HMS Alert by Jolley Roger

Quick question.

As I am just behind you

The M1 template for frames 5-13 have an extra cutout on the ribs, yet the CNC did not. Can we assume this is for the cabins and is not there normally, hence it not being in the CNC?

I see you just marked it on the Ribs also. It just seems strange as its an additional laser cut on the mdf.

Hi Paul,

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to these cutouts (no8)IMG_20200916_155819.jpg
From what I can understand, they have a similar function to the stickers that helped to shape AL1-3.
You use both cutouts like a stencil on one rib, placed on opposite sides, mark with a pencil and do the same with the other rib, but a mirror image, then file/sand to shape.
IMG_20200916_154533.jpg

Hi Paul,

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to these cutouts (no8)View attachment 179400
From what I can understand, they have a similar function to the stickers that helped to shape AL1-3.
You use both cutouts like a stencil on one rib, placed on opposite sides, mark with a pencil and do the same with the other rib, but a mirror image, then file/sand to shape.
View attachment 179401
I found this on the Chinese site- I hope it helps to explain how this templates work:
The 5th post down.

Well, seems i'm a sucker for punishment, i've decided to add bolts to my frames, only a couple of thousand holes to be drilled...

I just couldn't resist taking this pic, progress is slow but steady. Still lots of work to do here, but things are taking shape nicely.
They look good.
Are you using wire to simulate the bolts?
Are you drilling and installing bolts when the frames are in the jig or before?

They look good.
Are you using wire to simulate the bolts?
Are you drilling and installing bolts when the frames are in the jig or before?
John, good question. I'm still working on my technique (any advice is welcome). At the moment i'm drilling the holes and inserting the bolts before the frames goes in the jig(the photo above is only dry fitted)
I'm also considering drilling the holes before assembling the frames, will test this idea on the next one.

I would do the "bolting" before installation inside the jig - like the original shipwrights also
I am pretty sure, that you can do it much more precise outside !
@Uwek: I agree, but would you think enough to drril the holes outside or would you also insert the chuck bolts before the final beveling / fairing? If so, I guess it would be impossible to have bolt heads on the top of the timber? (and also impossible to keep blackening in case of brass bolts)

@Uwek: I agree, but would you think enough to drril the holes outside or would you also insert the chuck bolts before the final beveling / fairing? If so, I guess it would be impossible to have bolt heads on the top of the timber? (and also impossible to keep blackening in case of brass bolts)
Ok - the blackening is a problem - I am usually not blacken the brass nails, so I can sand easily over them

Back