HMS Agamemnon by Caldercraft

Hi Greg good to see another Caldercraft kit started and a very nice looking ship. These kits are very well made with good quality parts. I picked up a Victory on eBay with a 60% complete hull. If you want to see some of the things that can go wrong with a build have a look at my log.
Have fun with your build I'll like to follow your progress.
Tony
Thanks Tony , although a challenge I am looking forward to the build. I have ordered the Caldercraft HMS Victory and you could say this build is the warm up ;) I shall certainly look at your log.

Didn't expect a problem quite this early but the ribs don't go remotely close to fitting into to the backbone of the ship (sorry have no idea of the proper names)
The slots are nowhere near straight , average width of the slot is 3.86mm compare to the width of the ribs which is 5.25mm.
Fixable but this is going to take me quite some time to correct.20230113_165917.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I have seen the same things said about Caldercraft kits. Maybe I just got unlucky. I have fixed and fitted 4 ribs so far , will take a bit longer but I'm confident I will get it right eventually. I an checking each is square after I place it and checking placement by dry fitting the lower deck. So far so good.
I'm surprised to see to see the errors most reviews say how well the parts go together. It's well worth spending the time getting this stage right, incorrectly placed bulkheads caused lots of problems on my Victory.

This is a very disappointing to read this from Caldercraft/Jotika. I was actually looking at their Mary Rose for some time, but scratch that idea now.

This is a very disappointing to read this from Caldercraft/Jotika. I was actually looking at their Mary Rose for some time, but scratch that idea now.
I think I just got unlucky , vast majority of Caldercraft builds I have seen have been very positive on the fit of parts.

I think I just got unlucky , vast majority of Caldercraft builds I have seen have been very positive on the fit of parts.
That is what I thought too. I can understand it if there is a missing part in a kit box or something to effect, but CC has been so making these kits for such a long time that something as basic as bulkhead to keel fitting is inexcusable. Having to make small adjustments is fine, but where the discrepancy is so big that it becomes visual, questions need to be asked. That is what QC is there for - clearly in this instance, it wasn't.

Well here I go , I've been lurking in the corridors quietly watching other members build logs which showcase the amazing skill you all have.
I have built one ship before and that is the Santisima Trinidad from Occre.
I recently bought the Caldercraft kit of the HMS Agamemnon and its a whole different ballgame to the Occre kit.
I have been studying the instructions and numerous plans that come with the kit and to be truthful I am little overwhelmed and wondering what I have got myself into as the instructions appear a little more vague than the Occre ones.
So to push myself a little I've decided to create a build log so people can point out where I'm going right or wrong.
I'm just about to start cutting the frames out. This build will be a long process as I am pretty slow and check everything a dozen times before I actually do anything
So we shall all see how I go View attachment 350639
I have this kit in my stash also.

Hi Greg,

Quite a contingent of Southern Hemisphere Caldercraft builders at the moment. The Agamemnon by you Greg, Victory by Tony and Grant in South Africa. I will be soon starting my Caldercraft Victory too - Just psychologically working up to it. These ships are a multi-year project, so some mental and physical preparation is required. I am just getting off the back of the Vasa, and it has left me a bit subdued until I build the passion to get going again!!

Where are you in Oz Greg? It would be good to touch base.

Good luck with your build and I look forward to your log.

Regards

PeterG

Hi Greg,

Quite a contingent of Southern Hemisphere Caldercraft builders at the moment. The Agamemnon by you Greg, Victory by Tony and Grant in South Africa. I will be soon starting my Caldercraft Victory too - Just psychologically working up to it. These ships are a multi-year project, so some mental and physical preparation is required. I am just getting off the back of the Vasa, and it has left me a bit subdued until I build the passion to get going again!!

Where are you in Oz Greg? It would be good to touch base.

Good luck with your build and I look forward to your log.

Regards

PeterG
Thanks Peter, This will definitely be a multi year project as this is only my second build and I tend to move slowly to try and avoid mistakes.
I have the CC HMS Victory on order so this is my practice for that project.
I live in Adelaide and know no one here, who has model ship building as an interest. I see your from NSW , I was born there and live in Auburn till I was about 12.
I glad to know that you will be following the log. :)

thanks, That is amazing work Luiz , simply beautiful. I hope I can produce a ship half as good as that.
Hi greg, your are working on one of the best kits in quality available, Caldercraft. I recommend that you pay attention to the construction of every details. The sum of the details will give the final quality of your work. I'm at your disposal to help with whatever you need. Good luck , enjoy !

Hi greg, your are working on one of the best kits in quality available, Caldercraft. I recommend that you pay attention to the construction of every details. The sum of the details will give the final quality of your work. I'm at your disposal to help with whatever you need. Good luck , enjoy !
Thanks very much , I appreciate it

Didn't expect a problem quite this early but the ribs don't go remotely close to fitting into to the backbone of the ship (sorry have no idea of the proper names)
The slots are nowhere near straight , average width of the slot is 3.86mm compare to the width of the ribs which is 5.25mm.
Fixable but this is going to take me quite some time to correct.View attachment 350930
I had something like this happen to me when I built the Corel Mirage. Turned out it was the bulkhead number was assigned to the wrong slot. But then again, what do I know...

I had something like this happen to me when I built the Corel Mirage. Turned out it was the bulkhead number was assigned to the wrong slot
With this kit every slot except one has been under 4mm and the bulkheads are 5mm so I have had to open them up that bit more. You can actually see that they have been cut incorrectly by eye. Frustrating but I've nearly fixed them all

Back