HMS Mercury, 1:72, Shipyard [COMPLETED BUILD]

And now this build report has really and truly reached its destination: HMS Mercury is "under the hood". (They say that in Germany when a woman is married.) But here it's true - the ship is in the showcase. It took me a long time to come up with a good idea of how to reach my destination. Today it finally happened. Look for yourself - Jack Aubrey looks pleased, too.
MV12.jpgMV13.jpgMV14.jpgMV15.jpgMV16.jpgMV17.jpgMV18.jpgMV19.jpg

This is a spectacular model, Bonden, you should be very proud! I’ve been watching your build for quite a while and this is the perfect ending. I don’t think I’ve seen a better way to display a sailing ship.

-George

This is a truly remarkable accomplishment and a great presentation of the model! Bravo, Mon Ami!! It takes modeling to a different level and brings you well build Mercury alive. I am happy to see the model completed as I was follow the build mostly from the beginning of the log. I want to mention that this model is made out of cardboard! Congrats and Hats off!!

And now this build report has really and truly reached its destination: HMS Mercury is "under the hood". (They say that in Germany when a woman is married.) But here it's true - the ship is in the showcase. It took me a long time to come up with a good idea of how to reach my destination. Today it finally happened. Look for yourself - Jack Aubrey looks pleased, too.
View attachment 291623View attachment 291624View attachment 291625View attachment 291626View attachment 291627View attachment 291628View attachment 291629View attachment 291630
Great idea and great job !!

Thanks for all the likes and nice comments. When you are very, very happy in Germany, they say: "I'm floating on cloud number 7." Well, I AM cloud number 7! :D

@WojtasS The coppering consists of self-adhesive copper foil, which I applied plate by plate.

@Uwek
I bought a 3mm thick PVC film. From the company Shipyard there is also a suitable port quay for the Mercury. I didn't buy that, but the nice guys from Shipyard kindly sent me the part of this kit that forms the bottom plate into which the Mercury is inserted. This gave me the exact outline of the wake. Now it was measured accurately and then the opening was cut in the foil.
The water consists of several layers. I used transparent window stains and formed the waves and the whitecaps from water gel.
To support the water surface, I bought many acrylic tubes, in different lengths. This is how the wave shape was created.
All sections of the walls that are "under water" I colored with the window stain; for this I took a sponge and dabbed the paint on with it.

So, as always, I hope that DeepL has now translated this so that you all know what I wanted to tell you.... ;)

In the last picture of this post, you can see that there is an empty space next to the display case. This is now changed! I managed to find the original rudder wheel (wink wink) of HMS Mercury and bring it into my possession.
And there it hangs now. And when Jack Aubrey commands again in THAT movie: Go to the helm, Bonden! I know where to go.
Of course, the wheel can also be turned.

R05.jpg

R06.jpg

R04.jpg

R03.jpg

Back