HMS Ontario 1780 Cross Section scale 1:32 1.0(Version 1)

Thanks Don,

Hi Jim, the lathe was used to reduce a small section of the barrow so the stops would be level with the outside diameter of the drum and to drill 3/16” holes in the ends of the barrow. The barrow is divided into three pieces at the vertical supports, two small dowels are used to join the ends to the main drum with the horizontal legs between them. I used bloodwood end caps to cover the ends of the dowels. The last photo shows the supports and end caps, I will get better photos tomorrow when the clamps are removed.

Hi Big Mike, yes, I used the Proxxon 4 jaw chuck on the windlass, it works fairly well but it is not self-centering and takes a while to center different square sizes. I have a new chuck on my wish list but they are currently out of my price range.

Hi Jim, I like this style of chuck Proxxon 24408 Self-Centering 4-Jaw Chuck for Precision Lathe System PD 400. I haven't found anything like it that will work on my lathe. I guess I need a better lathe also lol.
Mike

Mike41, thanks for a nice demonstration of how to use the lathe,
Yesterday I got the same lathe, same Chuckl in the mail.
Hope I haven't made a bad choice.
Post photos to new tools thread.

The Proxxon lathe is adequate for most of your modeling needs, It has a very small motor and plastic gears it will not last very long if you overload it. I have had mine for several years with any problems.
Mike

This is a few photos of the belfry as installed, it completes the windlass assembly. I had to assemble the parts dry to get the correct length of the brake, but it all turned out well.
IMG_2604.JPGIMG_2605.JPGIMG_2606.JPGIMG_2608.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2614.JPG

Thanks Jim, there is still some structural work to be done in central open area, supports for the boats and some stuff on the exterior. I will be making four boats so she is not quite finished, but I am getting closer.
Mike

Hi Zoltan,
Thanks, I would suggest using the same wood on the exterior that you are using on the full model. The interior will be a matter of personal preference, contrasting colors usually looks good.
Mike

Hi Zoltan,
Thanks, I would suggest using the same wood on the exterior that you are using on the full model. The interior will be a matter of personal preference, contrasting colors usually looks good.
Mike
Yes ,the exterior will be the same,interior not sure yet.

Would Great Lakes Roval Navy vessels have had the same ochre and black color scheme as the average ship of the line? My dilemma would be what to use for the ochre. Both boxwood and yellow heart can work, and look good. I’ve used both! Upper works could be Swiss pear or something exotic like purple heart to simulate a painted frieze.

Would Great Lakes Roval Navy vessels have had the same ochre and black color scheme as the average ship of the line? My dilemma would be what to use for the ochre. Both boxwood and yellow heart can work, and look good. I’ve used both! Upper works could be Swiss pear or something exotic like purple heart to simulate a painted frieze.

I will use for yellow ochre Alascan Yellow Chedar

Back