HMS Fly - Amati 1:64 - by Daniel20 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I finally received my HMS Fly yesterday and after much review am excited to share this build log with everyone.
These first 4 photos represent punch out, dry fit, sanding in various locations to get a comfortable fit, and finally
glue up. Had it not been for information from this group as well as some other videos, I would still be stumped.

One thing I did do was the complete as shown dry fit then just glued all the bulkheads and bottom deck to the keel with a
slightly watered down wood glue applied with a brush.IMG_0387.jpgIMG_0392.jpgIMG_0393.jpgIMG_0394.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the glue up of the prow, forward keel, aft keel, and rudder post. I'm not completely sure these go on at this time but it seems logical as my next step is to start sanding in prep for planking. Notice the prow key way is tight but just to its left is a small gap. I will use wood putty then sand it out.IMG_0396.JPEGIMG_0397_Moment.jpgIMG_0398_Moment.jpgIMG_0399.JPEG

I've just finished planking the gun deck fore and aft and I'm not really happy with it. This view is just a dry fit for now. I think I accidentally achieved a weathered look but I desire more of a pristine look. These decks will be covered by the upper decks so I shall try a little cleaner approach to them.IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0408.jpeg I need to visit some more planking videos. I stacked a group of planks on end and burnished them with artist black pastel chalk. Once you let go of em the chalk dust goes everywhere. I figured I could sand most of it out after glue down and this is the result.

I've just finished planking the gun deck fore and aft and I'm not really happy with it. This view is just a dry fit for now. I think I accidentally achieved a weathered look but I desire more of a pristine look. These decks will be covered by the upper decks so I shall try a little cleaner approach to them.View attachment 172085
View attachment 172086 I need to visit some more planking videos. I stacked a group of planks on end and burnished them with artist black pastel chalk. Once you let go of em the chalk dust goes everywhere. I figured I could sand most of it out after glue down and this is the result.
you are getting an impressive results & progress Thumbsup

Hi Daniel, there are a lot of very good fly builds in the build logs. They where invaluable helping me along. I'm no expert by a long way. Just a plod along modeller. I have attached a couple of pics of my complete Fly IMG_20200705_203329 (1).jpgIMG_20200705_203329 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_203351 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200705_203351 (1).jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 54
Back