HMS Ontario 1780 Cross Section scale 1:32 1.0(Version 1)

Hi Don,
This is just the prototype being built from preliminary drawings that will have to be updated as changes are made to the model. I will generate a step by step set of instructions for the group build when the prototype is complete, if I documented everything on the prototype it would take longer to build and must be revised anyway. The photos will give you a general idea of what will be involved in the build.
Mike

Hi Don,
This is just the prototype being built from preliminary drawings that will have to be updated as changes are made to the model. I will generate a step by step set of instructions for the group build when the prototype is complete, if I documented everything on the prototype it would take longer to build and must be revised anyway. The photos will give you a general idea of what will be involved in the build.
Mike
A practicum is a good idea

Mike, now I have read through this log again, very inspiring, a few questions.
How tall, long and wide is this model ?, it looks pretty big !.
You say you use graphite to imitate bolts, is it a powder you mix with glue to get a proper thickness?
That's something I'm trying out for the frames of my Blandford.
I see you use different material on the main and lover deck, is there any particular reason for that?
Thank you-

Hi Knut,
The model is 12 inches high, 12 inches wide and 16 inches long. I use 14-gauge copper wire for bolts. The lower deck was planked with basswood, which is what I normally use, for the upper deck I used some clear white pine to see what it would look like. I like the look of pine better than basswood for deck planking and will continue using it on future models.

There is many different methods and materials to use to build a model, you will develop personal preferences as you gain experience modeling.

Mike

Hi Dave,
Did you follow the General Info and Proposals for Future Group Builds? It is a very interesting and informative posting of the expectations and requirements of a successful group build.

The framing used on the current prototype does not represent the English standards of the time period, so I have started over with a new prototype, using double and single frames. This build will take more time but will be a more accurate and attractive model to display.

I have created a new framing distribution plan and have drawn all the new frames and the keel assembly. It was recently brought to my attention by Zoltan that the opening on the upper deck as shown in the reference drawing, I was using is too large as verified by divers on the wreck. This will require reviewing the upper deck framing. The new prototype will not take as long to build as the first one but there will be a lot more parts with this one.

This is the drawings for the keel, upper deck framing, single and double frames, they will be more interesting to build.
Mike

106487106319Frame 9- 48_Page_1.pngFrame 16- 48_Page_1.png

Attachments

• Keel 48_Page_1.png
    Keel 48_Page_1.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back