1:64-Victory (Amati) Models [COMPLETED BUILD]

To fair the planks into shape , I use this little hand plane attached to my Dremel vice and works pretty good , better than sanding , working on the 2nd Hull planking , I didn’t want to use Wood glue where pins are needed so revered to using CA glue instead , an electric plank bender is a must , soaking the planks for a couple of minutes .

B7C4DFBD-C44A-42A3-8D0A-B76D7DFF8B0E.jpeg

83A54B35-E6EF-45F4-8ADA-FEC8F9EA07FE.jpeg

37AB2D72-D672-4FEB-8C53-65769B28EE46.jpeg

D07954C7-C6F8-413C-8A60-835A094C1D0E.jpeg

Completed the deck first and the 2nd planking Bulwark last , not finished as yet to make sure a nice fit , the water line showing gives us an idea a final hull coating if it intervenes with the hull gap fillings , the deck will get a coat of sanding filler and a clear Matt finish , the hull so far a sanding coat

679CFE97-677F-431A-8898-247089C3F779.jpeg

B7F00127-BD62-4C7C-A219-661BEA1B7259.jpeg

832306D0-34C6-4EBC-AD95-176BC72EFF21.jpeg

267974EA-E637-4B50-B68E-172226DA63FD.jpeg

DD87B4A8-B4DC-45F3-B976-D3A7C0FE95A1.jpeg

The Hull is completed and painted ( except for the usual touch up here and there ) to achieve a neat finish between deck and bulwark , my order of work to get the deck planking out of the way before adding the inner bulwark , on the stern I left out the rim around the name plate so much neater without , Hull planking achieved without using ghastly pins , the Mahogany planking is very solid and I am afraid damage could be done , so used miracle CA glue mostly.

04920FEE-3336-41F1-9263-9CFB5FCADB67.jpeg

BD516649-B89D-4E5C-9F56-4F87BCCBF468.jpeg

Off the Base and Pedestals for more work , working on the guns and other items on deck , it’s getting there ! Not a difficult ship to build , I drilled 1.1mm holes from the outside to secure the eyelids for the breeching lines for the gun carriages ,unfortunately I don’t have a drill press with less than 1mm drill bits to drill metal ring holes in the carriage base for more detail , I have to address the winch , too shiny so either buff it or use a mat spray , and so are more things that needs to be rectified

63D6E650-F28F-4142-82B5-311DF1897B31.jpeg

406897FC-BF2B-4614-967E-618AA77E1B0A.jpeg

2B58620F-1A86-4E0C-9F92-E5DBF6E417E9.jpeg

Mast up and shrouds part of the standing rigging , I also use a Cedar polish for woodwork

View attachment 309448

View attachment 309449

Hemp was the second most used material in shipbuilding after wood​

Hemp's high resistance to degradation from salt water and sunlight, and its natural UV protection makes hemp clothing perfect for the sun and sea. This high resistance to rotting and superior strength led to hemp's premier use in marine fittings throughout history. ⁣

In the 16th to 18th centuries, while intercontinental trade was booming, the fleets at the time were powered by the force of the wind. During this period (and up until the early 1900s), hemp was used to make the majority of all shipping sails, ropes, rigging, ladders, shrouds and nets. Hemp fibre was also mixed with tar and used to fill the seams between the planks of a wooden hull in order to make ships watertight (called 'caulking'). Sailors’ clothes were often made of hemp, lamps used hemp oil, crew ate protein-rich hemp seeds and captains kept the ship’s log on hemp paper. ⁣

Hemp was the second most used material in shipbuilding after wood. Sailing ships were dependent on canvas (the word 'canvas' is derived from 'cannabis') – a medium-sized vessel used 5 to 8 tonnes of hemp in the form of sails and 55 to 75 tonnes of hemp as ropes per year. ⁣

The hunger for the commodity was great. In 16th Century UK, Henry VIII passed an act compelling all landowners to sow 1/4 of an acre, or be fined. Ship captains were ordered to disseminate hemp seed widely to provide fibre wherever repairs might be needed in distant lands. Hemp seed was supplied to the First Fleet in Australia, and free seed was given to settlers to encourage cultivation. ⁣

Throughout history and across the world, hemp was grown extensively to provide materials for the naval fleets. Hemp played a crucial role in exploration and expansion, ( Hence my choice of rigging )

Hemp was the second most used material in shipbuilding after wood​

Hemp's high resistance to degradation from salt water and sunlight, and its natural UV protection makes hemp clothing perfect for the sun and sea. This high resistance to rotting and superior strength led to hemp's premier use in marine fittings throughout history. ⁣

In the 16th to 18th centuries, while intercontinental trade was booming, the fleets at the time were powered by the force of the wind. During this period (and up until the early 1900s), hemp was used to make the majority of all shipping sails, ropes, rigging, ladders, shrouds and nets. Hemp fibre was also mixed with tar and used to fill the seams between the planks of a wooden hull in order to make ships watertight (called 'caulking'). Sailors’ clothes were often made of hemp, lamps used hemp oil, crew ate protein-rich hemp seeds and captains kept the ship’s log on hemp paper. ⁣

Hemp was the second most used material in shipbuilding after wood. Sailing ships were dependent on canvas (the word 'canvas' is derived from 'cannabis') – a medium-sized vessel used 5 to 8 tonnes of hemp in the form of sails and 55 to 75 tonnes of hemp as ropes per year. ⁣

The hunger for the commodity was great. In 16th Century UK, Henry VIII passed an act compelling all landowners to sow 1/4 of an acre, or be fined. Ship captains were ordered to disseminate hemp seed widely to provide fibre wherever repairs might be needed in distant lands. Hemp seed was supplied to the First Fleet in Australia, and free seed was given to settlers to encourage cultivation. ⁣

Throughout history and across the world, hemp was grown extensively to provide materials for the naval fleets. Hemp played a crucial role in exploration and expansion, ( Hence my choice of rigging )
Good afternoon Robert. Caught up with your log-very nice! Quite a change from the Cutty Sark. It is interesting re the hemp. The Victory also used a large amount of hemp(well the 1800 era)- not so much in Portsmouth. Cheers Grant

Hello Robert,
My 'Lady Nelson' welcomes her lovely sister down under!
Regards,
Jan

View attachment 310230
Her great Aussie sister greats you! A lovely little ship and it has never been built as such , we can put our own things in her we like , at the moment preoccupied with the rigging , not a hell of a lot since my last built ‘Cutty Sark’, take care

Before I add the ratlines I will finish the rigging and other details , it is not a difficult ship to build and certainly a good start for a ‘novice’ builder , the problem is my eye sight , I need plenty of light and that’s in the morning here , working with 3mm blocks and 1/4 mm thread is a challenge as always , the yards will go up soon too , only 3 ! So hopefully my build will give inspiration to others contemplating a project like this .

EC824C46-4C51-4ACE-AE2B-210920697D56.jpeg

A9081D04-9AEB-4A45-8AFB-B4092FF65E25.jpeg

171144D0-9273-47D3-9EE6-B3CA4C4FA046.jpeg

Before I add the ratlines I will finish the rigging and other details , it is not a difficult ship to build and certainly a good start for a ‘novice’ builder , the problem is my eye sight , I need plenty of light and that’s in the morning here , working with 3mm blocks and 1/4 mm thread is a challenge as always , the yards will go up soon too , only 3 ! So hopefully my build will give inspiration to others contemplating a project like this .

View attachment 310636

View attachment 310637

View attachment 310638
Good morning Robert. She looks lovely. I wish (hindsight the perfect science) I was wise and chose a ship like this for my first build. It has everything and is a beautiful little ship. You are making her beautifully. Cheers Grant

Hi Robert, I've just caught up with your Lady Nelson build now. You certainly waste no time and are putting together a great little model. I am very pleased that I'll be on board for tips and tricks when you get going with your HMS Fly Thumbsup

Back