HMS Alert by Jolley Roger

By hook or by crook it's all in!
Keelson, strakes etc fitted. As per the manual best to soak in water for a while, much easier to bend.
IMG_20201118_075738_resized_20201118_093548320.jpg

Also assembled the ship's stove for a change in scenery. Fun little project!
Still have to give it another coat or two of paint
Bricks were painted with Burnt Sienna gouache paint, mixed here and there with a bit of Crimson for variation.

IMG_20200828_085915.jpgIMG_20201118_075908_resized_20201118_093729382.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!! Great accomplishment and another milestone in the money pot! Thumbsup looks very neat and clean. BTW, the bricks look so realistic, I want immediately made mine the same. Please post some pictures of the paint you have used and the recipe mixture! 'Mixed here and there' will not gonna work for Jim :D

Wow!!! Great accomplishment and another milestone in the money pot! Thumbsup looks very neat and clean. BTW, the bricks look so realistic, I want immediately made mine the same. Please post some pictures of the paint you have used and the recipe mixture! 'Mixed here and there' will not gonna work for Jim :D
Thanks Jimsky. There is probably many ways to achieve the same result, I just used what I had in hand.

First of the paint: Reeves Gouache paint, I think this is just about available anywhere in the world(I nicked mine from the Admirals supply store, sssh!) IMG_20201119_072015.jpg
Second: Tamiya Mud colored weathering stick(basically mud colored lipstick :)) - not sure this is even necessary, but seemed like a good idea at the time.
IMG_20201119_072126.jpg
The process: very simple, no funny tricks
I smeared the mud stick on to each individual brick and allowed it to dry for a couple of hours. This is probably not necessary, but my thought process at the time was : mud brick = mud lipstick
I then applied the Burnt Sienna with a small brush, straight out of the tube - the area to paint is so small, i didn't bother to use a pallet. While the Burnt Sienna was still wet, i mixed in a minute amount of Crimson onto odd bricks to get a bit of variation.
That's it, as simple as can be.
Sorry Jimsky , no special formula was used in creating these bricks, it really was a here and there affair! :D IMG_20201119_072212.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Jollye Roger! You've got yet another proof of the deck beams fittings. All of you guys confirmed that beams fit perfectly! For the rest of us Alert builders, we have peace of mind on that part.
...and definitely do cabins, just for a fun!! You will add doors, nails perhaps??? Imagine you are abord your model... my hands itchy to start those cabins but required frames assembly first :cool:

And she's out!
Not without a couple of hiccups here and there.
The Chief of Naval Staff(aka father in law) came for a shipyard inspection while i was drilling holes for the bolts.
How many drill bits have you broken, he asks? None so far, i say. Plink...there goes the first one! Managed to break 3 in the next 24 hours.
Now it will be sand, sand , sand, repeat.
IMG_20210115_105856 (2).jpg
IMG_20210115_105934 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back