HMS Druid 1776 (x 2) by Unicorn Model, 1/128 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Fine work on the planking - looking good
also the kit is looking good - really an interesting small(er) project in between

Moving on to the mid section: the hull was sanded and faired inside and out.
On this section the frames are securely glued to the build jig so there is no need to initiate the external planking to stabilise the section as is required in the stern section.
So the decks will need to be constructed.
Starting with B deck (A deck being the lowest deck) All the pieces are located ready to install into the BM4 jig.
The cambered deck beams will go into the jig first followed by the carlings (H18)
Lodging knees are perfectly aligned in their jig/template (B05) that just snaps off after being glued in place.
Dack B.jpg

Beams and Carlings glued using the jig to align.
20210129_213321.jpg

Lodging knees glued and clamped in place.
20210129_215324.jpg

The lodging knees template is snapped/cut away.
At the top of the photo deck planking is waiting to be glued into place.
20210130_145707.jpg

I wasn't too happy that the lodging knees were to be hidden under the deck planking so I decided to cut away the last 3.5 planks.
20210131_205923.jpg

I looked ahead to see if this affects the rest of the build- it didn't look like it did so here is the deck planks in place with the discarded deck planks at the top.
Deck 2.jpg

Each deck has a height alignment template.
Here Deck B's alignment template is used to locate the deck in the correct place, but not glued.
The underside of the deck (Topside deck beam edges in this photo) is used to glue in the first internal hull planks (red arrows) that will eventually support the deck. A total of 4 planks each side is required here.
(The number "19" on the template is the frame number the template needs to align with)
Inner planking.jpg

Deck A is a single piece but it needs to have very thin deck reinforcements (red arrows) glued to the underside of each beam to create the deck camber.
Deck A.jpg

Deck A height alignment template in place. The blue circles are the planks from a prior step.
Deck a  planks.jpg

Deck A glued into place- you can see the beam reinforcement on top of the main beams.
20210208_213002.jpg

Deck C is next. It is basically the same technique as deck B with its own jig.
20210208_214200.jpg

...it has a few more parts than deck B, including this part (red arrow) that is very fragile and broke.
Deck C.jpg

I also began building the ladders.
Here are all the ladder parts before being removed. Blue arrows show some of the ladder steps put into place to see how much clean up is required. They fit in their slots nicely.
ladders.jpg

All the parts of the ladders are cleaned and ready for assembly.
20210211_214217.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed.
I'm in Queensland for the next few days (summer downunder) then I'll get back into the kits.
Judging by your speed with the Alert kit you will probably be finished before I can get back to the work bench :)

Today I began the Unicorn Model's miniature kits of the HMS Druid cross sections.
The first is the stern cross section and the second kit is the middle cross section. The stern cross section came out about a year before the middle cross section.
I have had both for a few months now and always planned to build them simultaneously so that the final look is similar as I plan to display them in line in the same display case. Off course the final look will also be dependent on the wood supplied in each kit and since they were manufactured at least a year apart I'm not holding my breath on getting an identical finish for both. The kit states that the wood is pear.
So now to the photos:
Here are both kits- One opened already, the other one in it's plastic shrink wrapping between two plywood boards.
View attachment 202024
By the way to get an idea of scale my dirty cutting board has 1" squares in the middle for those not using metric.

A closer look at the stern section label
View attachment 202026

...and the mid section packaging

View attachment 202027

Instructions for both are on four A4 sheets of paper, printed single sided, all easy to follow photos but only in Chinese.
Having a camera translator App on your phone like Google Translate makes easy work of reading these instructions.

View attachment 202028View attachment 202029

The Kit's contents
First the stern Section:
The kit's building jig/berth are the light coloured plywood pieces in the top left of the photo.
View attachment 202030

The contents of the Mid Section kit:

View attachment 202031

Some close up details:

View attachment 202032

Some parts like A01, A02 and A03 are less than 1 mm wide and quite long with disproportionately large tabs to keep them attached so I am fairly hesitant in cutting these pieces away from the boards. At least the grain is going in the right direction to cut them away but we'll see- any tips by anyone having done anything similar with delicate pieces is definitely welcomed.

View attachment 202033

This is just a preview of the first parts of the building jig/berth being sanded and prepared for glueing.

View attachment 202034
Hallo @JohnA
we all wish you the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Little thing I noticed on my Druid cross section about H17 planks between decks is that if you flip them face then face over as they are laid the slight angle of the laser cut will mesh and the planks will be closer together with the char showing as if there was pitch between them. I admit hardly noticeable in this scale.

Today I began the Unicorn Model's miniature kits of the HMS Druid cross sections.
The first is the stern cross section and the second kit is the middle cross section. The stern cross section came out about a year before the middle cross section.
I have had both for a few months now and always planned to build them simultaneously so that the final look is similar as I plan to display them in line in the same display case. Off course the final look will also be dependent on the wood supplied in each kit and since they were manufactured at least a year apart I'm not holding my breath on getting an identical finish for both. The kit states that the wood is pear.
So now to the photos:
Here are both kits- One opened already, the other one in it's plastic shrink wrapping between two plywood boards.

By the way to get an idea of scale my dirty cutting board has 1" squares in the middle for those not using metric.

A closer look at the stern section label

...and the mid section packaging

Instructions for both are on four A4 sheets of paper, printed single sided, all easy to follow photos but only in Chinese.
Having a camera translator App on your phone like Google Translate makes easy work of reading these instructions.

The Kit's contents
First the stern Section:
The kit's building jig/berth are the light coloured plywood pieces in the top left of the photo.

The contents of the Mid Section kit:

Some close up details:

Some parts like A01, A02 and A03 are less than 1 mm wide and quite long with disproportionately large tabs to keep them attached so I am fairly hesitant in cutting these pieces away from the boards. At least the grain is going in the right direction to cut them away but we'll see- any tips by anyone having done anything similar with delicate pieces is definitely welcomed.

This is just a preview of the first parts of the building jig/berth being sanded and prepared for glueing.
Dear @JohnA
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Dear John
you can be proud of yourself, wonderful work and beautiful model Okay :)

WOW - this is a great presentation - I LOVE IT
Congratulations for finishing this remarkable model

Maybe it would be possible to make some closer shots / photos to see the details of the yard better? Please

Back