HMS Grimsby-Constructo 1:65

Hello Sea Burd,

Very old anchor's stocks where tight with the rope, lately they where using metal bands. You can easily imitate those bands with black paper, or if you want some challenges you make it out of thin brass strip and then blackened. One of the Russian modeler makes those bands out of lead as it really soft and easy to bend. The best choice is the one you choose.

the wood part on the Achors, the plans show nothing, on the box it looks like a black rope, or is it to be metal around,
where it says Band ?
View attachment 144178
Hi Seaburd,
Additionally to the methodes already mentioned by Jim you can also use black colored heat shrink, works excellent, simple and looks good.

This is a picture of a model, I assume, they are saying you can build from the kit. But it is inaccurate if not to say - wrong. At that period of time shipwrights didn't use chains to anchor the ships. Only rope (cable work). Around 1760 they already use metal (lead) bands. Lead doesn't get much corrosion from salted\freshwater. Hence, the metal was really expensive...

Thanks. You know, I can’t start worrying about correctness with this kit. Who knows what is rite. Lol

I was looking for Anchor details in this book, this is the worst book I’ve ever bought. every time you open it, it keeps falls apart more. It’s from the NRG. I think that’s that uppity forum that just banned me for password problems, well. They make a crappy book.
33 pages fell out
image.jpg

I broke an anchor years back, I never noticed the replacement had black paint or marker on the wood. but it isn’t on all sides. Maybe this is to look like the tar they would put on. EBA3D236-5569-4A23-A288-B9EFAE66FF5D.jpeg

I sat down to finish up the cannons, Im a little lost. The kit came with one thread in black, ok, for rat lines, anchors, but the tan rigging is in 2 sizes, no where in the kit tells what to use where. I had to roll on the spools, it was a mess when I got the kit. What’s the rule on the two sizes?image.jpg

Last edited:
I cut some 1x2 mm Sapelly today on a Table saw. I had some 2x6 mm left over. I think it was a 40 tooth, I should have taken a finer tooth blade in with me but I ended up w/ 3 good PCs. I taped a pc of luan down to the table and it worked out pretty good, thats 1mm between the fence and the blade, first I set up where the 1mm was on the
drop side, it was a bad cut so I then set up to cut 1 mm.
A4FD39A7-A97B-4F76-BA9B-B8548A82E2C3.jpegC8328697-256F-4547-8C0F-BF0B6BE2FAB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back