HMS GRANADO 1:48 scale PoF CAF Model by Keith

Yes Keef, I need to by Kit N° 1 but I don't find where??
Not to be so long slightly of topic on the interesting building log
This kit is devided in 3 parts and you can order it directly from @CAFmodel who btw is also a member here in our forum

Screenshot 2024-02-04 095759.png Screenshot 2024-02-04 095833.png

Here is the web-page

and before I forget it -< Very good work on the stern cant frames and structure - Bravo !!

Hi everybody. It's back to the bow section of this model and work on the hawse pieces. CAF Models supply a jig for both P & S sides to make this complicated part of the build as easy for the builder and as accurate as possible which really is a great help. The parts for each side have to first be made up, 2 parts per frame member, then they are sanded to fair the frames to the shape of the bow section using the laser etched lines on both sides of the sheets containing the parts. On my kit the reverse side of a lot of the laser cut sheets do tend to have quite bad burning that needs a lot of sanding to get rid of and make following some of the etched lines fairly difficult to follow as they are partly obscured by the charring. Each frame is then placed into the jig using spacers to separate them until the 6 elements form the correct curve and width of the hawse pieces to fit into place between the head of the keel and rib No. 1. After taking the completed section out of the jig l had to do a trial fit and, wow, with a bit of adjustment it will fit very nicely. l just hope the port side is as successful. A tribute to the design of this great kit

DSC07630.JPG

DSC07633.JPG

DSC07635.JPG

DSC07636.JPG

DSC07638.JPG

DSC07639.JPG

DSC07641.JPG

DSC07643.JPG

DSC07645.JPG

DSC07647.JPG

Now that's what one would like to see from a kit. If the builder does his part (as in your case), then fitment should never be an issue (kit manufacturer's part).

Pas de problème Keef ! J’espère qu’il me sera expédié avant le nouvel an Chinois. Sinon, je risque d’attendre longtemps.

No problem Keef! I hope it will be shipped to me before Chinese New Year. Otherwise, I might wait a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your support and interest in this project and for your comments and likes, they are very much appreciated. The hawse pieces have been completed, both sides and after a little fiddling and tweeking they fit into place very well. The cant frames could then be cleaned and fine tuned and the whole assembly was permanently into place against the keel. This completes the bow and stern sections and now they have to be joined by the rest of the frames that lay square to the keel, making up the hull. So a long way to go but already the beautiful curves are beginning to show themselves

DSC07648.JPG

DSC07651.JPG

DSC07652.JPG

DSC07654.JPG

DSC07656.JPG

DSC07658.JPG

DSC07659.JPG

DSC07661.JPG

DSC07662.JPG

DSC07671.JPG

DSC07673.JPG

DSC07674.JPG

DSC07675.JPG

That is a challenging part of any POF build, done and dusted, so to speak. You must be well pleased with the outcome - now it's a case of connecting the two ends, but as you have said" the beautiful lines are already starting to show". Well done, my friend.

That is a challenging part of any POF build, done and dusted, so to speak. You must be well pleased with the outcome - now it's a case of connecting the two ends, but as you have said" the beautiful lines are already starting to show". Well done, my friend.
Thank you very much for those kind words Hienrich. Yes l am pleased to get this part of the build under my belt. l am now looking into how l shall tackle the next part. l have encountered an issue with the numbering of 3 of the parts of rib 27, a triple rib, where l was intending to start as it is exactly mid ships. At this stage l don't know how serious it is. l am trying to sort it myself but will get in touch with Tom for his help if l can't.

Back