HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

Yes Zolly,shape a piece of scrap wood to sit on the deck and against the bulwark.Drill a hole through the block at the required angle.You can then drill from inside using the block as a drilling guide.This is all dependant on how much space/angle you have to get the drill in.You may have to use a pinvise.I certainly would try and go from the inside out as going the other way you are asking for misalignment in relation to the deck;)

Kind Regards

Nigel
My concern is that the exit holes are not going to be lined up outside of the hull as maybe I won’t get the right angle for all the scuppers.

My concern is that the exit holes are not going to be lined up outside of the hull as maybe I won’t get the right angle for all the scuppers.
I hear you Zoly..., then, using the jig Nigel describes in previous post, drill the hole inside the bulwark\waterway just half way thru, and another hole outside. I suspect you will use copper\brass tube for the scuppers?

I hear you Zoly..., then, using the jig Nigel describes in previous post, drill the hole inside the bulwark\waterway just half way thru, and another hole outside. I suspect you will use copper\brass tube for the scuppers?
So a dummy holes both sides but not completely through and place blackened brass tubes in holes,not sure if they had tubes in there

Jim this drawing is for a modern steel-hulled vessel
Thanks, Nigel! Yes, I am aware that it is steel. I did find another sketch. While it doesn't belong to a specific ship, it does give an idea. Lead openings were used in 16-19th Centuries. Imitate with blackened brass is possible.

IMG_0948.jpeg

Hi Zoly I have used cable sleeves for this, these are from silver so you can color them with egg yoke to look like lead.
20190106_140420.jpg
These are available in all different sizes.
20190106_140436.jpg
The outside in my RC is fitted with carvings but guess that wont be the case in your man of war.

Hi ZOLY, I HATE TO GIVE SOMEONE AS GOOD AS YOU SOME ADVICE, BUT BECAUSE AT MY SKILL LEVEL I HAVE TO REMOVE ITEMS A GREAT DEAL, MY METHOD FOR BOTH CA AND PVA GLUE IS THIS GET SOME NAIL POLISH REMOVER IT MUST BE 100% ACOTONE USE A COTTON SWAB RUB IT ON THE JOINT AND CAREFULY WITH AN XACTO BLADE START PRYING IT LOOSE, YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THIS A FEW TIMES UNTIL IT COMES LOOSE, IT WILL NOT DAMAGE THE WOOD OR DISCOLOR IT, TAKE IT FROM ME IT WORKS HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH THIS. Don TRY IT ON A PIECE OF SCRAP

Hi ZOLY, I HATE TO GIVE SOMEONE AS GOOD AS YOU SOME ADVICE, BUT BECAUSE AT MY SKILL LEVEL I HAVE TO REMOVE ITEMS A GREAT DEAL, MY METHOD FOR BOTH CA AND PVA GLUE IS THIS GET SOME NAIL POLISH REMOVER IT MUST BE 100% ACOTONE USE A COTTON SWAB RUB IT ON THE JOINT AND CAREFULY WITH AN XACTO BLADE START PRYING IT LOOSE, YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THIS A FEW TIMES UNTIL IT COMES LOOSE, IT WILL NOT DAMAGE THE WOOD OR DISCOLOR IT, TAKE IT FROM ME IT WORKS HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH THIS. Don TRY IT ON A PIECE OF SCRAP
Hi Don,I have chosen not to remove the waterways ,I sanded it down to half thickness

Hello everyone ,I had a little fun cutting out this doorway ,first I drilled a bunch of holes inside the line then rest of the door and chipped the pieces of with a mini plier ,after I used my Permagrit files to sand it to the correct shape.

276AE687-3EF6-4850-BBC8-58B84E948CFC.jpeg072A91ED-8D1F-46F4-BD36-70D59751452D.jpeg255E9997-F758-4632-BD89-9D5370F8BD15.jpegA7327469-D389-462B-A0F8-BBC6447DEA4B.jpeg1DFAFE2A-E486-46F1-BAF2-6F0FF5F1971F.jpegE00FC445-5D12-4B52-B7AB-6EC80E3437B6.jpeg

Back