HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

Thank you for the reply. For some reason, it didn't work on Charles Royal Yacht. It just simply didn't completely dry no matter what after 48 hours, weeks month. It might be a wood...Hoping you will not have a headache I had. Will reveal the mystery under the title ' A Tale for the whale' (soon) in my building log. LOL

Zoly try the Tru-oil by Birchwood Casey. I have used it on gun stocks since I can remember. I used it for the first time on the Black Pearl Build and it will now be my go to finish for ships. I have also always used poly on my ships but it never brought out the beauty of the wood like the tru-oil does it's a night and day difference brother.

The Tru-oil goes on smooth as silk can be rubbed on or brushed( I prefer to hand rub it on the surface) it dries super fast and it has it's own top coat built right in no need to apply a finish coat. If you brush it on heavy the finish is semi gloss hand rubbed its satin I use 000 or 0000 wool between coats. What I did on the pearl is brush coat it this left it semi glossed I rubbed that shine off with the wool and put a coat of poly satin over it and it looks so amazing the pictures I post dont do it justice brother. The reason I brushed it on the ship is because of the large area I had to apply it to. All the decks were hand rubbed on but the hull got brushed sanded to a dull finish and poly applied.

Though true oil is an oil you can use polycyclic right over it once its dry. I tested this on several wood parts and the results always came out the same

Not sure Jim,I never used oil yet just poly.
Zoly, you may be missing a lot...While finishing model it is a personal taste and preference, try using oil next time. I can double what Joe said in his post, however, every one of us, has its own preference in Oils for use. At least with Linseed oil, you cannot go wrong. Once tried, you will not believe in the results. Not glossy, nice matte and it deeper colour with every coat. It is great protective material against moist as well. The only caveat that it takes more than few days to completely dry.
Happy oiling!

Back