HMS Grimsby-Constructo 1:65

I joined here late, I have the Hull done but there’s still alot to go. I moved 4 years ago, and I haven’t got back into the ship since. It was started in 1990, lol.
I used to work at a large Display Shop. There a guy that did our plexi work, made the case for me. I made up the base. We had a display once that used Sappele wood, I got a lot of scraps. Since some parts didn’t work out, I would cut new. I thought I had the main mast done but it’s missing some PCs. I need some supplies but now is prob a bad time, I imagine the places are closed, anyway, I got the build table set back up, and I’m here. Heres a few pics till I actually get building again. Plan is tobuild the last 2 masts, rig cannons in the decks, 6 you see, then do the rat lines wich scare me, lol. I’m not sure how to begin. I do have the plastic jig from Model Expo. I wonder if they are still in Buss.
after some research, It seems the ship never existed, I like the hull design, I found a few pics in a book I bought, ill post them.
I guess it’s a Cat design, Bark? Collier. Carried coal. Any info please post.F4D725FC-A037-4A99-A50F-3A10827357B4.jpeg79FC582F-E183-4355-9BB1-44BA3F1C9D40.jpeg5157605B-F7E2-40EA-B6E2-46EF473B173B.jpegE4FEB0EE-302E-46F6-9C9F-80BC89284B45.jpeg4D6763A1-D5F3-4E81-9C27-68E4BD3A39E9.jpegF8C9E025-7B7F-44B5-8545-292251E30373.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh ok, some fourms frown on full size.
its been so,long so I took a few hours to go over the wood left, I’m so glad I zip locked the masts in bags, nothing was lost.
there used to be a old shop, AJ Fisher by me, I not sure they are still around, I bought some brass parts from them, the rail on the deck was all rolled up in the kit, totally un-useable. my parrot sleeps in my den, so now there’s no night working on it. Lol.
I also had my mom sew the sails years ago, since then she passed away. Just makes this kit more special now.image.jpg

Last edited:
I have started 5-6 kits now. None are totally complete but two are rigged with standing rigging. Then I dropped out for about ten years after the work group that I would sit in with got moved when local hobby store closed. I lost contact with the group and my time got taken over by other hobbies.

After getting cataract surgery earlier this year I can now see plans and photos clear enough to get back in the game.

Don’t give up just keep plugging away and learn from those here to help

Last night I went digging around on line, I found my ship that was painted, wow, I just love the Sapele, but the paint gives it a cool look. And theres a few differences , like it doesn’t have the curved staircases to the upper deck,just ladders 7D1EF52F-6C2B-4F30-A257-8DBA9C02C4E9.pngE8A4CB13-7ECB-49CA-A8FE-81CC5C6CF158.png

Last edited:
G'day Sea Burd, Grimsby is a port in England, that is probably where the HMS Grimsby name comes from, and I believe that the ship you are building is the HMB Endeavour, she started life as a Collier, a Bark, the Admiralty bought her and converted her for an expedition to the South Sea's under the command of Captain James Cook, and as they say the rest is history , I believe her name as a Collier was The Earl of Pembroke, hope this helps you,

PS after viewing the photo's I can see it is not the HMB Endeavour, Endeavour's quarter deck was just a step up deck, this ship has a raised quarter deck, sorry for the confusion,

Best regards John,

Last edited:
Thanks, Wow. I never noticed how close it was To the Grimby. When I first got the Kit, I wrote a few places in England, there is no record of a ship name grimsby like this one, there was a mine trawler in WW2.
it looks like these a Endeaveaur Replica there is Aus, man I’d like to walk on the decks.
i have been on the Constitution in Boston 3-4 times. It never gets old going on One of these old ships.

Last edited:
Where can I get some sapelly, I doubt Model Expo will send me some with the warranty thing they have, it’s been a long time, I need some 1 mm x 2 mm X like 600.

Last edited:
Here I thought I’d get a lot done to the ship, I cant find any glue. I’ve been playing phone tag with Model Expo. Lol
I don’t even know what I can do without glue. I guess I’ll have to settle for getting the new ship building room all set up.
i can paint the anchors hmm.

Plan is to build the last 2 masts, rig cannons in the decks, 6 you see, then do the ratlines wich scare me, lol. I’m not sure how to begin.
Is this your first build, Sea Burd? I'm on my first and found the ratlines to be much more doable than I had imagined. Mine is a small two-masted schooner, so it wasn't an overwhelming number of shrouds to rattle down, but it's really not as bad as you might think. Those diagrams above are great! Just stick to those and you'll be fine.
Looking great so far, and you're approaching the finish line...
Cheers.

yes this in my first build. Did I screw up building the mast all the way up? How do I attach the Rat Lines now? I can’t drop them over the top of the mast

I painted the anchors black and glued the wood PCs together. they are ready to be rigged and put in the ship,
I need a few p s 1x2 mm. I have some 2x6 shapely left over. I think I can cut this on the table saw if I put a sheet of luan down to make the throat on the saw blade tight. Just rip a 1 mm pc off. That’s the plan.B520356C-AE46-44E6-A48E-758D661D9DB7.jpeg5C09252B-F915-4346-8B03-D84114E304EC.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been going through some other Constructo builds here and everyone seems to complain about the instructions. They must have gotten way better, I have 3 pages for instructions, and 2 pages showing parts inventory. The 3 pages have no pictures. Neither does the inventory. No wonder I struggled , this is my first wood model. First ship model of any material F3C77AE3-829E-4D4A-BCA1-E5CF800D9C7C.jpeg4284E62C-D821-4009-B2C7-0F44CA34FED2.jpegF6982A26-7AA8-483C-8C99-2D08DC2AF779.jpeg

I found some pics of my build at the start. The kit was in the magazine as a double plank kit, turned out it wasn’t. The sapelly radius at the bow was impossible to bend, so I called Model Expo, they gave me 2 new stacks of planking. From the gun ports up I kept the Sapelly, mahogany from there down. Maybe I should have tried harder on the shapely I don’t know. I didn’t like the base they sent with the ship so I made a new one from the Sapelly I grabbed from work. And I bought brass stands from AJ Fisher when they used to be by me. It was a pretty cool old shop. The Paint shop at work sprayed them so they wouldn’t tarnish. Anyway, here’s a few pics. Do tell me what I did wrong, it’s my first model.
the sign shop where I worked, silk screened a brass plate for in the case, Name and dimensions.6F74FCD3-FF0E-4BFD-93F1-9CBB411507BC.jpeg0749C9A2-91F2-4265-9B8A-6746862F830B.jpegFFC1E261-5BEC-421F-8A88-C5EBF09058E4.jpeg

Back