Trident Model - New Kit HMS Alert 1777 1:48 Plank on frame by Trident Models

Many thanks! Very good rendering an overview of the entire ship! if you don't mind, I didn't see the funnel from Iron firehearth and stove, I believe you show us the parts in the previous posts.

Sensational work on this kit Trident model. You have about 10 members interested in purchasing this model.
The 3D-sketches are very good and are showing the quality of preparation.
Brian, I guess, that at the end there will be more members interested, I am pretty sure, that there are several (until now) silent members, who will make later on a decision.
Good work, Good Quality, reasonable correct price - it is looking like a Win-Win situation with this kit

Looks great. Have two questions:
Will the kit have any way to simulate the painted decoration on the original ship?
The Godwinson book does not show a binnacle on HMS Alert. But, there must have been one, right?

JIM, is it you who becomes the moderator of this group building?
Nope, Knut. We do not have a moderator for this building group as we don't have a subject to build, yet. We have a group of 15 + enthusiasts willing ( some of us badly :) ) to acquire Alert kit. Do you have any questions?

Jim, is this ship the sister ship to Rattlesnake, the book you've been talking about, can I use it as a reference for Rattlesnake?

Jim, is this ship the sister ship to Rattlesnake, the book you've been talking about, can I use it as a reference for Rattlesnake?
Hi Knut. I don't want to mislead you, but I have not found any references for the Rattlesnake 1777 other than the sheer, profile, and Half-breadth plan draughts taken from her (page 46-47) in Goodwin's book. But I have not studied\red it thoroughly.

To give an additional info about Rattlesnake and Alert.

Taken from Threedecks:

Unbenannt1.JPG

Unbenannt.JPG

Bothe ships were built based on the same drawings by John Williams (these I showed already somewhere else, but I will show the link once more

The Rattlesnake was built in Kent, the Alert in Dover, so from different shipyards - due to this, there are slightly differences in the final dimensions (see table).
Nevertheless they were the same class (Alert-class) and very similar.
They had, which I did not know until now, two further sisterships, the HMS Pigmy, launched in 1781 and the HMS Cockatrice, launched also in 1781.
Unfortunately no drawings of these vessels are mentioned on the page of the NMM.

When you search for a specific ship, you have to know the year of launching.
F.e. when you take a look for the HMS Rattlesnake (without year), you find on wikipedia this

Unbenannt2.JPG

So 10 different Rattlesnake, "ours" is the 1777 version.

If you search for the Rattlesnake in Threedecks, you find one more, but keep care, several are US American vessels. You have to know, that Threedecks have ships listed only until ca. middle of the 19th century, therefore the difference

Unbenannt3.JPG

If you search after the possible ships of the HMS Alert, you find much more different vessels, launched in different years:

Unbenannt4.JPG

On threedecks you can find 35 ships with the name Alert, sailed in different Navies - also here a speciality of threedecks -when a ship was captured or purchased by another navy, and commissioned in the new navy, the same ship is listed new with the new name under the new nationality. With this system, the same ship can be in the list twice, or even several times, but every time for a different time period.

Unbenannt5.JPG
Unbenannt6.JPG

Hope that this info was helping and not confusing more....... Alert and Rattlesnake both launched in 1777 are the ships from the same class and very very similar

Back