HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

Video no longer available---Too bad because it was a neighbor of mine in 1776. Enjoyed your posting on it and maybe when I have some money I will buy it. Thanka a lot
I am scratch building the Ontario

Both the Ontario and the Royal George were built by the same master shipwright Jonathan Coleman. He was a trained shipwright and served in the Royal yards in England. Both ships seem to have the same style and I would think the same construction. Both were armed transports built for lake service, but it seems the design of the R.G. has a slightly more bend towards a fighting ship a little lower profile and a third mast. Sterns and body plans look very close. I have CAD drawings of both ships in my archives than can be used for plank on frame or plank on bulkhead models. I am more than willing to share whatever research material and drawings I have

I searched Royal George on the net and got a 100 gun ship of the line but no Little snow or whatever it was. Do you many more information on this boat for that time around 1778? If so I would appreciate it and a high def plan of the boat frames.

Hi Zoly,

Just checked my Wasa pictures and I have pictures from front, rear and middle.
Front is nearly square but the deck is also nearly flat.

Front
View attachment 50502

Middle is square, the deck is flat.
View attachment 50503

At the stern they are not square because the deck is having a higher angle. You can see that as the open hatches are tilting forward to the vessel and not straight like they were mounted level with the waterline.
View attachment 50504

The outside shape of the planking and whales is not following the deck line and there fore is not influencing the shape of the gun ports.

Last one is Batavia, also stern gun port hatches are not square.
View attachment 50505
Hope it helps.

Ontario is a very very interesting vessel. I love the proportions! It's almost like she was a "dwarf" frigate, very small overall size but with normally sized gun ports and other appointments. Makes for a very distinctive appearance. Good job on the model, Zoly!
Thank you Dave!

You guys need to watch the « Drain the ocean searies Season 3 ,part 6 or 7 they show the Ontario.

Back