HMAV BOUNTY - A “face lift “

Good morning.

Just a show and tell of before, during and after pics of my project to renovate :cool: His Majesty’s Armed Vessel Bounty.

I have a challenge from my son to do this at a near as possible zero cost.

1: PRE FACE LIFT
View attachment 450513View attachment 450514View attachment 450515View attachment 450516View attachment 450517View attachment 450518View attachment 450519View attachment 450520View attachment 450521
2: “Shredded
View attachment 450523
3: Hull :
I got some walnut and Sapele veneer off cuts for no cost- I had to sort through the scrapsROTF.
- Before :
I cut out the stern to create the counters for the transom.
View attachment 450524
View attachment 450535
View attachment 450525
There were many symmetry issues :View attachment 450526View attachment 450528View attachment 450529

Planking : I cut these veneer off cuts to 5mm and not longer than 150mm.
View attachment 450541
PROGRESS SO FAR:
The stem, sternpost and false keel. I had to paint these black as I could not remove the orange varnish to stain these.
View attachment 450556View attachment 450558

Cheers Grant

View attachment 450536

View attachment 450537

View attachment 450538

View attachment 450539

View attachment 450540
Completely missed this one until now. The no-budget agreement is very intriguing; I'm anxious to learn how you will be going about with the blocks, ropes and sails, to mention a few.
Daring approach!

Last edited:
Completely missed this one until now. The no-budget agreement is very intriguing; I'm anxious to learn how you will be going about with the blocks, ropes and sails, to mention a few.
Daring approach!
Good morning Johan. Thanks for checking out this project. Hmmmm, sometimes making a bet over a whiskey at a braai is not always the wisest thing to doROTF. When I started this my objective was just to meet this challenge. I never thought she would come out a reasonable rebuild and as I progressed more and more detail and accuracy crept into her. I know I’m going to fail with this challenge at some point. I have plenty rope from previous builds and all the kit blocks from the Victory and Xebec so One never knows. How accurate to scale my rigging will be is another story. NO SAILS!!!ROTF. It is so much fun figuring out how I am going to make the parts and attempting to get them to plan. My scratch skills and scale are,so far, my two biggest downfalls. For some metal parts, hooks, belay pins, bell, decorations I am trying to design on Fusion to be 3D printed but my knowledge here is also a rookie. I just wonder how many failed prints I am going to get. Anyway I am having a total blast. Cheers Grant

Back