HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

Looking at the geometry of the hull,are the outer windows,i.e. two on each side,false?Does the hull follow through to the transom?I know lot's of questions Zolly,but I am unfamiliar with this vessel.It is quite normal that quarter windows and the ones at the stern adjacent to the heads are imitation for obvious reasons.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Looking at the geometry of the hull,are the outer windows,i.e. two on each side,false?Does the hull follow through to the transom?I know lot's of questions Zolly,but I am unfamiliar with this vessel.It is quite normal that quarter windows and the ones at the stern adjacent to the heads are imitation for obvious reasons.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,there are lots errors at the stern,I will post some images later to explain them.

Kind Regards

Nigel
So here is the issue,the hull line is not butting up the quarter window frame at the stern.

2020-04-05 14.32.10-1.jpg
Should be much wider

2020-04-07 08.25.30.jpg
Look at on the MarisStella kit where the bulwark buts against the quarter window frame

20327C85-B794-426D-A632-A7C2366F210A.png

Ooh yes I see what you mean Zolly.Only easyish fix would be to loose one of the stern windows and reprofile the transom,but then again it will look a lot less like Ontario.You can carry on as you are and run the planking true when you get above the windows but just be aware the roofs of the side galleries may appear overly wide projecting from the hull sides.

Good Luck

Nigel

Ooh yes I see what you mean Zolly.Only easyish fix would be to loose one of the stern windows and reprofile the transom,but then again it will look a lot less like Ontario.You can carry on as you are and run the planking true when you get above the windows but just be aware the roofs of the side galleries may appear overly wide projecting from the hull sides.

Good Luck

Nigel
If you keep a secret and won't tell anyone ,nobody will notice and know it.Lol

I agree it must be the plans.The hull has a nice curve to it.Every bulkhead must have an error from deadflat astern.This error increases the further aft you go.I feel there must have been some misinterpretation of the waterlines plan when creating the bulkhead shapes because everything flows too well.

Kind Regards

Nigel

If you didn’t tell me there was a problem I wouldn’t ever know as I have no idea what it’s supposed to look like in real life.

So unless someone is an expert on this ship I don’t think anyone would notice the issues

Another question, are you sure that the stern windows are correct? If I look at the timberwork, there is a difference between the timbers and the windows in the plywood. If the size of the windows is correct, than the position of the timbers is wrong. The window frames are sitting between the timbers. This gives you on each side 4-5 mm. If it's not enough, make the windows a little bit smaller.

Another question, are you sure that the stern windows are correct? If I look at the timberwork, there is a difference between the timbers and the windows in the plywood. If the size of the windows is correct, then the position of the timbers is wrong. The window frames are sitting between the timbers. This gives you on each side 4-5 mm. If it's not enough, make the windows a little bit smaller.
Hi Christian, I have verified all the possibilities, I even printed smaller stern plate, my conclusion is that the hull frames/bulkheads are too narrow at the stern the hull lines are ending at the wrong spot.

Back